Choose Artist Recommended Food and Drinks to Soothe a Singing Voice
Edited by Nerissa Avisado, Anonymous, Eng, Lynn and 5 others
Laryngitis due to vocal abuse can cost a singer his or her career. It can mean losing opportunities to become famous and rich, but most of all, it means losing a singing voice that makes a true singer happy. Those who make it in the business have learned to keep their vocal cords robust and healthy through the years.
If you are as passionate about singing, wouldn't you be interested to find out their secrets to sustain a good singing voice? If you have the opportunity to ask them, wouldn't you ask what food and drinks they recommend to soothe a singing voice?
One of a singer's dreaded bugs is laryngitis. It is caused by an inflamed or irritated voice box due to over-singing or singing too high. As the vocal cords get inflamed, the quality of voice changes and the singing process is interrupted. This is most frustrating because it robs the singer of a great performance. Like athletes who care for their bodies, singers do everything to preserve their voices and keep them in good condition. There may be scientific techniques to exercise the vocal cords, but much of the secret to vocal health lies in consuming the right foods and drinks, and many singers would be confident in recommending their tried and tested efficacy.
Healthy Food and Drinks for a Healthy Voice
- 3Veggies and Fruits.
- Vitamin A: Singers should consume at least two servings a day of fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin A. Their diet should include sweet potatoes, carrots, spinach, squash, apricots, and romaine lettuce, which all promote vocal health. The recommended daily allowance for men is 900 micrograms of vitamin A, while women require at least 700 micrograms.
- Vitamin C: Fruits and vegetables, such as oranges, red peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, kiwi, and grapefruit all contain varying quantities of vitamin C. It's more than enough to supply the recommended daily allowance of 90 mg for men and 75 mg for women to help the body form and maintain collagen, which is essential for a healthy voice and lungs.
- Vitamin E: Spinach, avocados and mangoes are delicious sources of vitamin E, which aids the cells in the brain and lungs. The vitamin's daily recommended allowance for men and women, which is 15 mg, can be supplemented by eating nuts and seeds.
- 5Hard Candies.
- 6Unsalted Toasted Bread and Crackers.Advertisement
Tips, Tricks and Warnings
- If you're already taking a multivitamin, there's no need to consume additional supplements of vitamins A or E. An overdose on these vitamins is not healthy because they are not water soluble.
- Minimize your consumption of dairy products, especially before a vocal performance. Dairy products tend to increase mucus production, which can interfere with respiration and lead to frequent throat clearing.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks mainly for their dehydrating effects, but also for aggravating acid reflux. Acids passing through the esophagus to the larynx can lead to laryngopharyngeal reflux, a condition accompanied by chronic cough, sore throat, and other symptoms leading to voice problems.
- Singers should also avoid carbonated beverages due to their tendency to promote acid reflux. Carbonation causes the presence of excessive air in the stomach, making singing difficult.
- Avoid eating citrus fruits like oranges and grapefruits because they can dry out the throat lining.
- Give up chewing gum. It makes you swallow much of the saliva, drying out the throat.
Professional singers rely on their voice to earn a living. They go the extra mile to protect their voices by choosing to consume the right foods and drinks, and avoiding certain foods that are harmful to the vocal cords. If you have a good singing voice and you want to be popular like your singing idols, heed their advice on what food and drinks to choose to soothe your singing voice.
Questions and Answers
What are the food, drink and fruits that a singer should be taking for good and healthy singing?
Wanting to know more about keeping a good voice
Always remember that you have to be moderate in meal. Keep yourself a little hungry after each meal. If you eat meat, then you can have a constant diet of meat that contains little fat: beef, chicken, fish. Other protein-containing food that is good as well is eggs, tofu, and soy. Try brown rice, whole-grain bread, and potato; but never add sauces or spices to them. As the article suggests, fresh vegetables and non-citrus fruits could be a good snack during the day. Whatever you do, always keep your voice safe by eating healthily and drinking water.
What is the best herbal drinking that can make a voice soothing?
Cause I want to maintain a nice quality sounding voice when I sing
In our experience, licorice root tea is the best one you can get. You can prepare a thermos flask with the tea that you can buy in a lot of stores. However, always remember that nothing beats warm water in terms of availability and universality.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Voice Lessons & Tips
Recent edits by: VisiHow, Sandip, Dougie