Choose the Right Flooring for Your Home
Edited by Melvin Magadia, Lynn, Maria
The floor covering you choose can add some aesthetic value to your home. Are you planning to replace your old floor with a new one? There is a plethora of choices on the market today, but which one is the right flooring for your home?
To help you decide on the suitable floor for your home, here is a look on some of the most widely used floor types.
- 2If you want the classic look, wood flooring is the way to go.It can be used in any area of your house. When using it in the kitchen, ensure that the type of wood you get will not absorb liquid, as there are often spills in the kitchen. One precaution when using wooden flooring is to cover it with asphalt and top it with a coating of polyurethane sealant.Advertisement
- 4Laminate Flooring
- 5Another excellent choice for your home is laminate flooring.This type is best when your home is located below ground level or when there is no sub-floor. There are some similarities between laminate and wood flooring. The difference is that the former is made from high density fiberboard that can be attached to a moisture barrier. Laminate flooring has a top layer that is 8 mm thick.
- 6Compared to wood, laminate is cheaper.The difference is about half the price of the wooden type. Aside from that, installation time is shorter.
- 9Cork has the same finish as laminate, but has more "bounce" to it.One of its biggest benefits is that it is more flexible, especially in the kitchen where dishes are not as likely to break when dropped, compared to tiles or hardwood. Aside from that, it is more eco-friendly and holds warmth and sound. Furthermore, it is nonabsorbent, moisture-resistant, and does not easily burn.
- 10However, a cork floor requires regular sweeping or vacuuming.Aside from that, you will need to reseal it regularly with polyurethane or wax.
- 13Without a doubt, tiles remain the most preferred flooring for obvious reasons.They can be easily cleaned with the exception of the grout. To remedy this, go for a darker shade to keep the tiles from staining.
- 14Tiles or marble are best for bathrooms given the high humidity and the likelihood of water spilling from the sink, tub, or toilet overflow.If you want tiles in your kitchen, leave enough clearance for appliances such as the refrigerator. Tile can raise the floor, so chances are the refrigerator may not fit because a cabinet or dishwasher impedes it. So make the necessary measurements first before installing. It also has the tendency to become slippery when wet.
- 17For some people, installing a carpet is the right choice.It can make your floor look great and luxurious. Likewise, it is easy to clean especially when installed in an area of low traffic. If you have a family member with mobility problems, go for a dense low-pile carpet to keep them from tripping.
- 18For couples who cannot decide, installing carpets in the bedroom and wood floor in other areas may be a good compromise.It can be added on top of a wooden floor to give it a softer feeling.
- 19If you have kids, pets, or frequent parties, the carpet may require regular cleaning compared to a smaller and less trafficked house.
- 21Hopefully, these tips can help you decide on the right flooring for your house.Advertisement
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Home
Recent edits by: Lynn, Melvin Magadia