Connect your android device to your TV using an HDMI cable
Edited by Ian Gabriel T. Tolledo, Lynn, Eng, Send2marto and 21 others
Almost everyone has a smartphone nowadays, and one of the most common uses for these little pocket computers is as an entertainment device. Still, watching movies or playing games on a phone or tablet screen, while good on the go, just isn't the same as doing so on a TV or computer monitor. If your eyes are strained from staring at your mobile phone's tiny screen, you can get a great big screen phone experience by connecting your phone to a screen via HDMI.
Ready to start watching your phone's videos on a TV? This article will teach you how to connect your Android device to your TV using an HDMI cable.
**Please Read** When Android released Lollipop, the option to view video via MHL/USB was removed. Any device that shipped with or upgraded to Lollipop or higher will only be able to share the device's screen using the Screen Mirroring feature. Screen Mirroring is a great way to view your device's screen on a larger unit such as a TV.
Check out the following articles on Screen Mirroring:
- Turn on Screen Mirroring on Samsung Galaxy S3 and Share Your Phone's Screen to the TV
- Turn on Screen Mirroring on Samsung Galaxy S5 and Share Your Phone's Screen to the TV or Laptop
- 1 Basic information About HDMI
- 2 Connection instructions (Jelly Bean/KitKat)
- 3 Tips Tricks & Warnings
- 4 Questions and Answers
- 4.1 What do I do if there is no response when I connect my phone to TV via HDMI cable?
- 4.2 Does the resolution of my Tablet (1024x600) affect the resolution on my HD TV?
- 4.3 Connecting cable box to tablet?
- 4.4 How can I connect my Kocaso Tablet to my Toshiba TV?
- 4.5 Trouble with existing HDMI cable to my Samsung Note2?
- 4.6 Hello, I just received an Android box today for my TV and the instructions are not very clear on how to set it up correctly.
- 4.7 Just checking on the phone to the large screen display. I have an Android Phone running 4.4.2. Can I just purchase an MHL to HDMI Media Adapter and I'm good to go? Does it need any additional App or software to make it work?
- 4.8 About to connect a Tab to a sound system?
- 4.9 My question is how to play audio in different sound card in Android application?
- 4.10 How do I hook my iPod 5 up to my Vizio TV so I can watch videos on my TV?
- 4.11 Connect Note3 to non MHL certified Sony Bravia?
- 4.12 How do I change the resolution on the output (is that the cell)?
- 4.13 Looking for the proper cable for my fusion 5 Android tablet (Lollipop)?
- 4.14 My TV is Sony model no.klv -BX350 how can I connect this from Android phone?
- 5 Comments
Basic information About HDMI
- 1It is a compact audio and video interface system of transmitting data digitally. Through the use of an HDMI cable, it is possible to send an image, sound, video, or other files from a source -- Blu-ray, audio box, DVD, or in this case, your Android device -- to a second display, like a monitor, TV, or projector. HDMI is presently the kind of cable with the highest capacity for delivering high definition data/information.HDMI is short for High Definition Multimedia Interface.Advertisement
- 2The high capacity wire allows for sending command codes along with pictures and sounds.Basically, HDMI simplifies your wiring, merging the red, blue, green, yellow, and white cables into a single cable.Advertisement
- 3You'll need to make sure that your phone can be connected to your TV monitor via HDMI cable. First, you have to see if your phone has an HDMI slot or connector. If it does, you'll need to purchase an HDMI cable. You'll need to make sure your TV or monitor has an HDMI feature as well (most TVs manufactured in the last few years will). Once you have all these items, you can immediately enjoy viewing your applications, watching your movies, and playing your games on your larger screen, all fed directly from your mobile phone.Note:
Connection instructions (Jelly Bean/KitKat)
- 1Simply push the cable into an HDMI socket. Also, make a note of which port number you plugged the cable into so that you can switch to that channel/input for viewing your phone's content.Below is a typical back view of an LCD/LED TV with two HDMI sockets.Advertisement
- 2After connecting the cable to your TV set, you can now connect the other end to your Android mobile. The jack appears similar to a micro-USB connector and can sometimes be found next to it. The mobile pictured below even sports an HDMI cable compartment.Plug the HDMI cable into your Android's HDMI jack.
