Make Croissant Bread Pudding with Maple Syrup
Edited by Monika, Graeme, Robbi, Lynn and 3 others
This is a pudding that, when you serve it to friends, will get you an "I will love you forever" response.
It has all the elements of the comfort foods that we all loved as kids, as well as grown-up flavors that make it a very sophisticated dessert.
The maple syrup may be a surprising ingredient, but it gives a depth of flavor that is wonderful.
Ingredients and Cooking Time
Cooking Time: 45-60 min Yield: 8 large servings
- 16 leftover croissants, about 8 cups, cut into cubesAdvertisement
- 22 cups heavy (double) creamAdvertisement
- 32 cups whole milk
- 41 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 5Pinch salt
- 66 large eggs
- 71 cup granulated sugar
- 1Butter a 9 by 9-inch baking dish.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (180 degrees C).Advertisement
- 2Put in the oven and toast for 10-15 minutes until slightly crispy, then allow to cool and put them in the buttered baking dish.Cut the croissants into 1-inch (2 ½ cm) cubes and put them on a baking sheet.
- 3Stir occasionally, making sure it doesn't burn or stick. Remove from heat and allow to infuse for about 10 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean and discard.Put the milk, cream, salt and vanilla bean into a saucepan and over medium heat, bring to a fast simmer (do not boil).
- 4While whisking constantly, slowly pour in the hot cream mixture. Strain egg/cream mixture and pour over the croissant cubes, then refrigerate. Let stand for at least 60 minutes or overnight*, gently turning the cubes over several times. *Allowing the croissants to soak overnight gives the pudding an extra creamy texture.Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl.
- 5Put a baking pan large enough to hold the pudding dish in the oven and half fill with water. Allow the water to warm up before putting pudding dish in it. Once the water is quite warm (10-15 min.), put the pudding dish in the water bath.About half an hour before you are ready to bake the pudding, bring the mixture to room temperature.
- 6Test by inserting a clean knife into the center, if it comes out clean it's done. Even if the pudding wobbles slightly, remove it from the oven, and it will continue to cook for a few more minutes. Allow to cool.Bake until just set and light golden brown on top, about 45-60 minutes.Advertisement
Pour 3-4 tbsp. maple syrup over pudding and top with brandy cream, double cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Eat warm or cold; however the pudding is best warm and can be re-heated in a microwave-proof bowl. To serve, pour maple syrup (3-4 tbsp., or however much you like) over the pudding and microwave for about 1 minute on full power. (Be careful to open the middle of the pudding to allow steam to escape before eating - the maple syrup will get very hot!). Top bread pudding with brandy cream, double cream or ice cream.
- Once you have tried this pudding, you will savor it in your mind for some time to come, and I'm sure you will make it over and over again. If you are a bit down, a few mouthfuls of this could be called love in a bowl ... with ice cream!
Categories : Desserts
Recent edits by: Rob, Eng, Lynn