Cook Baked Candied Yams
Edited by Robbi, Eng, Lynn, Rebecca M. and 5 others
The taste of "real" yams ranges from earthy to smoky to nutty and they are barely sweet. About 200 varieties of yams exist and the starchy flesh is pale yellow or off-white. Yams are among the most popular and greatly consumed foods globally. In Africa and Asian countries, yams play a large part in the daily diet.
Most vegetables categorized as yams in the US are actually sweet potatoes. However, if you want to experience the joy of real yams, look at Asian or African food markets. Because of their irregular shape - round, oblong or tapered - adjust the way you prepare them for baking. Either cut in cubes or coarsely chop.
Our awesome recipe for baked candied "yams" features the brilliant orange, sweet potato you are accustomed to seeing on holiday tables. Sweet potatoes with their powerful antioxidants and high fiber are highly underutilized in the US!
- 1 Ingredients You Will Need
- 2 Steps to Prepare Baked Candied Yams
- 3 Toppings that Pop - What Can I Use as Toppings for Candied Yams?
- 4 Things that You Can Add to Candied Yams
- 5 Serving Tips
- 6 Questions and Answers
- 7 Comments
Ingredients You Will Need
- 18 medium yams or sweet potatoes - scrubbed, peeled, halved crosswise and sliced into 8 wedgesAdvertisement
- 21 tablespoon olive oilAdvertisement
- 33 tablespoons butter
- 41/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 52 tablespoons maple syrup
- 6½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 71/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 8¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 9½ teaspoon vanilla
- 10Salt and pepper as desired
Steps to Prepare Baked Candied Yams
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F/ 200 degrees C.Advertisement
- 2Add pepper and salt to taste.In a medium sized bowl, toss potatoes in olive oil.
- 3In a small saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter.
- 4Add brown sugar, maple syrup, cloves, nutmeg and vanilla.
- 5Stir continuously, about 4 minutes, until mixture comes to a simmer and sugar is dissolved.
- 6Pour over potatoes and toss until coated.Remove from heat.
- 7Into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, and evenly spread the potato mixture.
- 8Cover with foil and bake about 30 minutes.
- 9Remove foil and bake uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Toppings that Pop - What Can I Use as Toppings for Candied Yams?
Your delectable baked candied yam dish can stand alone. But if you're entertaining important people, consider adding one of these impressive toppings.
- 1Bake about 10 minutes, until coconut is brown.Combine ½ cup chopped pecans, ½ cup brown sugar, ½ cup coconut and 3 teaspoons butter, Sprinkle over cooked potatoes.Advertisement
- 2Pulse about 16 snickerdoodles, butter or gingersnap cookies in food processor to crumb stage. In a medium bowl, add ½ cup packed light brown sugar, 4 tablespoons melted butter and ¼ cup all-purpose flour. Put in refrigerator to chill. When yams are done, crumble mixture on top and bake about 10 minutes until topping is browned.Use on real yams to ramp-up the sweet factor.
- 3Mix together. Add 1 stick of room temperature butter and mix with fork to crumbly stage. After removing foil from sweet potatoes, sprinkle 2 cups miniature marshmallows on top. Evenly layer oatmeal crumbles on top of marshmallows. Return to oven and cook about 30 minutes.Combine ½ cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup dark brown sugar, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1 cup quick cooking oats in medium bowl.
Things that You Can Add to Candied Yams
If you're interested in adding in some lovely different ingredients into your candied yams, here are a few that you may not have tried.
- 1They are naturally very tart and that offsets the sweetness quite nicelyCranberries work very well in the baked sweet potatoes.
- 2Just peel and add about three apples, sliced up as if you were going to use them in apple pie. Toss in an extra dash of cinnamon if you're interested in that bit of extra spice.Apples make a wonderful addition to baked yams.Advertisement
Candied yams are visually appealing when served on a white square plate. Add a spoon of cranberry sauce on the side, not on them, and they will look very appealing.
Questions and Answers
Do you cover the baking dish when cooking candied yams?
Yes, it's always better to cover the candied yams not only because they become more delicious, as the juices are kept within the dish, but also because this will prevent them from fast scorching. Leave the covered dish in the preheated oven and remove the tin foil for the last 3-5 minutes. Then it should be ready and you can serve it.
Yes it is possible for a person to cover the dish depending on how they want their Yams to be in terms of being kind of hard or being completely soft. If you cover the dish then understand your Yams will be softer than without covering the dish.
Can you suggest some toppings for the baked yams?
Pecans and pretzels.
Here is the list of toppings that you can prepare for baked yams:
- You should chop the pecans and crumble the pretzels first. Then, sprinkle them over the top of your baked yam.
- You can make a topping recipe using pecans and bacon for your baked yam. In doing so, you have to stir in flour and brown sugar in a bowl and then whisk the mixture. Cut in some butter using a pastry blender until crumbly. Then, add chopped pecans and bacon into the mixture and top it evenly before baking your yam recipe. This topping is good for 12 servings of baked yams.
- In making a topping recipe using honey and cinnamon (2 teaspoons of honey and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon), you only have to combine them with 4 teaspoons of brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of butter into a bowl. Mix them until smooth. After making your baked yams, you can then top them with honey and cinnamon and bake them once more. This topping is good for one serving of baked yam.
- . Below are some ingredients and procedure on how to make gingersnap and pecan praline toppings:
- [This topping recipe is good for 12 servings of baked yams.]
- 1 cup of chopped and toasted pecans
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tsp. of honey
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of crumbled gingersnaps (crumbled in a food processor)
- A pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp. of melted and unsalted butter
- Place all the above ingredients into a food processor and then pulse 4 times in four seconds bursts.
- Pour the topping over your baked yams and put into an oven at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes until it darkens. When it cools, the toppings should become crispier. You are now done.
- . When you place your baked yam into your oven, you can put some marshmallows on the top. Make sure that they do not become too soft and do not completely melt while you are heating it.
- . The ingredients that you need to have are the following: 1/3 cup of brown sugar, 1 cup of coarsely crushed corn flakes cereals, 1/2 cup of chopped pecans, 2 tbsp. of all-purpose flour, and 1/4 cup of melted margarine or butter. Add the toppings over your recipe and heat it in an oven until the top becomes light golden brown. This topping recipe is good for five servings of baked yams.
- . Looking for the simplest and easiest toppings for your baked yam? Raisins are the best option. You can top your baked yam with some raisins and then serve.
Marshmallows are a great topping for candy yams as well as confectioned sugar. These are toppings that my family has put on Yams which taste delicious.
Do you know how to tin candied yams?
I would like to give away my special holiday candied yams as gifts.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Desserts
Recent edits by: Donna, Doug Collins, Ermin