Create a PowerPoint Presentation
Edited by Mark Zonio, Robbi, Eng, Lynn and 2 others
A PowerPoint presentation is a slide show which has been created using Microsoft's PowerPoint software. It is the most popular presentation software. PowerPoint is a useful presentation tool as it can help to make your point clear when you use it to accompany a speech. With it's numerous functions, many students and business people use this in conducting presentations with slideshows. Learning how to do a PowerPoint presentation will give us an edge either in school or company. Learn and understand how to create a good PowerPoint presentation on this page.
- 1 Development of PowerPoint
- 2 Using PowerPoint
- 3 Creating a PowerPoint presentation
- 4 Using and Creating Templates
- 5 How to make a good presentation delivery?
- 6 How to enhance appearance of images in a PowerPoint slide?
- 7 How to make a stand alone PowerPoint presentation?
- 8 Tips
- 9 Questions and Answers
- 10 Comments
Development of PowerPoint
In May 22, 1990, Microsoft PowerPoint was officially released by Microsoft. The initial name was called "Presenter" and it was then renamed "PowerPoint" in 1987.
PowerPoint introduced many new changes with the release of PowerPoint 97. PowerPoint 97 incorporated the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) language. This macro generation in Office 97 allows users to invoke pre-defined transitions and effects in a non-linear movie-like style without the need to learn programming. Then the PowerPoint 2000 introduced a clipboard that can hold multiple objects at a time.
In many companies, PowerPoint has become one of the most used tools. With the purpose to communicate effectively, this tool will enable you to connect and persuade your audience. PowerPoint has been widely use because it comes with a lot of advantages.
Quick and easy to use - The basic features are easy to master.
Simple bullet points - It can reduce complicated messages to simple bullet points. Bullet points remind the speaker of main points and organize the message well.
Good design - Standard templates and themes make your work look better.
Easy to modify and organize - Changes in any part of the slide can be easily performed. Slides can be easily re-ordered by dragging the slides in accordance to the desired sequence.
This allows you to include parts of documents, spreadsheets, and graphics.
Make your presentations look good and organized. - Slide shows can start and end the way you want them to look.
Creating a PowerPoint presentation
- 2The contents and details of the presentation will make the idea you wish to express. You have to add text, shapes, images, tables, charts, multimedia and sounds, or objects, depending on the needs of your presentation. From the INSERT menu, select the tab for your desired content to be inserted in the slide.Insert text, shapes, images, tables, charts, multimedia and sounds, and objects.Advertisement
- 3PowerPoint has useful toolbars that will make your editing and formatting easy. To activate these tools, simply put a check next to the desired tool from the TOOLBARS list tab. The common and often used toolbars are STANDARD, FORMATTING, DRAWING, PICTURE, TABLES and BORDERS, and WORD ART toolbars. These are essential tools that will help you embed your ideas into the PowerPoint slide.Editing and formatting tools.
- 4Animations and transitions can be added to objects. This will make motions and effects as a selected object appears, moves, and disappears. Select or click the object you wanted to add animations and transitions. From the SLIDE SHOW menu, select the CUSTOM ANIMATION or SLIDE TRANSITION tab. Then set the effect you want to embed to your object. You can also organize the sequence and timing of the animation and transition. Click Play to preview the animation and make the necessary adjustments on the settings of your animations and transitions.Add animations and transitions.
Using and Creating Templates
Templates will improves your design. This creates signatures and identity for your works. Create and save your own template to save time. Microsoft PowerPoint also provides design templates that you can apply to a presentation to give it a fully designed, professional look. To open existing or available templates:
- 1From the VIEW tab, put a check mark next to the TASK PANE option under it to enable the TASK PANE window.
- 2From the TASK PANE window, set the drop button and select NEW PRESENTATION
- 3Click the General templates option.NEW PRESENTATION options will display to the task pane.
How to make a good presentation delivery?
- By using the slide master feature, you will be able to create a consistent design which is important in presentation delivery. Establishing contrasting colors for background and text is a must too. Templates consistency and simplicity of the design is best for effective delivery.
- Font size is very essential; do not use one that is barely visible. A good example of fonts is "sans serif like Arial Rounded MT Bold". Size should be at least 32. Do not use all caps, limit the punctuation marks you are going to use, use font color if you need to highlight. Rule of thumb: Do not create more than 6 lines of text per slide and do not write more than 6 words in every line of text.
- The images you are using should make impact. Testing them prior to presentation will be a great idea; some do not retain image quality when projected on larger screens. They should reinforce the presentation and should not provide as space fillers.
- Adding up heaps of special effects like transitions, and sounds on your slides will lose professional touch that you want to portray. Try to minimize using them; the purpose is to impact the presentation and not to distract.
- Follow this simple rule: One slide per minute, no more than that. If you have too many and rushes in discussing them, chances are your message will not get across to your audience.
- Never read your slides while facing the screen. You have to know your presentation by heart and explain your data to your audience.
