Change the MAC address of your Wireless Adapter Windows 10 vs Previous Windows Versions
Edited by Adrian Penaflor, Charmed, Eng, Lynn and 16 others
Do you want to know how to change the MAC address of your wireless adapter? Well here is how you do it. Just check the steps below for either Windows 10 or an older version of Windows."
Method 1: Windows 10
- 11Your new mac address will be displayed in the command prompt.check out Alex's tutorialDouble check to confirm that your mac address was actually changed by going to the open cmd window, typing "getmac", then clicking enter.
Method 2: Previous Windows Versions
- 1 Video
- 2 Instructions
- 3 Other Tips on How to Change the MAC Address of your Wireless Adapter
- 4 Tips Tricks & Warnings
5 Questions and Answers
- 5.1 How to change mac address atheros wireless adapter?
- 5.2 How do I change the Mac Address in Windows?
- 5.3 Changing my MAC Address on my laptop?
- 5.4 There is no tab for this, please help?
- 5.5 Problem With changing the wireless MAC address?
- 5.6 I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate, when I change MAC address of WiFi device, it says MAC address start from 02. Whenever I have following MAC start from f8:1a:67:08:21?
- 5.7 Change is not taking effect, attempting to change the MAC address of my wireless adapter
- 5.8 There is no network address in the advanced tab of my WiFi adapted,?
- 5.9 Hi, is there any chance to spoof my WLAN adapter to a LAN adapter?
- 5.10 How may I change MAC of hosted network virtual adapter. Reply fast?
- 5.11 How to spoof using Realtek driver?
- 5.12 I can't see the drop down list, it only shows 3 options; Band, Pack coalescing and wake on pattern match?
- 5.13 How do I Change Physical/MAC Address for "Wireless Network Connection" for windows 7?
- 6 Comments
- 1Using your Windows PC, go to the Device Manager under the Control Panel.Advertisement
- 2It should reveal the list of the network devices on your computer.Inside the Device Manager, go to the "Network Adapters".
- 4When you are in the adapter's properties, go to the "Advanced" tab.
- 6Select "Value" on the right side and enter your desired MAC address in the box.
- 8Hit the "OK" button and you're done.
- 9That will show you the current MAC of your network adapter.To check, run the Command Prompt and type "IPCONFIG /ALL" and then hit the "Enter" key.
Atheros Adapter Shows no MAC address
If you go to the above "Computer Management", then to your "Network Adapters", then check the "Properties"
and then check the "Advanced" tab and the "Network Address", you will see it is standard set to "Not Present". That does not mean your Network adapter has no MAC address assigned to it.
To be able to see your network adapter MAC address, you need to follow the steps listed here:
Other Tips on How to Change the MAC Address of your Wireless Adapter
MAC stands for Media Access Control Address. This is also referred to as Hardware Address, Physical Address, Adapter Address and Ethernet Address. To clarify, this MAC has nothing to do with the computers of Apple Macintosh. Primarily, this address is the identification number of the hardware, which is being utilized in order to determine every device that is on the network.
The MAC address is figured in terms of hexadecimal notation, specifically in these formats: In a 48-bit form of address, the format is 01-23-45-67-89-AB, and in a 64-bit form of address, the format is 01-23-45-67-89-AB-CD-EF. There are some instances when colons are utilized instead of using dashes.
Media Control Addresses
Media Access Control addresses are typically considered permanent. However, there are cases where they could be modified. Primarily, there are two kinds of Media Access Control addresses.
- 1This MAC address is the one that is commonly utilized. This is the one that is being designated to the network adapter once it has been created. The initial three octets pertain to the manufacturer, whereas the second three octets differ, and ascertain every adapter. All of those that manufacture network adapters possess a code referred to as OUI, or Organizationally Unique Identifier. For instance, Belkin's OUI is 00-30-BD. A majority of big creators of networking equipment possess several OUIs.UAA, or Universally Administered Address.
- 2This is the address that could modify the MAC address of the adapter. The LAA is a kind of administered Media Access Control Address, thus, the LAA of a certain network adapter could be modified to any address, as long as it meets the allowed length. Once the LAA is in place, the network adapter utilizes it as its Media Access Control address.LAA or Locally Administered Address.
Instructions for Changing the Wireless Adapter's MAC Address
- 1Using a Windows PC, click on "Device Manager", which can be found under the Control Panel.
- 2It should then render a list of the computer's network devices.Once you reach the Device Manager, click on "Network Adapters".
- 3If the user has a Qualcomm Atheros AR946 Wireless Network Adapter, double click it in order for the properties of the adapter to be revealed.Look for the wireless network adapter that has been installed on the system.
- 4Upon reaching the properties of the adapter, hit the "Advanced" option.
- 5Under the Property tab, highlight the "Network Address" option.
- 6Choose "Value", which can be found on the right side, and then you can enter your preferred Media Access Control address in the box.
- 7In the case of the MAC address example, it will be typed as 0026F92847E8".For instance, the preferred MAC address is 00-26-F9-28-47-E8; you should type this in the box, excluding the dashes.
- 8Choose "OK", and the modification process of the wireless adapter's MAC address is already done.
- 9Hit the Enter button.In order to check, open the Command Prompt, and then type in "IPCONFIG /ALL".
