Cook Tuna Spaghetti with Red Sauce
Edited by mahalia jovita b. bugasto, Rebecca M., Alma, Jmgf and 3 others
When most people hear the word spaghetti, they imagine pasta covered in a meaty red sauce with mushrooms, carrots, and perhaps a little bit of pesto.
There are those, however, who are watching their cholesterol levels, or choose not to eat red meat. What changes can they make to enjoy spaghetti just like any other individual?
Tuna Spaghetti with Red Sauce
It is actually very simple to change the dynamics of spaghetti and make a much healthier choice. How can you achieve that you say? It is fairly simple - change the total make-up of the spaghetti. It can be made into something healthier, while still being a delicious and satisfying meal. A good example is instead of the usual ground beef used in spaghetti; make it with something healthier such as tuna. Simply substituting ground beef with tuna, so it becomes the main ingredient of your dish, and yet everything else remains the same. Tuna is rich in Omega-3 acids that lessen the amount of cholesterol in the dish and help you maintain a healthy diet. Spaghetti with tuna is a filling, healthy dish that is just as easy as spaghetti to prepare.
Ingredients for Tuna Spaghetti
- 1/2 kg (1 lb.) of spaghetti noodles or pasta
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml.) of olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1 small can of tuna or ¼ kg (8 oz.) of tuna
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 small can mushroom, pieces and stems
- 500ml (2 cups) of tomato sauce
- 1/2 pack of instant pesto mix, or from the jar
- salt and pepper to taste
- half a bar of regular cheese, grated
- 1Place the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.Advertisement
- 2Sauté the garlic, until it is golden brown.Advertisement
- 3Add the onions and stir until they become translucent
- 4Now add the tuna and let it simmer for about 3 minutes
- 5Add the tomato sauce and stir
- 6Add half a cup of water and stir
- 7Add the carrots and let the sauce boil for about 5 minutes
- 8Open the can of mushrooms and add them into the mixture.
- 9Stir and let it boil for 3 minutes.
- 10The finishing touch is the instant pesto, then salt and pepper to taste, simmer for another 2 minutes and set aside.
- 1You start the water before you make the sauce.Fill a large pot 3/4 full of water and bring it to a boil.
- 2Add a drizzle of olive oil in the water and a pinch of salt.
- 3When the water is boiling, add the spaghetti noodles and make sure all pasta is submerged.
- 4Let it boil, stir constantly (to prevent the noodles from sticking to the bottom of the pot)
- 5You will know if noodles are cooked when you can easily cut a piece with just your fingers. El dente is when the pasta is cooked, but there's just a little bit of resistance when you bit into it.Once the noodles are cooked, strain and rinse with cold water, then set aside.Advertisement
- Place the desired amount of spaghetti onto plates and drizzle a liberal amount of the tuna red sauce over the noodles.
- Sprinkle the top with grated cheese and serve immediately.
Questions and Answers
Should I serve my tuna dish by itself or should I add a side dish with it?
It is preferable that side dishes are prepared to go with any tuna dish, but the side dish should complement the tuna dish.
Serving a side dish with the tuna dish is an option for the one preparing it. Depending on the people for whom the tuna dish is prepared, side dishes can be a great way to enhance the meal experience. Wheat and garlic breads, crouton soups, fruits and salads are just a few of the best partners for any tuna dish.
- Make sure that the side dish will complement the prepared tuna dish.
- As much as possible, the side dish should be something completely different from the main dish, like a salad.
- The side dish should enhance and maximize the taste of the tuna dish, and it must not overtake the main dish. Just as the word itself suggests, "side" dishes are intended to be eaten on the side of the main dish.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Cook Tuna Spaghetti with Red Sauce. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 28, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Cook_Tuna_Spaghetti_with_Red_Sauce
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Cook Tuna Spaghetti with Red Sauce." VisiHow, visihow.com/Cook_Tuna_Spaghetti_with_Red_Sauce Accessed 28 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Cook Tuna Spaghetti with Red Sauce." Accessed Apr 28, 2017. http://visihow.com/Cook_Tuna_Spaghetti_with_Red_Sauce.
Categories : Cooking
Recent edits by: Eng, Lynn, Jmgf