- Learn how to navigate your presentation to make it easier for you to move forward or backward for instance. Here are some helpful shortcuts:
Advance to next slide - N, ENTER, PAGE DOWN, RIGHT ARROW, DOWN ARROW
If you want to return to previous slide - Backspace
Jump to slide number __ - <number> and Enter
Returning to slide show from a black screen - Period or B
Display a white screen - Comma or W
Restart, Stop auto slide show - + or S
Ending a slide show - Hyphen, Ctrl + Break or Esc.
How to enhance appearance of images in a PowerPoint slide?
By enhancing image quality, it means changing the color saturation, applying re-color effects, and changing the color tones. However, if you need to reduce the image file size, you can compress and crop it. Most of the time, it does not change the quality of the images.
Enhancing File Size and Resolution
- Start PowerPoint, search for the slide that contains the image you want to enhance. Select the image by clicking on it.
- Click "Format Tab" > select "Picture Tools" > click "Compress Pictures"
- Click "Apply Only to This Picture", if you want to change all of the images then deselect this option.
- From the "Target Output Menu" select a resolution > click "File" to change the default resolution of the whole document. > Select "Options" > "Advanced"
- In the "Image Size and Quality" section, select the document > choose the resolution you want in this menu "Set Default Target Output To".
Image Colors Enhancing
- Select the image that you want to change. Click "Format Tab" > choose "Picture Tools" > click "Color" (you can find color option from the ribbon's adjust section)
- Find the "Saturation" slider and drag it to search for your desired color saturation. Click "Preset" if you want to change it using the preset saturation levels.
- Drag the "Temperature" slider to edit the color tones.
- For recolor preset, you can choose from red recolor, sepia tone, or grayscale.
- Click "Set Transparent Color" to increase the color transparency and then click the image's color.
Cropping an Image
- Navigate the slide to find the image you want to crop. Click on the image > click "Format Tab" choose > "Picture Tools" and lastly, click "Crop".
- If you need to crop one edge, drag the center cropping handle to the middle of the image. Hold Ctrl key, and drag to crop the opposite side simultaneously.
- Drag the corner cropping handle to the middle of the image to crop from any corner. You can crop all four edges at the same time by simultaneously doing it while holding the Ctrl key.
- Click "Format" tab > choose "Picture Tools" click "Compress Pictures" > click "Delete Cropped Areas of Pictures" and tick the box.
How to make a stand alone PowerPoint presentation?
For you to be able to transform your PowerPoint slide show into Stand Alone presentation, you need to have Able Photo Slide Show. Here is the procedure on how it is done:
- Open the presentation > choose File then "Save as"
- Choose the .jpg format and click "Save"
- At this point, it will ask "Would you like to export the slides in the presentation?" click YES. Now, your slides are saved as images and will be saved in a separate folder. This is the first step, turn the slides into JPEG file.
- Shut PowerPoint and launch Able Photo Slide Show program.
- From "Options" menu, select the slide show options > press "Manager" button.
- Now, go to the directory and find the JPEG file you saved earlier.
- Select "Add" or "Add All" or you can alternatively double click on the file folder.
- Press this button "Make EXE, SCR"
- Choose the folder and file name for the stand alone slide show.
- Click "Save".
- Making a good PowerPoint presentation
A good PowerPoint must have a control in the amount of information, control in the amount of animation, and clear visual. This helps deliver the message more efficiently. You can improve the content by taking in mind the following considerations.
Maintain text appropriateness - Ensure proper spelling and grammar. To check spelling, click the F7 key on your keyboard. Use proper font type and size that is readable enough from the distance of expected readers.
Setting appropriate color - Select the appropriate color that is easy to read and generally looks best. This enhances the appearance of text and figures,
Using Multimedia - Add movies, images and sounds to a PowerPoint to help draw attention to important pieces of information. But also control the amount of multimedia to avoid distraction and confuse.
Using the appropriate presentation speed - This gives enough time so that your audience will be able to absorb the message, but not so long that they get bored.
Preview your presentation before you present it - This gives you the opportunity to review your work and make the necessary corrections and revisions. You will also be able to practice how you are going to deliver your talks in contrast to your presentation slide.
Other important considerations - Use one to two slides per minute of your presentation. Write it in point form, not complete sentences, which means you must avoid wordiness and use key words and phrases only. This will make your audience concentrate on what you are saying. Use graphs rather than just charts and words. Data in graphs is easier to comprehend and retain than is raw data.
- If you have any concerns with any of these steps please post in the comments section below.
Questions and Answers
How can I do a table of contents for a power point slide show for a community garden?
The table of contents should come on the 3rd slide of your presentation. 1st slide would be the title of the event or presentation. 2nd slide should be the overall objectives of your presentation. 3rd slide should then break down those objectives into more specific topics that you would discuss in order to meet those objectives.
To create a table of contents, you need to create a slide with at least 2 columns. First column would be the topic title and then second column should contain the slide number/s of that particular topic.
What must I write in the table of contents?
I am doing a PowerPoint presentation on the role of networks in the computer world. I have tried: What is a table of contents. I think it was caused by: I don't know!
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Categories : Communications & Education
Recent edits by: Maureen D., Lynn, Eng