Create a public key using putty so you can login via ssh key pair
Edited by Cave Man
To create an ssh key using putty you need to download the full putty suite. This procedure was not intuitive to me so I am writing out the exact steps for anyone to follow.
- 8Launch Putty.exe and "load" the profile you want to add the ssh key pair to. THIS IS IMPORTANT. YOU MUST LOAD THE PROFILE FIRST OR THE NEXT STEP DOESN'T WORK. Now choose Connection > SSH > Auth in the left pane of the window. Now click the browse button and select your puttyprivatekey.ppk file.Configure putty to use this new key for the "connection" you wish.
- 9Now here is where I got stuck. The only button I could see after that was the open button. You do not click this button. Instead go back to your connection under the session screen by clicking on Category > Session in the left pane. It will already be loaded from the previous step. (If you didn't load it, it's too late.. go back a step) Now click on "Save".Now save this key to your connection profile.
- 12If you added a password while creating your ssh key pair you must enter it now.Advertisement
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Creating a ssh key pair without a password is both convenient but dangerous. Be sure to keep your private key very safe if you choose not to use a password!
- You can also configure putty to auto login as a particular user for complete login automation under the category "Connection > Data" in the left pane.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Create a public key using putty so you can login via ssh key pair. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 30, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Create_a_public_key_using_putty_so_you_can_login_via_ssh_key_pair
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Create a public key using putty so you can login via ssh key pair." VisiHow, visihow.com/Create_a_public_key_using_putty_so_you_can_login_via_ssh_key_pair Accessed 30 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Create a public key using putty so you can login via ssh key pair." Accessed Apr 30, 2017. http://visihow.com/Create_a_public_key_using_putty_so_you_can_login_via_ssh_key_pair.
Categories : Websites