Choose the Right Wine for Celebrations
Edited by Maria Sharon Ubando, Anonymous, Eng, Julia Moliere and 1 other
In every celebration there goes the wine. But not all wines go with the right celebration and food. Now, whether you are buying a wine for a gift, collection or when you are to host a party, it is important to know the basics of wine. It takes a little more time before you get the mastery but it will help to know a little of everything.
When you host a party, it is also a must that you plan ahead of time what the menu would be to help you get the right wine. There are wines that go perfectly with certain food so avoid a mismatch especially if yo are expecting wine-lovers in the party. Basically, red wine goes with red meat and white wine for white meat. Stick with basics.
Read more and get some tips on what wine you need to have on the party table.
The Right Wine for the Occasion
This type of one is best taken before the main course is served since they are drier and lighter than the red wine. Since it has a lighter taste, it would not in any way interfere with the taste of the dishes. White wines can also be served at the earlier time of parties. When the menu includes dish with creamy sauce, Chardonnay goes well with it. Shrimps and salads go well with Sauvignon Blanc. While they are the favorites for wedding or anniversary toasts, a good choice of Champagne makes it even more perfect. It pays to know if you know how wines are characterized. Again, knowing the basics leads you to a full understanding of what wines are and should be.
Here are some of white wine characteristics
- creamy- it has a smooth taste and texture; not acidic
- round-it has smooth texture
- crisp-it has a slight acidic taste and fresh
- oaky-it has a distinct vanilla taste and carries an aged taste from the barrel
- dry- no sweetness
Known White Wine Varieties
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Chenin Blanc
Basics on Red Wines
This type of wine is served with the main course which more often than not is served at the later part of the gathering. One good suggestion for red wine that will definitely please your guest's taste buds is Merlot. Basically, it goes well with lamb and pork. Should there be spicy food served during the meal, you can complement it with Shiraz.
Things to Look for in a Red Wine
- Acidity- there should be a balanced acidity when choosing red wine. Too much or too little would interfere with the taste of the food served in the party.
- Tannin Content- this determines the bitterness of a red wine. Again the taste should not interfere with the taste buds.
- Body-refers to the alcohol content. Red wines are stronger than the white ones and they being stronger, goes with heavier meals.
Red Wine Varieties that Go Perfectly with Certain Food
- sea foods (shrimp, tuna, mackerel ) - Cabernet Franc, Burgundian Pinot
- Barbecues and steaks(beef, turkey)- Merlot, California Cabernet, Zinfandel and full-body Sangiovese
- Spicy meats -Australian Cabernet, Syrah or Shiraz wines
- pizza, burgers, pasta- light Chianti, Bardolino, Pinot Noir, Beaujolais
When you are new to wines, never hesitate to ask a expert. Besides queries is a the best form of learning.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Etiquette
Recent edits by: Julia Moliere, Eng, Anonymous