Choose the Best Cat Food
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Eng, Ephraim and 6 others
You're walking down the pet section in the grocery store trying to find some pet food for your cat. There are so many to choose from! What kind should you buy? Choosing the right cat food is more important than you know. Just like we need to pick out the right foods for our health, pets need the proper nutrition too. So what kind should you buy? You will want to choose a cat food specifically made to meet your cat's needs. There are different types of cat food formulated for kittens only, or for Adult cats, or Senior cats. So obviously, you would not want to buy kitten food for an Adult or Senior Cat.
When choosing cat food you want to look for "natural ingredients". A good quality cat food is the best. You will notice on the can if you see "egg" and "meat" in the ingredients, it's a good quality cat food. Some important tips we can follow are:
Research different cat food brands
When choosing the best cat food it is a good idea for you to research exactly which cat foods have the best reviews for your cat. When researching the different brands of cat foods there are certain things for you to look for to determine which food to serve your pet.
- 1For example if the food is labeled "Beef" for its flavor read the label to see if the food contains at least %90 of that specific ingredient in your cat food to ensure that your cat is receiving more of that food ingredient rather than receiving extra fillers in the food. Basically the higher the percentage of the advertised ingredient the safer the food will be for your cat to eat.Research to see if the food that you are giving to your car contains more than %90 percent of the ingredient that is being advertised.Advertisement
- 2See if the food is labeled "dinner meal" meaning that it doesn't contain only one ingredient in the meal but, in fact, an assortment of ingredients in the food. Check the label for at least one ingredient that is included is %25 of the total meal on the label. The higher the percentage of one ingredient the more it leaves room for the rest of the product to carry all the other ingredients. This also limits space for extra ingredients that can prove to be harmful to your cat.Research if the combined ingredients are at least %25 of one of the ingredients.Advertisement
- 3Protein is important because it keeps your cat healthy and improves life expectancy. A list of types of protein to look for in your cat food will be beef, fish, poultry or chicken in the meal. These types of protein will be key to your cat's health and performance. When purchasing cat food all of the foods will need to contain a good portion of protein in order to completely keep your cat healthy, stay away from cat foods that do not provide a good source of protein in the meal for your cat.Check the food to ensure that it contains some type of protein for your cat.
- 4Cats require certain nutrients that are not found in plants but are in fact found in meat. If you are a vegetarian you should not require your cat to follow the same diet plan that you are currently on because it will do more harm than good to your animal. They need specific nutrients in order to stay healthy. If you prefer to give them vegetarian foods then even it out by giving them vegetables and meats in order to keep them balanced perfectly.Stay away from foods that are considered to be "vegetarian" for your cat.
- 5The grains provide your cat with carbohydrates that are used to energize her in daily activities. Without carbohydrates, your cat will not have enough energy and may seem to be constantly tired or lazy throughout the day. Many other kinds of research say that low carbohydrates are better for the cat, but this is an ongoing debate between researchers. Both sides have good points, so in order to meet them in the middle, give your cat both protein and grains to keep her balanced perfectly. One example of a cat that is kept off of carbohydrates (grains), is the "fat cat" who looks full and healthy, but is lazy, sleeping all the time or is generally inactive. This is caused because, although the cat is getting enough protein, she is not getting enough grains daily to give her energy.Search your food brand for grains to be included in your cat's food.
- 6Cats may enjoy this food more than dried cat food, and benefit from the liquid. This may offer a dose of water to the cat who does not like to drink water alone. Some cats do not take to drinking water daily but by giving them canned foods they will get that dose of water without even noticing or allowing it to bother them while eating.Give your cat canned foods because this food contains moisture.
- 7Some food is made with the age of the cat in mind. If your cat is middle aged then understand that giving them food that was made for cats that are basically new born/young will not give her the needed dose of vitamins and nutrients from the meal. Many people do not read the labels on cat foods. It is important to read them because these labels give a recommendation that alerts the buyer to be aware of the age group the food was made for. Following the recommendation on these labels will help ensure that you are giving your cat the best food, with the best nutrients and vitaminsKeep in mind the age of your cat.
- 8Some foods can prove to be more helpful to your cat than other foods if your cat is sick, healthy, old, or young. There may be other situations that affect your cat at certain times.Consult your vet for advice on the type of food your cat needs to consume depending on their current situation.
- 9If you do not call you will not know exactly what is being put in your cat's food or about tests that are conducted. This information will not be listed on the label of the cat food that you are purchasing at the time.Contact certain pet food companies for more information regarding the processing of their food or any testing that has been conducted since they are not obligated to place this information on their cat food products.
- 10The other owners will be able to give you honest opinions in regards to the cat food they are using. This will likely be impartial information since they are not gaining anything by giving this advice. Be sure that when gaining this information that you are not taking into consideration any opinions that have been left by someone who works for the cat company. Sometimes individuals are paid to give opinions about the food in order to improve the sales of the product. It often happens that online opinions and reviews for pet food are made by people who are paid by a company using whatever business tactics they need to favor their product. Companies may also be encouraging their employees to comment on their product, so try your best to determine whether the comment or review is true from someone seeking the serve only the best interests of the company.Go online and look up reviews on different cat foods that have been created for your cat in order to get the perspective of other cat owners and lovers.
- 11If your cat seems to only eat half of the food instead of it all daily, this may be an indication that she might not enjoy the food that you have provided. Some cat owners may continue to give their cat the same food in hopes that she develops a taste for it. You should understand that this doesn't always occur in all cats. If it has been over a month and your cat is continuing to eat only half of the food then it may be time to buy a new food product for your cat. If your cat is completely ignoring the food altogether then she is not enjoying the food at all and you will need to immediately get a new type of food for her to enjoy.Take into consideration how your cat reacts to certain foods over a period of time since some cats will let you know if they enjoy the food you have provided them to eat.
- 12A friend will give you the most honest opinion since they will also want your cat to be as healthy as their own.Ask friends the type of food that they provide for their cats to get a good and honest opinion on exactly what foods are helping their cats, filling their appetite and keeping them healthy.
- 13Find out what kind of food they give their cats to keep them healthy. All cat breeds are not the same and may need to be cared for differently. By researching your cat's specific breed you will be able to get a better understanding of which food to provide your for your cat.Research your cat's breed in order to get help from other owners of the same breed of cat.
Giving your cat the right food will keep your cat happy and healthy and strengthen the bond between you and your cat.
- 1Feeding good quality food, you will have a healthier cat, and he will live longer!Advertisement
- 2Look for "premium" or "natural" cat food.
- 3Check with your Veterinarian for the BEST Approved food.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
Best brand for all types of cat breeds?
There isn't actually one brand that could be tagged as the best, since each breed of cats do have their own nutritional requirements. However, the following list of the best cat foods on the market may help you the next time you go shopping for your dear feline pal.
- Purina Cat Chow
- Natural Balance
- Innova EVO
- Nature's Logic
- Wellness Chicken
- Halo's Spots Stew for Cats - Original Flavor
- Evolve Natural Canned Chicken Formula
- Weruva Paw Licking' Chicken
Categories : Cats
Recent edits by: Jen M, Lynn, Maria Sharon Ubando