Cope With Stress at School
Edited by Debbie, Anonymous, Innocent Yogo, Nate Pepperell and 4 others
Do you feel like your parents just don't understand how much stress you are under at school? They may tell you that you don't have mouths to feed and a house payment to pay off, but you may feel like you have as much pressure to face as they do, maybe even more. Just going to school can be stressful for some kids.
Many children feel that they are stressed because of what teachers expect of them. They want them to push to get the best grades as possible. Some teachers make you feel bad if you don't follow through with the academic goals that they feel you should follow. Maybe you face peer pressure from others too. In high school, kids have more freedom and rebel more. If you don't join them, they might feel you are not cool. Others may try to get you involved in drinking and sex, and it may be hard to resist when you just want to fit in. And when you don't join in, you may get called names or otherwise harassed. Then there are stress-causing events that you can't control. There are fights that break out on the bus. Then the driver has to pull over to take care of the situation and they get you to school late.
- 1Upcoming tests.Advertisement
- 3Parents expecting too much of you.
- 5Sexual aggravation.
To be realistic, you will have to face some kind of stress in school, but too much can be overbearing. The key is learning how to manage it. You can take the following steps to help you:
Steps to Manage Stress
- 1Identify the specific causes.Think about what is stressing you out. Is it homework? Bullying?Advertisement
- 2Do research.For example if you have a heavy load of homework to do, read up on ways through the internet or library for tips on the best way you can get your work done and on time.
- 3Apply effective time management.Prioritize doing the schoolwork that are most important, or most urgent (deadline is near) and do not neglect or procrastinate on any project or requirement just because you do not like it. Eventually, your teacher will ask you for that requirement, so do not wait until the teacher asks that dreaded question. Challenge yourself to finish each requirement in a specific time frame so that you can be able to finish all that is required of you.
- 4Don't put things off.If you ignore things, your problems won't go away. They will get worse and that will only add more stress. Once you think about how you will tackle it, don't delay in doing it.
- 5Ask someone for help.You don't have to carry the heavy load of things yourself. Why not ask your parents to assist you? Ask them to give you some suggestions and advice.
- 6Create a conducive atmosphere for studying.Some students learn better when there is background music. Others like silence. Many like studying in the early morning when they are fresh but to others, studying in the nighttime works for them. Some say that they like munching on food when they study (studying makes them hungry) while others want to focus on their studying and not do anything else. They would rather eat at a separate time from studying. Some students say they want to watch TV in between study sessions. Others simply just want to take a power nap in between. Whatever is proven as effective for you, just do it.
Living with stress is not an easy thing, but if you learn to manage it properly, stress will not harm you. It will make you a stronger person.
Other Things To Consider
- 1When you have plenty of requirements from school, you should not worry.Breathe deeply and relax. Try to think possible ways on how to do them easily.Advertisement
- 2Ask someones assistance.You can ask for someones assistance in order not to be stressed in school. With their help, you can make the requirements in a short period of time.
- 3If you are stressed because of bullying.You can report it to the school principal or school head. Next to do is to avoid them meeting in the way. If you saw them on the hall, take reroute in order to avoid them.
- 4Don't think pressure in school when you are at home.Just find time to make your mind at peace.Advertisement
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Find some time to relax after you do your homework for school.
- It is important to eat the right foods to gain the energy to beat stress.
- Find someone you trust to confide in when you're feeling down.
- Always try to do what is right to avoid having any problem with your tutors.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Communications & Education
Recent edits by: Jonathan, Eng, Lynn