- 3Once the connection is made between the TV set and your Android device, you can now choose which files you want to project on the TV screen, as well as tweak the resolution size and many other options found in the output settings (see below).Select which option you want to use for viewing HDMI.
Your Gallery application allows you to choose from photos and videos located in your phone's Library. If you open your music application, you can listen to whichever artist, album, or playlist you like. You'll be able to see both the Gallery and Music applications on the TV screen once they're opened.
You also have the option of using the "Mirror on display" function, which duplicates your Android phone's screen and displays it on your TV.
- 4You don't need to "safely remove" your Android device from the TV set. To disconnect, simply unplug the cable.Disconnect the HDMI cable when you're finished.Advertisement
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Please note that HDMI pins are somewhat delicate, so be careful when inserting the end of the.
- Your device may load after connecting to your TV set, so wait for it to load instead of immediately ejecting the cable.
- Change the HDMI settings of your Android phone if you're having difficulties. Check the HDMI format accessible through your phone's settings. See if there are more preferable refresh rates or resolutions that could result in easier access.
- There are Android applications, like YouTube and Blockbuster, that won't allow users to use HDMI output. Usually, videos and photos from the gallery application are the only media that you can view.
Questions and Answers
What do I do if there is no response when I connect my phone to TV via HDMI cable?
Here are some troubleshooting steps that you can perform when you receive no response from your TV or your phone after plugging in your HDMI cable on both devices.
- * Make sure the HDMI cable is properly connected. Make sure both ends are firmly inserted, and not loose. You can also unplug and re-plug the cable to ensure that they are tightly connected.
- * Restart your devices to refresh them. If the first try fails, you can always give it another shot. Leaving your devices to sit for a couple of seconds could also help.
- * Determine which of the devices is causing the problem. If another HDMI cable, TV, or Android device is available, try them to see if one of your devices is causing your issue. Should you find a device that is not working, it is best to contact the manufacturer.
A common mistake: Your TV may be set to the wrong HD channel/input, so be sure that your TV is set to the one your phone is plugged into. There is usually a label/marking next to where the cable gets plugged in, which should help you identify which input you are using.
See more questions like this: Can't stream from Galaxy 5 to TV using HDMI cord, tried sharing and does not recognize device
Does the resolution of my Tablet (1024x600) affect the resolution on my HD TV?
If my HD TV is connected by HDMI cable to a Tablet, does the resolution of the Tablet make a difference to the quality (resolution) on the TV? If I am going to purchase a tablet specifically for this purpose should I spend more and buy a tablet with a higher resolution?
Your resolution on the Tablet is just fine. Your TV should stream anything from the tablet at a better resolution of 1080P or whatever it is set to. Now, if you are streaming content that is SD, then it will be SD on the TV unless you convert it to HD or find an HD link like in YouTube only choose HD videos.
See more questions like this: When I connect my Android tablet to my TV Netflix, it works fine, however other items don't
Connecting cable box to tablet?
Through some odd circumstances, I need to send the HD cable box signal not to the TV, but to a tablet. Both have HDMI slots, but I've never heard of this. Is it possible?
One slot needs to be an HDMI out say on the tablet and then the cable box needs to be an HDMI in. This may be why you are being told to do this if the TV HDMI only has an out port.
How can I connect my Kocaso Tablet to my Toshiba TV?
I have tried HDMI cables and an MHL connection. Nothing worked. Any tips.
Is your TV even reading the tablet? Check your tablet HDMI settings because your specific tablet should be able to connect to the TV. Follow the troubleshooting tips in the main VisiHow article.
Trouble with existing HDMI cable to my Samsung Note2?
Lots of stops, fails, sounds not coming through. Many times it will work fine, other times does not. Mostly using Showbox via the cable, so once in a while a Showbox problem, but if I unplug the cable, usually works fine watching on the phone. Should I use 11pin for best quality? Does the brand of TV matter? Any compatibility problems with certain TVs and certain phones? What is "best case scenario" with this setup? Which is the best cable to use, within reasonable cost range?
