Choose clothing colors that complement your skin tone
Edited by Ryan, Lynn, Charmed, Mian Sheilette Ong and 21 others
Many of us choose to wear clothing according to fashion trends and seasons rather than picking out clothes based on our skin's natural coloring. This isn't doing you any favors, and it can make your skin look washed out or appear to blend in with your clothes. Choosing clothing that will complement your skin tone is not that difficult, but it does require some basic knowledge of color theory and the ability to determine your skin's undertones. Choosing the right shades of color for your wardrobe will help you look great, feel confident, and need very little makeup or accessories to look fantastic.
Fashion statements come and go - this season, the red hot color might be a color that looks good on you, and in the next season a completely unflattering color for your skin tone may be the top pick. Instead of choosing clothes based on popularity, choose them based on how well they complement you.
- 1 How to Determine Skin Tone
- 2 Seasonal Color Theory
- 3 How to Determine Skin Undertone
- 4 Use the Color Wheel to Combine Colors
- 5 Colors That Complement any Tone
- 6 Choosing Colors Based On Eye Color
- 7 Enhance Your Complexion with Your Clothing Choices
- 8 More information
- 9 Questions and Answers
- 9.1 What skin tone will emerald green compliment?
- 9.2 What clothing color works with a warm skin tone?
- 9.3 What is the best fabric color for an olive complexion?
- 9.4 What colors are complementary to dark skin tones?
- 9.5 Clothing colors to wear that compliment blush skin, brown eyes & reddish brown hair?
- 9.6 Would a jade color look nice on brown skin?
- 9.7 What colors of material compliment silver?
- 9.8 Choose clothes for olive skin?
- 9.9 How to check skin undertone using left or right hand?
- 9.10 Is pumpkin color good for cool tones?
- 9.11 Cobalt blue suits which complexion?
- 9.12 From what I've read I am kind of neutral but definitely leaning towards the cool toned category. I've got Mediterranean olive toned skin and I look amazing in purples, burgundies, navies, electric blues, Bordeaux etc. I don't really like warm toned colors, even though I don't look bad in them. However, I would like to ask if I would look good in olive toned clothes. What do you think?
- 9.13 What colors are safe to combine with a pink blazer?
- 9.14 Can I wear a melon/orange maxi dress if I am fair/porcelain with pink undertones (no yellow in my skin). My hair is naturally "dirty blonde/tan" but I have it colored a deeper/richer brown so I don't appear so washed out. My eyes are olive green if that matters? They offer this beautiful maxi in a deep blue (but all my maxis are blue). I prefer the blue, but my husband liked the melon which is a sunset orange shade. Thank you?
- 10 Comments
How to Determine Skin Tone
Before you can choose your ideal clothing colors, you'll need to determine your skin tone. Skin tones vary from warm (yellow/green-based) to cool (pink/blue-based), and some people have a neutral skin tone that works well with both warm and cool tones. Below are the steps you should follow to determine your skin tone:
- 1Test Using Foundation.Advertisement
- 2Be sure that you don't wear any jewelry or nail polish before doing this test. On your left wrist or hand, try on a bracelet, wrist watch, or ring in gold material. On your other wrist or hand, wear a silver bracelet, wrist watch, or ring. A white metal like silver will complement a person with cool skin tone, while the gold metal will look better on a person with a warm skin tone.Test Using Metal.Advertisement
- 3Before doing this test, again, be sure that you aren't wearing any nail polish or jewelry. Use a plain, white piece of paper and place your palm and hand on it. Turn over the paper to see your palms and arms. Check if there is a distinctly blue or pink cast. If you see one of those colors, then your skin tone is cool. If you see an orange or yellow cast, then your skin tone is warm.Test Using Paper.
- 4Test Using Color.
- 5Comparing your skin tone to others' skin tones could be very helpful if they're up for it. Ask some of your family and friends to stand in front of the mirror. Compare each complexion. Skin tone that looks pinker compared with the others has cool skin tone. Next, to the others, a person who looks more golden probably is one with a warm color tone.Test Using Comparison.
- 6Test Using Yellow Fabric.
Seasonal Color Theory
The Color Theory suggests that people can be placed into two different categories of skin tone: warm complexion and cool complexion. There are other theories which you can also apply in terms of choosing the right color clothing for you to wear.
