Create a Tie-Dyed Tee Shirt
Edited by Robbi, Eng, Graeme, Lynn and 2 others
Tie dye may remind many of us of the late Sixties and Seventies when it seemed that nearly everyone was wearing something tie dyed. Today that is starting to make a fashion comeback, and creating your own interesting dye strategy is part of the fun. Using rubber bands, strings and even pieces of tape to cover the shirts or other items, you can make a pattern that is unique to you.
Is there anything more retro and fun to make than a tie-dyed tee shirt? Whether you want to relive the 60's or simply work on fun crafts with the kids, tie dyed tee shirts are a good option.
This craft is easy to do, reasonably priced and of course nice and messy!
Gather Supplies- You Will Need:
Your first order of business is gathering supplies. For this craft, you will need:
1- White cotton T-shirt
2- Fabric dye
4- Rubber gloves
5- Rubber band
6- Tape or other items to create patterns.
How to Make Tie Dyed TeeShirts
- 1Cover your work area with newspaper before getting started.Advertisement
- 2Soak - For the best results soak the tee shirt in a mixture of water, soda ash and a tiny bit of salt.Advertisement
- 3Prep - Wring out excess water.
- 4Tie - Lay out your white cotton shirt flat on the work surface.
- Next, choose a spot in the center of the shirt and pinch up a small amount of fabric.
- While holding the pinched area begin, spinning the shirt around into tight coils and then securing with rubber bands.
- 5Dye - Working with dye will be easier if you first pour it into smaller squirt bottles.
- Choose your favorite colors, set up your bottles and begin dying the shirt. ##Many people choose to dye it in sections created by the rubber band placement.
- 6Wring - After fully dying the tee shirt, take it to the sink or another safe location and wring out the excess dye before setting.
- 7Set - Once you have fully saturated the shirt in your favorite colors it is time to put it away to "set".
- A simple plastic grocery sack is fine or you can use a large zip lock bag. ##Place your dyed shirt inside and leave for several days.
- 8Rinse - After a few days to a week, it is time to begin rinsing your tee shirt.
- Run cold water in the kitchen sink (provided it is stainless steel.) and begin scrubbing and wringing the shirt.
- This removes excess dye and gives you the first glimpse of your finished product.
- 9The latter is very important, as you do not want bright colors to bleed all over towels or other clothing items.Wash - Before wearing your tie-dyed tee shirt it is important to run it through a wash cycle, alone!
- 10Dry - depending on the use for your tie dyed tee shirt you can choose between using your dryer or line drying.
- 11You may also get a bit of dye in the dryer, which is not good for future laundry endeavors.A dryer works faster but can also cause fabrics to shrink.Advertisement
Summing it All Up
There are no hard and fast rules on how to tie dye a T-shirt. In fact, take the time to experiment with colors as well as techniques.
For example, folding the shirt first and creating unique sections can create fish scale patterns, hearts and much more. The key to tie dying is to have a good time!
Remember to log and keep notes of your experiments, so later, if you come up with an interesting tie dying technique, maybe you can also add-up in here and enrich us with it.
And remember, sharing is caring.
Questions and Answers
How to make the aesthetic pattern in tie dye?
It is for an examination so I need help.
The tie-dye pattern is made by pinching and twisting a spot on the shirt, tying sections with rubber bands, and then dying each section with a different color. This creates the tie-dye pattern that looks like multiple, twisted circles of color.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Create a Tie-Dyed Tee Shirt. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 26, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Create_a_Tie-Dyed_Tee_Shirt
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Create a Tie-Dyed Tee Shirt." VisiHow, visihow.com/Create_a_Tie-Dyed_Tee_Shirt Accessed 26 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Create a Tie-Dyed Tee Shirt." Accessed Apr 26, 2017. http://visihow.com/Create_a_Tie-Dyed_Tee_Shirt.
Categories : Repurposing Crafts
Recent edits by: Dougie, Lynn, Graeme