Cook Filipino Style Spaghetti
Edited by Rose B, Ephraim, Eng, Rafah Perlado and 3 others
Sometimes, our kids can be really picky when it comes to food. Usually, they want their food to be sweet and almost bland, without strong flavors and herbs. This recipe is the perfect dish to serve to your kids. It has a meaty, cheesy and sweet taste that your kids will love. This is great as a main dish, or for a mid-afternoon snack.
How to Cook Filipino Style Spaghetti
- 1 kg spaghetti noodles
- 1000 ml spaghetti sauce
- 500 ml banana ketchup
- 1 small garlic head, minced
- 3 small onion bulbs, minced
- 500 grams ground beef
- 2 Knorr beef cubes
- 10 pieces hot dogs or sausages
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking oil
- 1 cup of water
Note: Photos above are just sample brands of the ingredients. This does not mean that the same brands are needed to prepare this dish. You can always add or subtract things according to your liking. If you've raised your kids on spicier food, fell free to add a little zest to this spaghetti.
- 1Heat some cooking oil in a saucepan.Advertisement
- 2Put in the onion first. Cook for a minute before adding the garlic.Sauté the garlic and onion.Advertisement
- 3Let the ground beef cook for 5 minutes before adding the beef cubes. Stir until the beef cubes dissolve.After five or ten minutes, add the ground beef and beef cubes.
- 4After 3 minutes add 1 cup of water.
- 5Let it simmer for about 30 minutes.
- 6Be generous in adding salt because this gives the pasta its' flavor.While waiting for the beef to be cooked, boil 2 liters of water with salt and a bit of oil.
- 7When we say al dente, it is when the pasta is cooked to its perfection. Get a string of pasta, taste it. If it's firm but chewy it is done.Boil the noodles for 13 minutes or until al dente.
- 8Keep stirring the noodles to make sure they won't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- 9DO NOT rinse with cold water.Drain the noodles, then set aside.
- 10Once the beef is cooked, add the hot dogs and cook it for 5 minutes.
- 11Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- 12Add the spaghetti sauce and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- 13Add the banana ketchup and simmer for another 5 minutes..
- 14Once the sauce is cooked, you can add the noodles.
- 15Add some grated cheese and serve.Advertisement
Tips & Tricks
- You can add more spaghetti sauce or banana ketchup depending on what taste you prefer.
- Add oil to the water when you boil the pasta, so that the noodles will not stick together.
- If you want a creamy spaghetti sauce you can add 1 cup of cream or all-purpose cream.
- You can use any variety of cheese according to your liking.
- You can decrease the amount of meat if you are not fond of meat.
- You can also use veg-e-burger to completely replace the meat.
- You can also make use of sausage instead of the hot dogs.
- Balance the sweet and sour taste to make it a perfect Filipino Style Spaghetti. To balance the flavor you can add sugar to the sauce.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Cooking
Recent edits by: shammah, Rebecca M., Rafah Perlado