- 2The skin color of a Summer person is cool mocha, rose beige, pink, or porcelain. The natural hair color of the person is brown with strawberry highlights, light to dark ash brown, or ash brown. Summer's general palette is cool, light and soft, and muted. Colors that will complement this skin tone are rose beige, blue-gray, winter white, jade green, pale lemon, soft blue, and powder pink. Celebrities that can be categorized under this season of summer color complexion are Matt Damon, Mel Gibson, Paul Newman, Jodie Foster, Leona Lewis, Kimberly Williams-Paisley, and Ingrid Bergman.Summer.
- 3Autumn skin is warm brown or warm beige. The natural color of their hair is warm or red-black, golden brown, auburn, red, or golden blonde. The colors of autumn's palette are deep, soft, muted, and brown. Colors that will complement this type of skin tone are warm charcoal, brown, off-white, maroon, olive green, mustard, and pumpkin. Celebrities that can be categorized under this season of summer color complexion are Denzel Washington, Bruce Lee, Hilary Swank, Cindy Crawford, Julia Roberts, Oprah Winfrey, and Katharine Hepburn.Autumn.
- 4The skin color of a Winter-skinned person is cool brown, olive, rose, beige, or porcelain. The natural color of the hair is blue-black, medium to dark ash brown, or white-blonde, although the latter is very rare. The color of its palette are cool, deep, clear and bright. Colors that will complement this type of skin tone are taupe, black, white, purple, emerald green, cobalt blue, blue, and red. Celebrities that can be categorized under this season of winter are Seal, John Travolta, Lucy Liu, Kim Kardashian, Alek Wek, Demi Moore, and Elizabeth Taylor.Winter.
How to Determine Skin Undertone
Now that you can identify your skin tone using Color or Season Theory, you will need to determine your undertone. There are many different skin tone shades, but there are only two types of undertones.
- 2Blue or purple veins mean that your undertone is cool.
- 3Green or yellowish veins mean that your skin undertone is warm.
Use the Color Wheel to Combine Colors
Now that you know your skin type and undertone, you can start putting together colors for you to wear. One way to do this is by using the color wheel. Some colors seem like they should not look good together, but they do! That's because of the color wheel.
If you try to create an imaginary line to split the color wheel, half of the color wheel are warm colors and the other half are cool colors. There are two main ways to pick colors that will look great together:
- 1Use your finger to trace the color opposite of that color on the wheel to get the color that will complement your first pick. The two colors that you got are called "complementary colors." If they complement one another on the wheel, they will also complement one another in your wardrobe.Pick any color from the color wheel.
- 2These are what is called "analogous colors." Remember that half of the color wheel is warm colors and the other is cool colors, so you may need to play around with analogous color combinations to find ones that match your skin tone.Pick another color, look for the color on its left or right.
Colors That Complement any Tone
Some colors look great on any skin tone. These are:
Choosing Colors Based On Eye Color
Choosing the right color for you also requires consideration of the color of your eyes.
- 2This eye-color has two categories. There are brown eyes with red tones or those with green tones. If your eyes appear reddish, then you should wear deep warm tones. Brown, gold, and yellow can also be a good complement, but don't forget to check your skin color too. If your brown eyes appear more greenish, you should wear Emerald color or plum shades to emphasize the green hues in your eyes.Brown eyes.
Enhance Your Complexion with Your Clothing Choices
If you're having trouble determining the right clothes for your skin color or tone, check out this easy-to-follow guide below. It can help you when you're shopping for new clothes or pairing outfits from your existing wardrobe. You can instantly brighten up your complexion by choosing clothes with the right depth and tone.
- 1If you have a rather pale skin tone, it can be easily washed out with the wrong color choices. Stick to a base of darker colors such as navy blue, deep brown, black, charcoal, burgundy, and deep green. Avoid soft pastels, light beige and anything else too close to your skin tone, as well as bright colors such as yellow or orange. Richer jewel tones combined with lighter touches of camel, slate gray or sand can enhance your skin tone rather than drown it out.Fair skin tones.
- 2Medium skin tones look best with both light colors and deep, dark or rich colors. Choosing colors from opposite ends of the spectrum such as white, pale beige, stone gray, black and deeper jewel tones. Avoid wearing colors that might too closely match your skin tones, such as light brown, mustard yellow or olive green. If you're on the darker side of medium, you can experiment with brighter, medium-toned colors.Medium skin tones.
