Cook Goat Stew
Edited by sheryl hernandez, Anonymous, Rebecca M., Robbi and 2 others
While goat may not be a typical addition to the American menu, in many other cultures it is a staple ingredient in many cuisines.
It can be used in kabobs, braised, stewed, or curried, and it is really quite delicious. The taste is a bit like combination of beef and lamb. It has a little less of a gamy taste than that of lamb, but the meat is a bit more oily than most beef.
Braising or stewing seem to be the most popular ways to prepare goat because the meat is sometimes tough and requires some extra time to reach the desired tenderness.
- 2 kilos (2 lbs)of goat meat, cut into stew sized pieces (1 inch cubes)
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) cooking oil
- 30 g (2 Tbsp) all purpose flour
- 5 g (1 tsp)teaspoon oregano
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) orange juice
- 500 ml (2 cups) goat stock (beef or chicken stock may be used.)
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) cup red wine
- A dash of cinnamon
- A large pinch of Cumin
- Salt to taste
- 2 PCs. Bay leaf
- A pinch of white sugar
- 3 Medium size carrots cut into cubes
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 225 g (8 oz.) of string beans, cut into small pieces
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) of fish sauce
- 1/2 liter ( 2 cups) of Water
- 1In a large skillet over medium high heat, place cooking oil and meat.Sear meat evenly on each side until browned.Advertisement
- 2Add onion, oregano, cumin, and salt.Saute until the onion begins to turn translucent.Advertisement
- 3Add flour and fish sauce and stir to coat the mixture.
- 4Add stock, orange juice, water, red wine, cinnamon, bay leaf, and sugar and bring to a boil.
- 5After mixture is boiling, transfer to a large stew pot and add carrots and string beans.Reduce heat until the stew is just simmering.
- 6Simmer until the meat becomes tender and the stew begins to thicken.Additional flour can be added to adjust thickness.Advertisement
Tips and Hints
- Try adding any of your favorite vegetables to this stew to suit your own tastes.
- Serve with fresh bread or rolls for a hearty, delicious meal.
- For a make ahead dinner, brown the meat and place all of the ingredients in a slow cooker set to medium for 6 to 8 hours.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Meats & Main Dishes
Recent edits by: Eng, Robbi, Rebecca M.