You have a pin prong issue that is causing a loose connection. Get a new HDMI cable and see if that gives you a more stable environment. You do not have to spend huge amounts of money but just get a standard HDMI cable. These do not last forever, and occasionally a pin faults or shorts and this would cause the hit or miss viewing that you are experiencing.
Hello, I just received an Android box today for my TV and the instructions are not very clear on how to set it up correctly.
I am having trouble setting my Android box up because the instructions are in Chinese and the English part has no visual as to how to connect the box to the TV
Connect your Android box to the TV using an HDMI cable. You then will input your TV to the HDMI setting and turn on the Android box. You will now go into the box settings icon and set up your WiFi or Ethernet connection. If you plan on streaming a lot, then you will want to consider using an Ethernet cable from your router. You can then install Kodi or whatever viewing platforms that you want. One of the fasted methods for setting up Kodi is to install with Fusion and then TV Addons.
See more questions like this: I have a defective HDMI port on my Android box. Can this be repaired?
Just checking on the phone to the large screen display. I have an Android Phone running 4.4.2. Can I just purchase an MHL to HDMI Media Adapter and I'm good to go? Does it need any additional App or software to make it work?
Can any Android phone send output images to a large screen that has HDMI? I hear that only Samsung can?
You should just need the MHL cable and follow the instructions in this VisiHow article.
See more questions like this: How to connect ASUS mobile with LG Led TV to see videos and hearing songs?
See more questions like this: Does Lenovo K4 Note supports MHL?
About to connect a Tab to a sound system?
I want to play music from my Samsung Galaxy Tablet through my sound system, my sound system is pioneer with HDMI port, so I want to play the music in it using the pioneer radio what cable can I use or how to do it
You should just be able to connect the HDMI port to the Tab. Your Pioneer may also have Bluetooth functions so investigate that because that would be the easiest way. Also, the sound system HDMI might be an output which means that it would not accept incoming.
My question is how to play audio in different sound card in Android application?
Hello........I like to play audio through analog and HDMI as well without interfering each other; the problem is it is playing audio by default sound card, I set HDMI as my default sound card, but whenever I record any sound it automatically switches to analog, how to prevent that?
Go into the app Settings and see if you can switch recording differently. It will always divert to HDMI for sound, but regarding what you are using to record, the quality may be best on analog.
How do I hook my iPod 5 up to my Vizio TV so I can watch videos on my TV?
I have an HDMI port, RGBPC, component, and USB on my TV and I only have a charger port on my ipod don't know how to make it work. I have tried: Na. I think it was caused by: Na
You will need an Apple Digital Adapter first before you can connect the iPod to your Vizio TV.
Connect Note3 to non MHL certified Sony Bravia?
I have a Sony Bravia which unfortunately doesn't support MHL even though it has an HDMI port. I want to mirror my Note3 screen on the TV, can I buy an Android TV and mirror my phone's screen to the TV
You will want a "Smart" TV for an easier screen mirroring experience. Once you get a new TV that can screen mirror, you will link up your Note3 and be able to stream using Mirrorcast or AllShare.
See more questions like this: To connect my phone with my LED Sony Bravia to see pictures from my phone?
How do I change the resolution on the output (is that the cell)?
I bought an HDMI cable and adapter to fit my Galaxy S5, and it had been working but suddenly the sound was distorted, and I disconnected it and then it didn't work. One of the TVs says that my TV does not support this, and I need to change the resolution
When this happens, reboot the phone and begin the connection process again. Usually, that fixes the sound distortion. You can see in this Youtube Tutorial how to use an app that will change your screen resolution for mirroring.
Looking for the proper cable for my fusion 5 Android tablet (Lollipop)?
Is it a HDMI mini or HDMI micro on the tablet end? Also, will I be able to view downloaded movies from Vudu on my TV using the tablet HDMI connection?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
My TV is Sony model no.klv -BX350 how can I connect this from Android phone?
How can I connect my Sony model no. KLV.-22BX350 through the Android phone LYF Flame 8.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Categories : Android
Recent edits by: papamummy, Maria, FierceDragon