Cook Tuna Spaghetti with Red Sauce
Edited by mahalia jovita b. bugasto, Rebecca M., Alma, Jmgf and 2 others
Usually most people hear the word spaghetti, they imagine pasta covered in a meaty red sauce with mushrooms, carrots, and a little bit of pesto. There are those however, who are watching their cholesterol levels, or simply don't prefer to eat red meat. What can they do to enjoy spaghetti just like any other individual? It is actually very simple to change the dynamics of spaghetti and make a much healthier choice.. How can you achieve that you say? It is fairly simple change the total make-up of the spaghetti. It can be made into something more healthy while still being a delicious and satisfying meal. A good example of this is to change the meat component of the regular spaghetti use something healthier such as tuna. Tuna can be the main ingredient of your dish but everything stays the same. Tuna is rich in Omega-3 acids that lessen the amount of cholesterol in the dish and help you maintain a heart healthy diet. Spaghetti with tuna is a filling, heart healthy dish that can be prepared in the comfort of your own home whenever you want it.
- 1/2 kg (1 lb.) of spaghetti noodles or pasta
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml.) of olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1 small can of tuna or ¼ kg (8 oz.)of raw tuna
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 small can mushroom, pieces and stem
- 500ml (2 cups) of tomato sauce
- 1/2 pack of instant pesto
- salt and pepper to taste
- half a bar of regular cheese, grated
- 1Fill a large pot 3/4 full of water and bring to a boil.Advertisement
- 2Add a drizzle of olive oil in the water and a pinch of salt.Advertisement
- 3When the water is boiling, add the spaghetti noodles and make sure all pasta is submerged.
- 4Let it boil, stir constantly (to prevent the noodles from sticking onto the bottom of the pot)
- 5Once noodles are cooked, strain and rinse with cold water, then set aside.(You will know if noodles are cooked when you can easily cut a piece with just your fingers)
- 1Place the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.Advertisement
- 2Sauté the garlic, until it is golden brown.
- 3Add the onions and stir until it is translucent
- 4Now add the tuna meat and let it simmer for about 3 minutes
- 5Add the tomato sauce into the tuna and stir
- 6Add half a cup of water and stir
- 7Put in the carrots and let the sauce boil for about 5 minutes
- 8Open the can of mushrooms and add it into the mixture, stir and let it boil for 3 minutes.
- 9The finishing touch is the instant pesto, then salt and pepper to taste, simmer for another 2 minutes and set aside.Advertisement
- Place the desired amount of spaghetti onto plates and drizzle a liberal amount of the tuna red sauce over the noodles.
- Sprinkle the top with grated cheese and serve immediately.
Questions and Answers
Should I serve my tuna dish by itself or should I add a side dish with it?
It is preferable that side dishes are prepared to go with any tuna dish, but the side dish should complement the tuna dish. Serving a side dish with the tuna dish is an option for the one preparing it. Depending on the people for whom the tuna dish was prepared, side dishes can be a great way to enhance the meal experience. Wheat and garlic breads, crouton soups, fruits and salads are just a few of the best partners for any tuna dish.
- Make sure that the side dish will complement the prepared tuna dish.
- As much as possible, the side dish should be something completely different from the main dish.
- The side dish should enhance and maximize the taste of the tuna dish, and it must not overtake the main dish. Just as the word itself suggests, "side" dishes are meant to be eaten on the side of the main dish.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Cook Tuna Spaghetti with Red Sauce. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 23, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Cook_Tuna_Spaghetti_with_Red_Sauce
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Cook Tuna Spaghetti with Red Sauce." VisiHow, visihow.com/Cook_Tuna_Spaghetti_with_Red_Sauce Accessed 23 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Cook Tuna Spaghetti with Red Sauce." Accessed Mar 23, 2017. http://visihow.com/Cook_Tuna_Spaghetti_with_Red_Sauce.
Categories : Cooking
Recent edits by: Lynn, Jmgf, Alma