- 3Dark skin tones have most leeway when choosing clothing because looking washed out isn't part of the equation. It's still important to choose your colors wisely, however. Stick with dark blue, black or charcoal as a base for your wardrobe, but add in accents of bright colors and jewel tones. Avoid deep brown, especially if it's similar to your skin tone. Muted and pastel shades look good on you, too.Dark skin tones.Advertisement
If you consider your skin tone, hair color, and eye color, you will be able to create a wardrobe that will make you look and feel fantastic. There is no better way to make your self confidence soar than to dress well. Remember the color wheel, so that you can mix and match your colors, and it will be like you have a whole new set of outfits in your wardrobe. No need to buy expensive clothes and accessories that are "in" at the moment - dress for yourself!
You may be dressed well, but there's one last thing you can do to look even better: never underestimate the power of a smile. Smile, and it will make you look even better. It will also give you the feeling that everything or anything that you wear is stunningly beautiful and if you look positive, you will be more attractive to others as well.
Be yourself, and never let anybody make you feel that you are not beautiful, inside and out. Just thinking positive and happy thoughts will bring out the beauty that will never fade.
Questions and Answers
What skin tone will emerald green compliment?
Emerald green will compliment all types of skin colors from dark tone, earth tone to light tones people. It looks especially good on people with an olive complexion, and fair-skinned people with both warm and cool tones.
What clothing color works with a warm skin tone?
The earthy colors of clothing work best for a warm skin tone. Choose clothes in brown, red, and green shades. Gray, navy, and ivory are also good to complement to this kind of skin type.
The color of your dress or top can definitely make or break your style. There is a gray area in between that of a fashion victim and a glamorous diva. You just need to know what clothing colors compliment your skin tone.
For instance, if you happen to be gifted with a warm skin tone, you will look fabulous in earthy colors and soft or subtle palettes such as brown, orange, peach, green, gold, ivory, aqua, and yellow. You should think twice though before wearing any clothing with hues of black, white or other dark colors that may prove to be unflattering to your skin tone.
See more questions like this: Colors not to wear with a warm skin tones
What is the best fabric color for an olive complexion?
Having an color:grey'>olive complexion is lucky, because it means you can wear all kinds color:grey'>of colors. The best color for olive skin, though, is pink, because it adds more glow to the person. Shades of red and colors in the orange family are also good options.
The olive complexion categorically belongs to "cool" surface tone under the "Winter" season. Most Asians belong in this particular category. Popular celebrities that have olive skin tone are Lucy Liu, Demi Moore, and Seal; to name a few. The perfect fabric color picks to complement olive complexion would be playing around the shades of black, white, blue, green, taupe, and purple.
See more questions like this: Best clothing colors for brunettes
What colors are complementary to dark skin tones?
The safest color for a dark skin tone is white, but if you want to wear any other colors, you can try shades of purple, pink, touches of soft to rich yellow, copper, gold, and bronze.
Light colors complement a dark complexion such as peach, light green, pink, orange or etc. These colors will help to complement dark skin complexion.
See more questions like this: Color wheel for summer skin tones
Clothing colors to wear that compliment blush skin, brown eyes & reddish brown hair?
If you have true auburn, red, or copper hair, you probably have yellowish, ivory, or golden undertones to your skin. If you have one of these hair colors, you might have green, hazel or brown eyes. For this kind of combination, natural and earth tones suit you best. Brown, dark and olive green, red, orange, gold, and beige look good on you. Purple, navy, bright red, pink, gray, and taupe will probably not complement your overall features.
The universal color, black, will make your face look sallow. To wear black properly, you should pair it with one of the aforementioned colors above. Your face will glow if you wear a black dress with a shawl or a jacket in one of the colors above.
See more questions like this: Dress color for neutral skin blonde hair and green eyes
Would a jade color look nice on brown skin?
It has been said that brown skin perfectly blends with bright colors, such as yellow, peach, silver, coral, gold and other jewel tones. These colors look beautiful on a brown skin tone. Jade color is one of the jewel tones and suits the brown skin tone. Nevertheless, it still depends on how deep your brown skin tone is. If you have a medium-brown skin tone, then jewel tones are perfect for you. If you have deep brown skin, stick with bright colors and avoid dark hues, like brown. In fact, bright colors make you stand out if you have brown skin.
What colors of material compliment silver?
Almost color:grey'>color:grey'>anything can go with silver. If you want to achieve a frosted look, you can try white or blue. Combining maroon or purple with silver will help you achieve a regal look. If you're shooting for retro, then try silver with orange or yellow.
Silver goes very well with anything, as long as you maintain it all throughout. For example, if you are using a silver necklace, do not use a golden earrings or bracelet. Silver won't look right paired with different color accessories.
