Check train times and buy fares for the UK (England, Wales and Scotland)
Edited by Timbuktu, Maria, Charmed, Christine dela Cruz
Are you familiar with the train times, schedule and platforms in England, Wales and Scotland? If you are not then this article will help and guide you on how you can track train schedule, what platform, how much will it cost you and also a way for you to order ticket online. With this guide you can already plan your journey ahead.
To check train times and fares for England, Wales and Scotland you have to use the http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
- If you travel a lot you may create an account from the National Rail site or you can just check as a visitor. Although it is best to create an account so you can always sign in and use this in the future.
- To create an account just click on 'Create Account' on the upper left side of the site as shown below:
- Then fill up all the necessary details and click on 'Register Now' button at the end of the registration form.
- Then you can just always sign in whenever you want to purchase or reserve a train ticket.
To check for the train times:
- Type in the train station when you will be coming from and to, then choose the date and time.
- For example, you will be coming from London St Pancras to Luton and you will leave on May 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM.
- If you want to buy a ticket for return as well, just tick on the 'Return' box and then click Go.
- This will then show you the train times and the rate, you can then select which schedule or rate you want to buy or if you are not buying and just checking you can just view from here what are the train times.
- If you have selected the one with returns, the returns schedule will show below when you scroll down on the site of the national rail.
- This is easy to search all you have to do is visit the website. If you are not at home, you can still visit the site while you are currently travelling and or walking using your mobile device, if your mobile has an internet, you may connect to a free wireless internet publicly and or you may also use the internet of your mobile.
Important Things to Remember When Traveling by Train in the UK
- 1If the indicated time is 2:04, the train will really leave at 2:04. If there is something that differentiates the UK from other countries, it is their efficiency and timeliness. Therefore, if you are intending to go to a certain location at a certain time, make sure you check the schedule carefully and be there exactly at that time. If you miss the train, you will have to wait for the next schedule. There's no way that you can catch up the previous train just because it was also late. The estimated times to arrive at a certain location is precise enough that you can base your timeline on that.Their schedule is very precise.Advertisement
- 2The commute system is good enough that you may not need to rent your private car just to be able to go to the different cities. Most maps will also indicate the schedule of trains and buses, so it's rather easy to study the schedule and overall route.As long as you know the train route and schedule, it would be rather easy to go around the UK.Advertisement
- 3Be mindful of the instructions posted around the train, such as how to respect the elderly or how to allocate seats for the disabled and the elderly. You would not want to create a distraction on the train just because you were not aware that certain rules must be followed. Different types of people take the train so it's definitely important that everyone abides by the rules to keep the entire trip smooth and hassle-free.There are policies to follow when taking the train.
- 4If you know for a fact that you will be taking the train a lot during your time in the UK, it will be best to avail of these train cards. It will save you a lot of time from lining up because all you need to do is just scan it through the entrance and you're good to go.There are options to buy cards instead so that you won't have to line up and pay each time you would be using the train.
- 5The most common errors in getting lost is riding the wrong line. Pay attention to the map inside the train so you know exactly where you are heading to.There are different train lines and pay attention to which cab you are riding.Advertisement
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Check Trains Times for UK. (2013). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 29, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Check_Trains_Times_for_UK
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Check Trains Times for UK." VisiHow, visihow.com/Check_Trains_Times_for_UK Accessed 29 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Check Trains Times for UK." Accessed Apr 29, 2017. http://visihow.com/Check_Trains_Times_for_UK.