Cook an Oxtail Soup
Edited by Kathleen, Lynn, Maria, Eng and 2 others
During rainy days, nothing is as comforting as indulging yourself in a warm or hot comfort food. You probably already have your own list of "winter recipes" in mind, but in my case, nothing can beat an old stew recipe that my mother always prepared on cold nights, especially now that the holidays are coming.
I am talking about a very delicious beef soup - oxtail soup. In many parts of the world, people have come up with different versions of this dish. Mine is an old-style slow cooking that is rather a long process. However, as some would put it, "Patience is a virtue," and I assure you this version of oxtail soup will really be worth the wait. Plus, as I have told you, this is an old recipe - tested for many generations.
Making Oxtail Soup
Now, so much for the talk; it's time to get things started.
Before you start cooking, you first have to prepare all the necessary ingredients.
- 1 kilo of oxtail, cut into chunks or your preferred size
- 1 cup of flour
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1 white onion, minced
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 5 cups of water or beef broth
- 2 teaspoons of salt (depending on your preference)
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper (to taste)
- 2-3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- ½ teaspoon thyme (or basil)
- 2 medium-sized carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced (for added flavour)
- Parsley (for taste and presentation)
- 1Heat the pan with oil over medium heat.Advertisement
- 5Add the tomato paste, thyme, bay leaf, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 10You may put parsley on top for added presentation.
- 12This recipe makes five to six servings.Advertisement
- If you want a more flavorful soup, you can braise the oxtail meat throughout slow cooking. In this manner, you are allowing the meat to become more tender, and at the same time, bringing out extra-flavor from the bones and marrow.
- Just in case you cannot find oxtail meat, you may substitute with short ribs, meaty veal or beef neck, but don't expect it to be as flavorful as oxtail soup.
- If you want to add an additional kick to your soup, you may put in red pepper flakes or paprika.
- Red wine can also be incorporated in the beef stock for additional flavor. (Don't worry about the alcohol content. The alcohol evaporates as you cook it and only the flavor will remain.)
- Aside from bread, mashed potatoes also goes well with this dish.
Questions and Answers
How much is a kilo of ox tails?
I don't know how to figure pounds versus kilos-
One kilo (kilogram) is equal to 2.2 pounds.
Oxtails take how long to cook in a pressure cooker?
Cooking time for oxtail using a pressure cooker
Brown the oxtail for 10 minutes first. Combine the liquid to the oxtail as well as the seasonings once you have finished browning the meat. Add everything but the vegetables and cook for 40 minutes. You will then add the vegetables and cook for another 20 minutes or until they are tender and the oxtail comes easily off the bone.
Categories : Cooking
Recent edits by: Nuance, Eng, Maria