Choose Music for a Wedding
Edited by Sean, Anonymous, Eng
Wedding's are often huge events in anyone's life and there are always so many things to consider, and as someone who has worked at hundred's of weddings I've seen what can happen when people don't carefully consider the difference between DJs and live bands. Those are the main two options for music at most weddings and each of them has their own sets of advantages and disadvantages. On this guide I will explain the differences between the those two distinct types of musical entertainment and give some tips so that you can make the right choice.
Consider a DJ
Having a DJ at your wedding can be a unique experience as long as you consider what they bring to the table, but first let's look at what a great DJ can offer:
- Compared to live bands, a DJ is cheap and can cost hundreds of dollars instead of thousands.
- They are interested in accommodating you and letting you make the playlist personal.
- They can cover a wide variety of genres and often have the majority of popular songs on top of classics, and you can check out their selection long before the wedding itself.
- Usually a DJ will only need a small amount of space in order to get setup.
- Experienced DJs react to the crowd and provide musical changes in order to keep the dance floor alive and kicking.
Finding a DJ
To find a great DJ you either have to be very careful or very lucky. If you have people or companies you are also working with at the wedding, like caterers, that can refer a variety of DJs then it is easy, but here is a simple way to get a good idea of what kind of DJs are in your area:
- 1Open up a web browser, any of them, and go to Yelp.comAdvertisement
- 3Next hit the search button, the magnifying glass to the right of those two areas.
- 5You will see many different options for musical entertainment in your area, often under the name of a company and not just DJ, and with plenty of reviews to help you see what kind of experience each DJ offers.Advertisement
Yelp might be an obvious place to look for something like this and it isn't meant to be the only thing you use to find a DJ for your wedding, but it is somewhere to start if you don't know anything about the area or any of the musical entertainment in that city.
Consider a Live Band
Live Bands at weddings are truly a unique option and have many attractive aspects, but before we take a look at what makes them great, let's first see what their drawbacks are:
- A live band will often cost far more than DJ based their size, quality and popularity.
- The venue is very important for a live band and how their acoustics will react to that environment.
- Bands take up a lot of space and may need special accommodations, which could be very important if you have an indoor event with little space.
- The volume of a live band in a cramped environment might make it challenging for your guests to converse, which can give the wedding more of a concert feel than an intimate event.
Now, some of the great things about live bands:
- If your wedding has a specific theme, like rock or classical, then they can directly reflect that.
- An experienced band will know how to engage with your guests in order to create a unique mood.
- They can also react to and mold their musical selection based on the mood of your guests.
- Live bands provide a unique atmosphere that will help make your wedding memorable.
To find a live band you can follow the previous procedure about searching Yelp, but that isn't quite as effective since many bands won't be digitally represented in the same way as the entertainment companies that provide DJs for events.
In this case you will have to rely more on your friends, family and anyone you trust to help make referrals, or do it the hard way and look up bands in your area based on the type of music they play. Many bands will let you know when they are playing so that you can check them out before having to make a decision about whether or not you want them for your wedding.
Picking music for your wedding should be one of the easier tasks, but it is still something you should consider carefully and take your time doing. Being able to check out bands or hear personal opinions of DJs may end up being very important if it means you end up with something that is high quality, worth your money, entertaining for your guests and overall memorable. As always, if you have any questions about any of this or anything related, then please feel free to ask.
- Y You No Meme - Imgflip.com
- Bands vs DJs - Borrowed and Blue.com
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Entertainment
Recent edits by: Anonymous, Sean