Choose Your Government Official
Edited by Jonathan, Emmanuel M. Lardizabal, Eng, Anonymous and 3 others
Do you have some doubts with the candidate's capabilities during election period? You sometimes ask yourself if the people running for a position are fit and deserving. When time that you need to decide who deserves our votes, you still have questions continuously running at the back of your mind. If you have doubts a few days or weeks before you cast your votes, you should do some more thinking before you finally put in their names.
Suffrage is one right of people. It is not just a right, but a privilege. It is one which should be exercised properly.
Suffrage is the right of the people to vote and elect the government officials they are interested in and in whom they have placed their trust.
The country is led by our government officials. They are given the task of governing the nation by the people. With the task given to them, it is then important that only the deserving and able should be given a seat. You have the president, the vice-president, senators, legislators and many other local officials.
A lot of citizens regret their choice of government officials. There are a few worthy government officials who have uplifted the lives of their countrymen, but there are a lot who call themselves public servants but have not proven themselves to be worthy of the public trust. Insufficiency, lack of knowledge, lack of genuine concern and rampant corruption are just a few of the negative things seen in public officials in many countries. Politics is one big circus and if you get lured with the entertainment that goes with it, the world will be more in political chaos.
Things to Consider Before Voting
- 1Background check.Advertisement
- 2Voting pulse may also be useful in choosing your government officials.You may want to check the standing of the candidates in pulse surveys. Be aware of the voice of the public and determine for yourself what their worth is.But always remember that people have their own thinking and choices and in the end, it will still be your vote that counts. Sometimes, being on top spot on surveys does not mean that he is the best among the candidates. Think well and write the name of only the one who deserves your vote. Polls can be helpful in determining who's the talk of the town for the time being but then again, polls are not always reliable. Trust your instinct and own judgment ans you'll know you made the right choice.Advertisement
- 3A candidate should know what the real situation of his nation is.But knowing alone is not enough, he should lay some solutions on how these problems can be resolved. Knowing the situation but not doing anything to fix it is a trait of a traditional politicians; unscrupulous and not worthy. Experience and dedication; look for a government official with these traits. # Consider the attitude or personality of a candidate. He should be approachable, a good communicator, a good leader and a follower at the same time. He is not afraid to be be led and learn from the common people. Someone who always finds someone or something will never be a good government official. He needs to be brave to admit he erred, learns from his mistakes and seeks advice how he can improve his leadership. Unfortunately, these types are almost into extinction. All we see now are egoistic politicians and not the honest public servant they promised to be.
- 4Conduct a forum for the running Government officials.In the forum, you may conduct question and answer portion between the running Government officials and the people. In the question and answer, you can ask the questions related to their accomplishments, plans or their upcoming projects. You can also know whether their projects are feasible. Their answers can help you determine whether they really are the right officials or not. Nowadays, the public are getting more and more aware and more are also participating in forum as this. You will even be dismayed to know that most aspirants do not even know what they are talking about. That some of them do not really have the solid foundation as a leader. Join, ask and judge; three things you need to do before choosing.
- 5He should not have committed any criminal offense/record.You must select a candidate with clean record and offense free. You can't trust a person who's got a criminal record or you can't enforce the law if you yourself has broken it once in your life. Say, an official has been charged of plunder and has been found guilty. Now, one of his platforms is to eradicate graft and corruption; would this be believable?
Characteristics a candidate for the Government office must possess
- 1The candidate must have integrity.He possess the character of being honest all the time; whether he is in front or behind the camera/public. He should be morally educated and has a good sense of judgement.Advertisement
- 2The candidate suit for the Government office should be a candidate with confidence.There are many people who rely on them so they should have the confidence to lead. He must have the courage to face all challenges that he and his constituents will be facing.
- 3The candidate fit for the Government office should be one who knows how to lead.he can decide wisely on what's good and not for his people. A good leader, whether he handles small or large group of people knows what to do.
- 4The running Government official is one who is responsible.Responsible in a way that he comes up with answers to problems and improve the lives of everyone. Responsibility is a big word for government officials and not too many are able to get all those responsibilities done. Responsibility is not only doing what needs to be done and given to the people but also being responsible in their acts. Be a model to the youth, children, homes, employees, housewives- EVERYONE.
Tips and Suggestions
- 1In most countries,the requirements are not rigid with candidates running for an office.In some countries, Civil Service Eligibility is needed for one to enter the public office, if this will be implemented to everyone running the office, then it could probably make a difference.Advertisement
- 2Tenure varies in different countries for different positions.Could be three, six or nine years and three years would be long enough for a bad leadership. Always vote wisely. Look into the capabilities and not popularity. Celebrities have not only conquered the show business but the world of politics as well. There are some celebrities who really have the heart for public service but not for stereotyping, what experience do they have with their abrupt jump from camera lens to the almost chaotic world of politics. Again, there could be good aspirants from the showbiz world so a great deal of judgment is needed on this.
- 3Look on their leadership achievements.The basic necessities should be met at all times and not just few months after the election. A good leader would want to provide a good quality of life to it people. Essential public services that make for a decent quality of life for the citizenry are the following: Clean and wide roads; continuous electricity, well treated water supply, comfortable housing, secure jobs, conducive atmosphere to start businesses, citizen-friendly government services, reliable and affordable (some states give it free) medical, dental, and optical benefits, quality education, reasonable vacation and sick leave benefits duly signed into law, dignified police and military protection, permissible taxation schemes, comfortable senior citizen pensions. If they are not being met, it time to change officials during the next election period.
- 4If you have the time and you care, attend or watch on TV the debates or political rallies which the politicians organize.In this way, you will get to hear the platform of government of each candidate and their arguments on why their techniques are much better than their opponents' own style of governance. But be clever to see right through the speech and the character of each candidate because you can discern among them who is sincere and trustworthy of your vote. Weed out the hypocrites. Usually the credible ones do not even compare their style with that of their opponent. In fact, they never even mention the name of their opponent out of a measure of respect. They just talk about what they can do to effect positive change in the landscape.
- 5Scrutinize the lifestyle of the candidates.People who run for public office should be prepared for invasion of privacy. They know that the media and the public would like to know what they are like in private: as a family man, as a businessperson, how he pays and treats his employees, as a taxpayer, as a God-fearing person. If they have a track record of corruption and illicit sexual affairs and substance abuse, why would you vote them into public office again? It is like shooting yourself in the leg.
- 6Register as a voter.You cannot vote for your preferred candidate if you did not register as a voter. Most countries permit their citizens to vote by the time they reach 18 years of age. Yes, this actually should go on top of the list. Exercise your right to vote, maximize it and it will make a difference.Advertisement
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Political Science & Law
Recent edits by: Robbi, Maria Sharon Ubando, Anonymous