Also, it may not look as attractive when you pair it up with anything gray in color, since it will look too monochromatic.
See more questions like this: What colors should I pick when choosing clothes
Choose clothes for olive skin?
An olive complexion means color:grey'>you're on the more tanned side. Your skin color can be highlighted by beige, black, and teal. Make sure to wear them with another color to bring out your personality, or accessorize to spice up the monotone colors.
You can refer to this chart for the colors that suit your olive skin. Remember that olive skin color is also known as a warm color tone. Go to the link below to see the chart:
See more questions like this: What clothes colours best suit yellow skin
How to check skin undertone using left or right hand?
Your hands or wrists have visible veins. If yours are not very visible, find a spot on your body where you can easily see your veins. If they are blue, you have a cool skin undertone. If they're green, then you have a warm skin undertone.
While a person's skin surface tone may change due to some environmental factors like the weather, your skin undertone or the skin tone that lies right beneath the surface tone will remain constant. Skin undertones are identified as the following:
- Warm undertones - Described to have peachy or golden yellow skin undertones.
- Cool undertones - Gravitate towards the bluish, red, and pink skin undertones.
If you seem to have a combination of the two, you may have a neutral undertone. Make sure you use natural lighting to check, as fluorescent and other types of lights can give things a different colored hue.
Is pumpkin color good for cool tones?
Yes, pumpkin color will go very well with cool tones. You can partner it with a dark color like black, which will make your skin tone look brighter.
Cobalt blue suits which complexion?
All complexions will work with cobalt blue since it is a light color and will show or project better than any other darker color.
See more questions like this: I want to know which color clothes suits to me since my face complexion is lite brown ===What to wear to a modeling interview?=== [Does this really belong here?]
Use your skin and eye color to determine the color of the dress (or shirt) you should wear. You can add some accessories like a necklace, earrings, bracelet, or ring (the colors of the accessories should match too!). If you are a woman, high heeled shoes look great, as long as you match the shoe's color to your clothes or accessories.
Lastly, you need confidence!
If you like how you dress up daily (clothes that you are comfortable with) like a shirt and pants with simple but nice shoes, you can also wear that to a modeling interview, because it represents yourself. If you wear a light color of shirt and pants, wear a dark color of shoes and accessories. If you wear a dark shirt and pants, wear a light color for shoes and accessories.
I am asking because I want to buy a coat that is this color but I'm indecisive about it
Olive-toned clothing can look good on olive-toned skin, but make sure that it's darker or lighter than your skin tone. If you're a dark shade of olive, this isn't that much of a concern. If the tone matches your skin, it might appear to blend with and wash out your skin color. It's best to stick with a much lighter or darker shade of brown or gray or to only choose one olive-colored article of clothing, such as a jacket or pants, and coordinate it with something white, charcoal, deep brown or black.
What colors are safe to combine with a pink blazer?
Black jeans and a pink blazer, what can I team this with for a first date? I am 46 years old, Dark skin tone.
White is the safest bet for pairing with a pink blazer and black jeans. It will really make your skin color pop. If the blazer is a bright pink color, it would also look good with light gray.
Can I wear a melon/orange maxi dress if I am fair/porcelain with pink undertones (no yellow in my skin). My hair is naturally "dirty blonde/tan" but I have it colored a deeper/richer brown so I don't appear so washed out. My eyes are olive green if that matters? They offer this beautiful maxi in a deep blue (but all my maxis are blue). I prefer the blue, but my husband liked the melon which is a sunset orange shade. Thank you?
I am concerned that I will appear washed out since I need vibrant colors to look alive such as jewel tones~cobalt blue, bright green, red, black, etc. I prefer this dress in "twilight blue" which is gorgeous, but I already own 2 navy maxi dresses, and 2 medium blue maxis. I was trying to be different with the "melon." It does not seem to be a pale melon. Here is the link if you have time to see both colors? http://www.qvc.com/G.I.L.I.-Sleeveless-Asymmetric-Hem-Knit-Dress-with-V-neck.product.A266220.html?orderId=272507309&itemId=221340436&sc=CRT
Since you do have some warmth from olive green eyes and a rich brown hair color, it might be possible for you to look good in a melon colored dress. It's best to choose melon shades that are on the pinker side, but you can make it work for you by adding a touch of bronzer or a soft pinky-peach lip and cheek color to keep it from washing you out.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Fashion
Recent edits by: JOHNI, Shelley, melroy