Choose Your Government Official
Edited by Jonathan, Emmanuel M. Lardizabal, Eng, Maria Sharon Ubando and 4 others
Do you have doubts concerning the candidate's capabilities during the election?
Do you often ask yourself if the people are fit and deserving of the positions they are running for?
When time comes to decide who deserves your vote, do you still have questions continuously running at the back of your mind?
If you have doubts a few days or weeks before you cast your vote, you should do some more thinking before you finally put vote for a candidate. Suffrage is one right of people. It is not just a right, but a privilege. It is one that should be exercised properly. Suffrage is the right of the people to vote and elect the government officials they are interested in and in whom they have placed their trust.
The country is led by our government officials. It is we, the people, who allows them the task of governing the nation. With the power available to the people, it's each individual's responsibility is to make sure only those who are deserving gets a seat. You have the president, the vice-president, senators, legislators and many other local officials - all who are voted by the people, and who work for the people - something you should never forget, even when they do.
A lot of citizens regret their choice of government officials. There are a few worthy government officials who have uplifted the lives of their countrymen, but there are a lot who call themselves public servants but have not proven themselves to be worthy of the public trust. Insufficiency, lack of knowledge, lack of genuine concern and rampant corruption are just a few of the negative things seen in public officials in many countries. Politics is one big circus and if you get lured with the entertainment that goes with it, the world will be more in political chaos. Do your due-diligence, but always be aware...so often, those who strive for a life in politics, do so for all the wrong reasons, and are the very people who shouldn't be in politics in the first place.
Things to Consider Before Voting
- 1Background check.Advertisement
- 2You may want to check the standing of the candidates in pulse surveys. Be aware of the voice of the public and determine for yourself what their worth is, but always remember that people have their own thinking and choices and in the end, it will still be your vote that counts. Sometimes, being on top in surveys doesn't mean that the candidate is the best choice. Perhaps he's the most charming, or good looking, or is able to lie with ease. Think well and write the name of only the one who deserves your vote. Polls can be helpful in determining who's the talk of the town for the time being, but then again, polls are not always reliable. Trust your instinct and own judgment and you'll know you made the right choice.Voting pulse may also be useful in choosing your government officials.Advertisement
- 3The candidate should be able to come up with solutions on how these problems can be resolved. Knowing the situation but not doing anything to fix it is a trait of a traditional politicians; unscrupulous and not worthy. Experience and dedication; look for a government official with these traits.A candidate should know what the real situation of his nation is, but just knowing is not enough.
- 4You need someone who listens and values the voice of the people. Someone who always finds someone or something will never be a good government official. A good candidate needs to be brave to admit mistakes, learns from mistakes and seeks advice on how to improve his leadership. Unfortunately, these types are almost extinct. All we see now are egoistic, narcissistic politicians and not the honest public servants they promise to be.Consider the attitude or personality of a candidate who should be approachable, a good communicator, a good leader and a follower at the same time.
- 5In the forum, you may conduct a question and answer portion between the running Government officials and the people. In the question and answer, you can ask the questions related to their accomplishments, plans or their upcoming projects. You can also find out whether their projects are feasible. Their answers can help you determine whether they really are the right officials or not. Nowadays, the public are getting more and more aware and more are also participating in forum as this. You will disappointed to know that most aspirants don't have a clue what they are talking about, and many do not have what it takes to be a leader. Join, ask and judge; three things you need to do before choosing.Conduct a forum for the running Government officials.
- 6You must select a candidate who has a clean record and is offense free. You can't trust a person who's got a criminal record or you can't enforce the law if you yourself have broken it. Say, an official has been charged of plunder and has been found guilty. Now, one of his platforms is to eradicate graft and corruption; would this be believable?No criminal offenses/records.
- 7This is your best indication to their character. How well they know the issues will be revealed when they are put on the spot, and have to answer questions.Watch any debates - either live or televised.
- 8Watch for this in every aspect of the election. If they talk more about other candidates than they do about important issues, they probably don't know much about the issues. Watch for those times they don't actually answer the question, but rather deflect the conversation elsewhere. Sadly, sometimes the facilitator of the debate doesn't realize the question hasn't been answered. In an attempt to deflect, they'll bring up other candidates' past, say a lot of empty platitudes - like this. Q. What will you do to improve the environment? A. You know our party has always put environment before any other issue. In the past we have... My opponent doesn't... They say anything but answer the question.Deflection.
