Change the Text Size on iPhone 5, 5C or 5S Change the Text Size of iPhone 5C vs 5S vs 5
Edited by Geraldin Carniyan, Lynn, Eng, Robbi and 4 others
Method 1: Change the Text Size of iPhone 5C
The iPhone 5c is Apple's newest addition to its mobile products, released on September 20, 2013. It has pretty much the same features as other iPhones but this phone comes with a pre-installed iOS 7 on it. Those of you who are used to iOS 6 may find some of the options on iPhone 5c a bit tricky.
Below, I will show you how to change the text size on the iPhone 5c. I hope this will be helpful to the phone's new users.
- 1 Change the Phone's Text Size in Six Easy Steps
- 2 Tips
- 3 Benefits of Using Larger Text Size
- 4 Disadvantages of Very Large Text Fonts
- 5 Changing the Text Size on iOS 6
- 6 Changing the Text Size on iOS 7
- 7 Tips Tricks & Warnings
- 8 Benefit of Larger Text Size on iPhone 5S
- 9 Using a base iOS system or iOS 5 and iOS 6
- 10 Using iOS 7 system
- 11 Things to Consider When Using Large Fonts on iPhone 5
- 12 Questions and Answers
- 12.1 Icon text size on the phone... I need larger.text?
- 12.2 My iPhone text is too large and I can't access the control to change it?
- 13 Referencing this Article
- 14 Comments
Change the Phone's Text Size in Six Easy Steps
- In iOS 7, all Apple applications support this feature.
Benefits of Using Larger Text Size
- 1It helps to reduce eye strain, especially with prolonged phone use.Most people nowadays are very dependent on their iPhones and it has indeed become a necessity in day to day life, not just in business. Therefore, a good amount of people's time are actually spent in front of a smartphone doing many different things such as email, text messages, even plain and simple reading a book. With this, since there is obviously prolonged use, it is advisable to adjust the text size to a more comfortable size so it does not strain the eyes. Larger fonts are overall easy to see, especially if the user is myopic, so there is not much trouble having to squint just to see the text well.
- 2It helps to avoid confusion because of misread information.The larger the texts are, the less the likelihood of committing mistakes in understanding because the message was read wrongly. This is especially important when important information is being sent over through text message.
- 3It encourages the elderly to continue using smartphones.It is usual among the elderly that eye problems just automatically occur. Therefore, making smartphones easier for them to use through larger fonts will definitely be very encouraging for people at this age group to just continue using it.
Disadvantages of Very Large Text Fonts
- 1It diminishes a bit of privacy.If your text fonts are too big, there is a tendency for people sitting beside you or near you to be able to read your messages. This may be an issue if you are talking about something confidential. In this case, you may want to use those screen protectors which only make the screen visible to you and not to the people sitting near you.
- 2It may require you to scroll down more often.Since the iPhone screen can only accommodate too much, if you use large text fonts, you would have to scroll down and left and right more often than if you are using smaller fonts.
- 3It may lead to some misunderstanding as well, especially when not all of the information is displayed on the screen.There are cases when a message is actually longer, but what you see on the screen is only a part of it. From there, you can make conclusions immediately and these conclusions may not always be positive. Remember that if you are using larger fonts, you would need to scroll further down first to see the entire message before making any conclusions.
- 4It may slow you down as you text.When using larger fonts, your cursor would have to switch lines more often as you type in words. If the version of your iOS is older, this may be an issue as you may take a while before you are able to move to the next line.
- 5It may give you a feeling that you are texting a long message already, even if you are not.If you are particular about counting the number of characters per text message to maximize the allocated characters before it becomes another message, larger fonts may give you the feeling that you are sending quite a long message already. This may involuntarily cause you to shorten your message to maximize the characters even if you still have a lot of space.
Method 2: Change the Text Size of iPhone 5S
Changing the Text Size on iOS 6
- 1Tap on "Settings" on the home screen.Advertisement
- 2Under the Settings menu, tap on "General".
- 3Go to "Accessibility" and tap it.
- 4You will now see the option to turn "Large Text" ON or OFF.
- 5From there, an option for different text sizes will appear.Just tap on which size you want to use, and a check will be on its right side indicating that it is already selected.
Changing the Text Size on iOS 7
You will notice this option is a bit easier in iOS 7. You will see the difference below.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- In iOS 6, increasing the text size will only affect the Calendar, Contact, Mail, Messages, and Notes.
- In iOS 7, all Apple applications support this feature.
- Both iOS have the pinch to zoom feature, which requires use of two fingers, and smart zoom, which zooms out a specific area by double tapping it with three fingers.
Benefit of Larger Text Size on iPhone 5S
- 1There is no need to zoom in to read a text better.You can easily see the information without any difficulty.
- 2This makes reading messages easier, especially when you are in a moving vehicle.One of the most common problems with iPhone is that it becomes difficult to read when you are mobile.
- 3Reading from afar is possible, especially if you are showing a message to another person.You can easily just show the message without the other person having to peek through your phone in detail.
Method 3: Change the Text Size of iPhone 5
The iPhone's graphical user interface is easy to use but not all user can find all the settings he/she wanted. Follow these instructions on how to change your font size when writing an SMS or text messages. Using a base iOS system and using an iOS 7 system
Using a base iOS system or iOS 5 and iOS 6
Using iOS 7 system
Things to Consider When Using Large Fonts on iPhone 5
- 1Privacy.If you are using your phone close to other people, it will be rather easy for them to see your messages if you are using large fonts. This may be a concern if you are typing something rather important and confidential.
- 2Screen size.Larger fonts tend to consume more space on your screen. This then requires that you scroll down more often in order to read the full message.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
Icon text size on the phone... I need larger.text?
Icon text size on the phone... I need larger.text
Unfortunately on your iPhone 5c or other devices there is no way for you to personally customize the text size of your icons on your main menu.
My iPhone text is too large and I can't access the control to change it?
Text size. my iPhone text is too large and I can't access the control to change it
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Every mobile phone is set to a default text size. However, this default text size may not be large enough for people that don't have a perfect vision. The iPhone 5S allows its users to change the text size on their phones, depending on their needs. This article will show you how it is done on both iOS 6 and iOS 7.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Change the Text Size on iPhone 5, 5C or 5S. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 23, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Change_the_Text_Size_on_Iphone_5c
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Change the Text Size on iPhone 5, 5C or 5S." VisiHow, visihow.com/Change_the_Text_Size_on_Iphone_5c Accessed 23 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Change the Text Size on iPhone 5, 5C or 5S." Accessed Mar 23, 2017. http://visihow.com/Change_the_Text_Size_on_Iphone_5c.
Categories : IPhone
Recent edits by: Christine dela Cruz, Maria, Monika