Clear your browser's cache and history
Edited by Yuliya, Eng
Hi, everyone, this is Sean from VisiHow and today I'm going to be showing you how to clear your browser's cache and history. This is going to be for Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Internet Explorer. It's going to be using their in-browser tools but also programs that are outside of that which you can use to do a more thorough cleaning, or cleaning everything at once.
- 1You can use that to clear it out. I have a written article on VisiHow as well about the same subject, and it also has Safari in there since I can write about that and show images of that - but I can't show a video of that because I'm using Windows PC. You can check it out here: http://visihow.com/Clear_Your_Browser_Cache_and_Cookies.The reason you might want to clear your browser's cache, cookies, or history - especially the cache - is because it gets filled up with unwanted files that are just temporary files that take up a lot of space.Advertisement
- 2On the top right there is going to be a menu button. It looks like a couple of little lines. You click on that, and click on "History." A new menu will pop up then and on there you click "Clear recent History," and as soon as you do that it's going to give you a bunch of different options for what you want to do.The first browser we'll go to is Mozilla Firefox.Advertisement
- 7Most of these are pretty safe, and the default selection's pretty good. You can do everything for the past hour, the past day, the past week, beginning of time (the entire time you've had Google Chrome). Any of those will work.Click "Clear browsing data," and the same kind of thing where a new menu's going to open up and you get a bunch of different options for what you want to clear.
- 12First I'm going to show CCleaner. I'm going to go to the website, which is Piriform.com and then CCleaner. It's much easier to just go to Google or Bing and search for it. It is a free tool that you can use to delete all kinds of temporary files and also registry stuff. But the registry stuff is very complicated and we're not even going to touch that. I've never touched it.If you don't like any of those options, or you want to do it more efficiently or more thoroughly, then you can use CCleaner, or the Windows Disc Cleanup tool, which I'm going to show right now.
- 14When you press Run Cleaner it's going to delete everything permanently. This is a super useful tool since you can clean out everything at once. You just can't have any of those things open, and it actually cleans them so well that it kind of feels like you haven't used the browser before when you go back. Like it's a fresh install. Which could be exactly what you're looking for, or not - who knows. You always have lots of options.You can tell it to analyze and it'll tell you exactly how much data it can clean.
- 17It shows temporary internet files, recycle bin, debug files which you might not want to delete because that's related to things crashing, setup logs, errors, temporary files - temporary files is going to be the main bulk of memory that is being taken up. It's usually what you want to delete, that and temporary internet files. This kind of overlaps with CCleaner, except this also gets some stuff that CCleaner doesn't touch.As you can see from this, I have about a gig and a half of space I can clear here.
- 18So please check all this stuff out, and if you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask on the article. Thanks for watching this VisiHow video!Between all of this, between the Disc Cleanup and CCleaner, and each of these browsers' in-browser tool for cleaning up their histories and cache and cookies and everything, you have lots of options for getting rid of all of that extra memory that it's taking up, and your history, and whatever you want to get rid of.Advertisement
Video: Clear your browser's cache and history
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Clear your browser's cache and history. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 29, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Clear_your_browser%27s_cache_and_history
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Clear your browser's cache and history." VisiHow, visihow.com/Clear_your_browser%27s_cache_and_history Accessed 29 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Clear your browser's cache and history." Accessed May 29, 2017. http://visihow.com/Clear_your_browser%27s_cache_and_history.
Categories : Software
Recent edits by: Yuliya