Choose Between the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4
Edited by Batkingnz, Eng, Lynn, Nlangster and 2 others
With the release of these two consoles from industry superpowers Sony and Microsoft almost upon us, many people are left overwhelmed and undecided on where to invest their next generation game time. Just take a look around the internet to see the information overload, the rumours, the conflicting hardware specs and the fans in every corner telling you exactly why you should go with one or the other. We're not going to give you a straight face off on specs and features, because on paper they mean nothing until we get to play the games and feel the console in action. Instead, in the how to below, we are going to give you five key starting points to help you decide, "Which one is for me?"
What to Consider
- 1One of the first things you should consider is, if you already have a current generation Xbox or PlayStation, whether you are happy with it or not. Maybe you have both consoles now and you prefer one over the other? Although the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 have all new internals, redesigned from the ground up, some aspects continue with the familiar design aspects from the previous generation. The controllers, for example, have some new features and streamlining, yet they still retain the classic shape and feel of their predecessors. If you've always preferred one over the other, then this could be a factor in your decision.Familiarity.Advertisement
- 2Hardware specs, while great on paper, do not always mean everything in the real world. Both consoles have custom 8 core processors along with custom graphics chips. They both have 8 GB of RAM although the type used in the PlayStation 4 is slightly faster than in the Xbox One. Both consoles will come with 500 GB hard drives, and both will output video via HDMI at full HD 1080p. Game developers working on both consoles have said in many instances that in these early stages, both consoles appear on par with each other in the performance department. But there are other hardware differences you might consider. The PlayStation 4, for example, has a user replaceable hard drive and if that is important to you, it may factor in on your final decision.Hardware Specs.Advertisement
- 3The PlayStation 3 had something over the Xbox 360 in the way that playing online was absolutely free whereas Microsoft charged you a subscription to use their service. With the upcoming generation, that advantage has been somewhat lost as now both companies will be charging a fee for their premium online services. Sony has still managed to keep a small advantage though as their service will cost about $10 less per year than Microsoft.Online Gaming.
- 4Motion Control and More.
- 5Most games that you play today are cross platform games, meaning that they are available on most major consoles and as a PC version. What this means is that as far as consoles go, the experience is often identical between the two. But when it comes to exclusives, you're only going to have the option to play that game on one platform. Make sure that your favorite titles are available on the console you end up buying. If you're a fan of Xbox exclusive Halo, then you're probably not going to justify choosing the PlayStation, just as if you're planning to invest a lot of time in the best selling driving SIM Gran Turismo, then you would need Sony's console for that exclusive title. Find out which console is going to give you the most of what you want to help you in your final decision. Click here for a list of all launch titles including exclusives and cross platform.Exclusive Games.
- 6The PlayStation 4 will launch this November in North America at a price of $399. The Xbox One will launch in the same time frame for $499. The numbers don't tell the full story though. If you want the additional camera for the PlayStation, you will have to buy it as a separate accessory. The Xbox, however, has Kinect bundled with the console. After all, it is mandatory. With this in mind it brings these two consoles a little closer to price parity and leaves the decision mostly down to which features appeal to you more and which exclusive games you decide are more akin to your tastes.Price.
Reason why pick PlayStation 4
Here are the things why you need to consider buying PlayStation 4 for your Kids, Brother, Husband or for your sister.
- 1This lets you save more, gives you an opportunity to get an extra controller and another game for that extra $100 where as having a PlayStation camera is only optional.A $100 cheaper than Microsoft's Xbox One.Advertisement
- 2The PlayStation 4 Dualshock 4 is the evolution of your handheld controller that lets you use Gyro and touch pad at the same time.Comfortable gamepad.
- 3The PlayStation 4 lets you share game play videos and share your live game play to your PlayStation network friends or even from social networking sites like Facebook or Twitter.Sharing and live streaming.
- 4PlayStation 4 has a native resolution of 1080P/I compared to Xbox One that has an output of 720P/I.Graphics wise.
- 5PlayStation has a lot of exclusive games that are coming and free games per month. Once you are a PlayStation plus member. You have access to Storage cloud, free games to all platforms month. Sony provides up to 8 free games monthly.Exclusive games.
- 6Soon, All of your platforms will have support to all games that can be played wherever you are. Sony recently purchased Gaikai and Gaikai provides variety of games from it's archive that you can rent or purchase to enjoy first generation games up to the present.Cloud gaming.
- 7You can have either PSvita TV or PSvita handheld to play remotely. Like if you want to watch sports and your brother or sisters wants to play games, you can simply do remote play to play it in your other room neither via PSvita TV nor on your PSvita handheld.Remote play.
Why choose Xbox One over PlayStation 4
Here are the reasons why you need to purchase an Xbox one over PlayStation 4.
- 1Kinect has been successful upon launch from Xbox360, which offers controller free to navigate in the system utility and play some games that is kinect compatible.Kinect.Advertisement
- 2Xbox One controller works pretty well for First person shooters without a doubt.Controller.
- 3Xbox One has its own exclusive games as well and great games at launch and upcoming too. Such as Titan Fall. Other games like Ryse, Forza, Dead Rising and other exclusive games at Launch.Exclusive games.
- 4If you are much of sitting on your couch and eating pop corn while eating pop corn? Xbox One offers connectivity for your instant access of cable channels. Simple integration of the console to your and cable box for access.TV Entertainment.Advertisement
Remember, at the end of the day. It would still be your preference to which system that you are going to purchase for entertainment and for your past time.
Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- If possible, get to a store to try the consoles out before buying one. Seeing one in action and getting a feel for the controller in your hands can be all you need to settle on your choice of console.
- Waiting a while after launch can be a good strategy if you're not 100 percent sure which one to get. By this time the consoles and the games have had time for reviews and public scrutiny, which could help you make the choice.
- Familiarize yourself even further with the products and visit the official websites. PlayStation 4 here and Xbox One here.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Choose Between the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Choose_Between_the_Xbox_One_and_the_PlayStation_4
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Choose Between the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4." VisiHow, visihow.com/Choose_Between_the_Xbox_One_and_the_PlayStation_4 Accessed 24 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Choose Between the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4." Accessed May 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Choose_Between_the_Xbox_One_and_the_PlayStation_4.
Categories : XBOX
Recent edits by: Melsan, Nlangster, Lynn