Clean Grout In Between Tiles
Edited by Nate Pepperell, Lynn, Eulalee, Eng and 8 others
Putting up Tiles is a popular choice for covering walls and floors in homes. Tiled surfaces look beautiful from a distance but, sometimes when you look a little closer, in between them might be extremely dirty. This dirt will eventually lead to mold which can be harmful to your health. The following instructions will help you learn how to clean the grout lines in between your tiles and keep them sanitized and looking great. You have to do this regularly to prevent any mold or mildew build-up to keep you and your family safe."
Things you will need
- 1A Soft Brush.This is used to sweep away any dust or debris from the surface you are about to start working on.Advertisement
- 2A Coarse Scrubbing Brush.Use any type of coarse scrubbing brush which you feel will do the job efficiently. Make sure that the brush you choose will be able to get in between the grout lines and clean the grout properly. An old toothbrush or another brush of similar size would be perfect for a job like this.Advertisement
- 3Warm Water.It is always a good idea to use two separate containers to hold your water -- one to hold the cleaning mixture and, the other, for fresh water to rinse down the surface after you have finished cleaning it.
- 4Oxygenated Bleach Or Hydrogen Peroxide.There are many different cleaning agents and brands of oxygenated bleach available that can be mixed with the warm water. Hydrogen peroxide and lemon are great natural alternatives to harsh chemicals.
- 5A Lemon.Lemon juice helps dissolve stains and it also gives your cleaning agent a nice smell.
- 6Clean Towel.This is used to mop up any mess and to help dry up any dirty water that may appear after you start scrubbing.
Instruction for how to clean grout
- 1Prepare The Surface Of Grout And Tiles.Before you start cleaning the grouts with the cleaning agent, you need to make sure that you have brushed or swept away any debris and dust from the surface. Dust or debris that left on the surface when you apply your cleaning mixture will only make your grout lines more messy.Advertisement
- 2Make Your Cleaning Mixture.If you are using a store-bought cleaning agent, then follow the directions on the packaging to dilute it. If you are using the mixture of hydrogen peroxide and lemon, use the following instructions: Mix 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide with 2 cups of warm water and lemon juice. Use as much lemon juice as you require.
- 3Scrub Grout Lines In Between Tiles.Take your coarse scrubbing brush and dip it into your cleaning mixture. Scrub the grout lines until you have removed all of the dirt and stains. Grout stains can be very stubborn so, you may need to apply some pressure when scrubbing.
- 4Wash Down With Water And Clean Towel.Use the container of fresh water and your clean towel to remove any of the dirty water and grime. Gently splash on enough water but not too much that you can't easily mop up all the mess. Try not to spread the water everywhere when performing this task as this will cause the dirty water to seep back into the grout, and make the task more difficult.
Can A Wire Brush Be Used to Clean Grout in Tiles?
Try to avoid steel wire scrubbing brushes. In addition to leaving dark scrape marks on some surfaces and scratching the surrounding tiles, these types of brushes will scrape away the grout and damage the water seal of your grout. Use a sturdy plastic brush instead. Your old tooth brush won't be too effective, try using a more heavy duty brush with stiff bristles from your local dollar store.
How to Clean Grout in between Tiles
Who would never want to own his/her own home, especially if it's a kind of home that anyone would like to live in? According to statistics, despite of the fact that there are a lot of people who are living in apartments and condominiums, many of these people are dreaming to own a residential home, with a nice garden, front yard, and interior design. However, these people are aware that being a home owner entails obligations in order to maintain the beauty and integrity of the home.
There are a lot of individuals who would like to use tiles in terms of their home flooring, particularly on the kitchen and bathroom. However, what makes them hesitant to do so is the fact that it is so tedious to clean grouts. No matter how beautiful the tiles are in the bathroom, if there are grouts in between them, the entire aesthetics will just be ruined.
In order to eradicate these eerie grouts, home owners need to utilize the proper cleaning solution and a bit of cleaning effort. With the combination of these 2 great solutions, any home owner will have a smile on the face and accomplish a job well-done.
There is no doubt that grouts are very dirty. For instance, those that are in the bathroom are typically because of mildew or molds, and they cause grout stains, whereas in the kitchen, the grouts can be due to food stains, grime, household traffic, as well as mildew. It doesn't matter what the cause of the grout is. What matters is that these eerie grouts could be removed, and home owners could start the process by using a simple, less acidic grout cleaning regimen.
In case the less acidic regimen didn't pave off, then that's the time home owner could transition to stronger chemical cleaners. When it comes to stains, home owners could utilize some household items such as baking soda and vinegar. These 2 usual household items are known for being efficient cleaners, especially of stains.
When it comes to utilization of vinegar, home owner should ensure that the amount of water and amount of vinegar are equal. When it comes to baking soda, home owners could craft a paste out of it. After which, dab or squirt the end result on the grout (specifically the small ones), and then brush it by using a stiff brush.
It is much better to scrub in circular motion instead of just brushing straightly or in up and down motion. Brushing in circular motion could ensure that the debris of the grout will also be removed. Rinse the floor well using mop and water, and for the moisture, home owner could use paper towels of sponge.
Home owners may also seek refuge from the so-called generic household cleaners, such as Lysol and Mr. Clean. There are also those that are in powder form. Home owners should ensure that these cleaners will be used in accordance to the directions provided by the manufacturers. As a hint, the amount of water and the amount for the generic household cleaners are quite similar with the ones given for the baking soda and vinegar.
Other Cleaning Weapons for Grouts
- 1Steam Cleaner
- 2Commercial Grout and Tile Cleaner
- 3Hydrogen Peroxide
- 4Chlorine Bleach
- 5Oxygen bleach PowderAdvertisement
Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- Make sure you use a clean scrubbing brush.
- Work on one small area at a time. If the surface of the area you are trying to clean is too big, you will not have enough time to mop up the dirty, wet cleaning agent before it dries and it will only soak back into the grout lines.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Home Repair
Recent edits by: mahalia jovita b. bugasto, Doug Collins, Richelle