Characteristics A Candidate For The Government Office Must Possess
- 1Someone whose own moral compass is pointed in the right direction, and doing the right thing is important to your candidate.The candidate must have integrity.Advertisement
- 2In this age of technology, they are getting caught in lies more and more, and you might find you are voting for the lesser of several evils. Ideally, you want someone who is honest both behind and in front of the camera. # You also want someone moral and with a good sense of judgement.Honesty is rare in the realm of politics, but look for it, and take note of the things your candidates are lying about.
- 3The candidate suited for the Government office should be a candidate with confidence. There are many people who rely on them so they should have the confidence to lead.Confidence.
- 4The candidate must have the courage to face all challenges that he and his constituents will be facing.Courage.
- 5The candidate fit for the Government office should be one who knows how to lead, one who decides wisely on what's good and what's not good for his people. A good leader doesn't have an agenda. A good leader makes choices based on what is the right thing to do.Leader.
- 6The running Government official is one who is responsible in a way to provide logical answers and action when dealing with problems in order to improve the lives of everyone. Responsibility is a big word for government officials and not too many are able to live up to the word. Responsibility is the deep understanding of all the people who are relying on you to make good decisions and take care of them.Responsible.
Tips and Suggestions
- 1In some countries, Civil Service Eligibility is needed for one to enter the public office, if this was implemented to everyone running the office, then it would probably make a difference.In most countries, the requirements are not rigid for candidates running for an office.Advertisement
- 2Could be three, six or nine years and three years would be long enough for a bad leadership. Always vote wisely. Look into the capabilities and not popularity. Celebrities have not only conquered the show business but the world of politics as well. There are some celebrities who really have the heart for public service but not for stereotyping, what experience do they have with their abrupt jump from camera lens to the almost chaotic world of politics. Again, there could be good aspirants from the showbiz world so a great deal of judgment is needed on this.Tenure varies in different countries for different positions.
- 3The basic necessities should be met at all times and not just few months after the election. A good leader would want to provide a good quality of life to its people. Essential public services that make for a decent quality of life for the citizenry are the following: Clean and wide roads; continuous electricity, well treated water supply, comfortable housing, secure jobs, conducive atmosphere to start businesses, citizen-friendly government services, reliable and affordable (some states give it free) medical, dental, and optical benefits, quality education, reasonable vacation and sick leave benefits duly signed into law, dignified police and military protection, permissible taxation schemes, comfortable senior citizen pensions. If they are not being met, it time to change officials in the next election.Look at their leadership achievements.
- 4In this way, you will get to hear the platform of government of each candidate and their arguments on why their techniques are much better than their opponents' own style of governance. But be clever to see right through the speech and the character of each candidate because you can discern among them who is sincere and trustworthy of your vote. Weed out the hypocrites. Usually the credible ones do not even compare their style with that of their opponent. In fact, they never even mention the name of their opponent out of a measure of respect. They just talk about what they can do to effect positive change in the landscape.If you have the time and you care, attend or watch on TV the debates or political rallies which the politicians organize.
- 5People who run for public office should be prepared for the invasion of privacy. They know that the media and the public would like to know what they are like in private: as a family man, as a businessperson, how he pays and treats his employees, as a taxpayer, as a God-fearing person. If they have a track record of corruption and illicit sexual affairs and substance abuse, why would you vote them into public office again? It is like shooting yourself in the leg.Scrutinize the lifestyle of the candidates.
- 6You cannot vote for your preferred candidate if you did not register as a voter. Most countries permit their citizens to vote by the time they reach 18 years of age. Yes, this actually should go on top of the list. Exercise your right to vote, maximize it and it will make a difference.Register as a voter.Advertisement
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Choose Your Government Official. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 23, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Choose_Your_Government_Official
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Choose Your Government Official." VisiHow, visihow.com/Choose_Your_Government_Official Accessed 23 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Choose Your Government Official." Accessed Jun 23, 2017. http://visihow.com/Choose_Your_Government_Official.
Categories : Political Science & Law
Recent edits by: Nuance, Alma, Robbi