Cut Your Own Nano SIM for iPhone 5
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Charmed, Eng, Jen M and 2 others
- 1 iPhone 5 is the fifth generation of Apple's very famous phone, the iPhone. The phone comes with a four-inch retina display and runs on an A6 processor chip. This is part of the VisiHow series on how to use the iPhone 5. The link to the mother VisiHow is here - Use iPhone 5
- 2 How to Cut Your Own Nano SIM from a Mini SIM
- 3 How to Cut Your Own Nano SIM from a Micro SIM
- 4 Tips Tricks & Warnings
- 5 Referencing this Article
- 6 Comments
iPhone introduced the micro-SIM to the world. It is a smaller Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) than the regular Mini SIM. The contact points are the same so trimming down on the non-contacting plastic of the SIM will convert a Mini SIM into a Nano SIM. Nano SIM are used by iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S4, Nokia Lumia 800 and others.
Forward 2012 and we are introduced to iPhone 5. Along with the iPhone 5 is the new smaller version of a SIM. iPhone 5 uses a much smaller SIM card than the more common Mini SIM. However, it is good to note that the contacts arrangement of the SIM is similar to the Mini SIM and Nano SIM meaning that you can concisely cut your own Nano SIM from a Mini SIM and Micro SIM.
How to Cut Your Own Nano SIM from a Mini SIM
Observing precision cutting procedures and following the instructions below, you can cut your own Nano SIM from an existing Mini SIM and Micro SIM.
- 2Put you SIM card firmly on the second template (Mini-SIM (2FF) to NanoSIM (4FF).Using a double-sided1 tape.Advertisement
- 3Using a ruler and a marker, draw the outline of the lines that will be cut from your Mini SIM.
- 4Using a sharp cutter 2, cut your Mini SIM along the outlined lines.
- 5After cutting, smooth the edges using a file or a sandpaper.
1 You can use a single-sided tape by neatly overlapping the ends of the tape together.
2 A scissors or any sharp cutting device may be used. However, a cutter works best in this scenario.
How to Cut Your Own Nano SIM from a Micro SIM
If you are using a Micro SIM, you can follow the tutorial below to cut your own Nano SIM:
- 2Using a double-sided tape, put your SIM card firmly on the third template (MicroSIM (3FF) to NanoSIM (4FF).
- 3Using a ruler and a marker, draw the outline of the lines that will be cut from your Micro SIM.
- 4Using a sharp cutter, cut your Micro SIM along the outlined lines.
- 5After cutting, smooth the edges using a file or a sandpaper.Advertisement
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Be sure to be careful when cutting the SIM, a single wrong move may damage the SIM card permanently, rendering it useless.
- It is advisable to use fresh SIM cards on your first attempts to get the hang of things. Only use your current SIM card when you are sure that you have perfected the procedure.
- You can use SIM adapters to use a smaller type of SIM card as a larger one.
- A less risky way of using the same number on a new type of SIM card is to ask if your network provider for a SIM Swap. This is the swapping of SIM information from one SIM to another. SIM Swap may only be possible if the swap is done within the same network.
- Please remember that cutting a SIM card can destroy it! Follow the instructions above at your own risk!
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Cut Your Own Nano SIM for iPhone 5. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 28, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Cut_Your_Own_Nano_SIM_for_iPhone_5
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Cut Your Own Nano SIM for iPhone 5." VisiHow, visihow.com/Cut_Your_Own_Nano_SIM_for_iPhone_5 Accessed 28 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Cut Your Own Nano SIM for iPhone 5." Accessed Apr 28, 2017. http://visihow.com/Cut_Your_Own_Nano_SIM_for_iPhone_5.
Categories : IPhone
Recent edits by: Doug Collins, Jen M, Eng