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- The steps are also similar if you want to change the MAC address of your Ethernet Adapter. You just have to select the name of the Ethernet adapter under Network Adapters and then go to its properties.
- You can do this using Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8.
Questions and Answers
How to change mac address atheros wireless adapter?
To be able to change the MAC address of your wireless adapter simply follow these steps.
First take a look at your MAC ADDRESS, go to start menu and type in the search box "cmd" or simply press "Windows key + r" then on run type in cmd. On the cmd window type "ipconfig/all" and hit enter. You will now then see the list of all your IP and the mac address of your wireless adapter.
Then to change the mac address, go to desktop and point the mouse in "Computer" then right click and choose "Manage" and look for device manager. Another way is go to control panel, click "hardware and sound" and under the Devices and Printers look for "Device Manager".
Now on device manager, click "Network and Adapters". It should expand. Then choose your wireless adapter right click on it and choose properties. In properties, window go to Advanced tab and look for the Network address and choose value instead of Not present then type in your desired Mac Address in the box and hit OK.
How do I change the Mac Address in Windows?
I see a lot of instructions on how to do this, but all of them show an "Ethernet Connection". I don't have an Ethernet Connection. I only see the Local Connection (which is not connected) and the wireless connection that I am connected to. Should I change the wireless adapter settings?
Ethernet is the name of the cable which you would connect your PC to your router. This would be the local connection you are seeing.
Changing my MAC Address on my laptop?
Hi! My ultimate goal is to clone the wireless MAC address on my TV, using my laptop, in order to get my TV to pick up a WiFi hotspot.
Just follow the instructions in the VisiHow article on this page. Some smart TV's do not allow the cloning of an IP address no matter what you try. This is a security measure they have built-in so that the TV can't be remotely hacked. Especially those with built-in front cameras.
There is no tab for this, please help?
The network address tab is missing
It can be found in the Advanced Tab towards the bottom.
Problem With changing the wireless MAC address?
I can't change my wireless MAC address
You can't change the MAC on an active network connection. Turn off the WiFi and connect using an ethernet cable. Then initiate the process again. This time you should be able to change the MAC with no interference.
I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate, when I change MAC address of WiFi device, it says MAC address start from 02. Whenever I have following MAC start from f8:1a:67:08:21?
I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate, when I change MAC address of WiFi device, it says MAC address start from 02. Whenever I have following MAC start from f8:1a:67:08:21. What should I do?
Use the Windows 7 MAC Address Change Tool. This will spoof correctly for you. Some Windows 7 users need to use this if they can't find an 02 address. You should also be signed in as the Windows Administrator for that PC.
Change is not taking effect, attempting to change the MAC address of my wireless adapter
Attempting to change the MAC address of my wireless adapter, but the change will not take place.
Does the MAC address start with 02? Usually when the change will not save it is because the address is in use or does not start with 02. Microsoft flags other strings and will not save the change. Your router also may not be built for allowing the change of the MAC address.
There is no network address in the advanced tab of my WiFi adapted,?
There is no network address in the advanced tab of my WiFi adapter, these are only listed in the advanced tab of my WiFi adapter Ralink rt3290, ad hoc support 802.11n, multimedia/gaming environment, radio on/off, roaming sensitivity. When it try to connect to any WiFi it says; "can't connect to this network'
Run the Wireless Networks Connections Troubleshooter on your PC. You are disconnected to the internet and this is why nothing is showing up for network addresses.
Hi, is there any chance to spoof my WLAN adapter to a LAN adapter?
Is there any chance to spoof my WLAN adapter to a LAN adapter?
This is all done within your Windows Operating System. The change may not save though if you are trying to connect to several devices from the LAN connection.
How may I change MAC of hosted network virtual adapter. Reply fast?
My laptop have same WiFi MAC address of 1. Broadcom WiFi adapter and 2. hosted network virtual adapter. I want to change MAC of hosted network virtual adapter. Reply fast
- 1Enable the internet sharing connection on your laptop in Windows.
- 2Find the hosted network access within the network sharing properties tab.
- 3Put 184.108.40.206 to assign the DNS server.Go to the ipv4 and DNS server settings to apply changes.
- 4You can now change the MAC address for the virtual network.
How to spoof using Realtek driver?
I am using Realtek wireless driver but there is no option for the network address in the advanced section, how to solve it? I have tried: Tried to change the network address in the wireless driver, but there is no option for it, and even tried spoofing through Regedit. I think it was caused by: Do not know about it
Update your Windows OS. This was a bug with the Realtek drivers and adapters. You can also try updating your Realtek to see if the option appears for you to change the MAC address within Windows.
I can't see the drop down list, it only shows 3 options; Band, Pack coalescing and wake on pattern match?
I can't see the drop down list, it only shows 3 options; Band, Pack coalescing and wake on the pattern match. The value is only auto or 2.5 GHz and 5hz. The adapter shown here is Qualcomm but mine is marvell avatar wireless AC network adaptor
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
How do I Change Physical/MAC Address for "Wireless Network Connection" for windows 7?
I've tried the tutorial that you give on your site, but it won't work because my network adapter when I go to the properties, does not have a Network Address option under the Advanced tab.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Categories : Networking
Recent edits by: Maria, Dip, Nuance