Clean Your Computer Mouse
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Eng, Pia Marie Villamante and 2 others
I'll bet you never thought you would have to clean a computer mouse, right? I know I didn't! So why is it necessary to clean it, and how? As you move your mouse on the bottom, you will notice a circle, and in the middle you will see a little ball, which will allow the mouse to glide easily on the pad. This ball, turns three rollers inside. two small, and a bigger one. Over time, this ball can pick up dust and debris. If you don't take the time to clean it out once in a while, what happens is the dirt gets on those rollers and builds up, and the mouse pointer will not move at all on the screen, or will be sporadic. So let's see how we can clean the mouse so it works correctly:
Kinds of Computer Mouse
Instructions to Clean a Trackball Mouse
- 1Take the cover off the back, it will either slide off, or you will turn it counterclockwise.Turn off your computer and unplug your mouse.Advertisement
- 2Take the ball out, clean off with a soft cloth, and set aside.
- 3You can use a Q-tip to clean each one.Now you will clean the rollers.
- 4Plug your mouse back in.Replace the ball and cover when finished.
Instructions To Clean an Optical Mouse
- 1Shut down your computer and disconnect your mouse.Advertisement
- 2If you notice any dirt, dust or debris, blow it off. If you can't remove it, use alcohol and cotton swabs, and gently clean the lens.Check the lens underneath your mouse.
- 3Dirt usually forms here, which could make your mouse don't move as easily. Use your fingernail to remove as much dirt as you can.Inspect the elastic pads underneath your mouse.
- 4Get a wet cloth and wipe the dirt left behind on your mouse.
- 5Connect your mouse back to your computer and you're ready to use your newly cleaned mouse.Advertisement
- Make sure your mouse pad is clean before you set your mouse down, so no dirt and dust goes back into your mouse.
- Instead of a mouse pad that collects dirt and dust, use a square piece of cardboard or a card.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Clean Your Computer Mouse. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 28, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Clean_Your_Computer_Mouse
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Clean Your Computer Mouse." VisiHow, visihow.com/Clean_Your_Computer_Mouse Accessed 28 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Clean Your Computer Mouse." Accessed Mar 28, 2017. http://visihow.com/Clean_Your_Computer_Mouse.
Categories : Hardware
Recent edits by: Lynn, Pia Marie Villamante, Eng