Change an Air Filter
Edited by Debbie, Timbuktu, Eng, Maria Sharon Ubando and 3 others
Generally speaking, air filters of your car should be replaced when it reaches its 15,000 miles. When the filter gets clogged, the efficiency of the car goes down. It can also actually increase your gas mileage by 7 percent. If you live in a place where it is very polluted or when you often drive on dusty roads, changing your air filter every 6,000 miles is recommended.
The air filter cleans the air passing through your engine, into your car. Cleaning the air helps your vehicle perform better, by trapping dust and debris that can build up and slow the vehicle's performance.
You can ask someone to change your air filter, but you can do it by yourself. This can also save you some money.
Purposes of Air Filter in Cars
The main purpose of an air filter in cars is to clean the air before it gets into the engine during combustion. To prevent possible damage in the engine, the air that gets into the engine should be clean. This makes the air filter your car's first line of defense against clogging and damages.
Things you will need to get started
- 1A clean ragAdvertisement
- 2flat-head screwdriver (if needed, to pop off the cover on metal clips if stuck)Advertisement
- 3Air filter
- 4Car manual
- 1Make sure you consult your car manual to find the proper air filter for your car.Advertisement
- 2You need to find what looks like a round black pan, or on other cars that are fuel-injected, it could look like a black rectangular box, off to the side.To locate your old air filter, open the hood.
- 3Unscrew the top of the air filter, and lift out the filter, which should be made of paper or plastic.
- 4Use your rag to clean out debris such as leaves, or bugs, you might find around where the air filter was.
- 5Put your new air filter in where you took the other one out.
- 6Put your cover back on, and screw back on the nuts.
When to Change Your Car Air Filter
If you notice a sudden decrease in your gas mileage, your air filter may already be dirty and need to be changed. Another symptom that indicates a change is needed is when the performance of your car goes down. Clogged and malfunctioning filters generates lesser air for combustion and therefore performance is decreased as well. You may also notice a strange noise created by the car when it idles, like a cough or sputtering sound.
Advantages of Clean Air Filter
- 1Although most cars nowadays are built to be able to resist tough conditions, it is still not good if your engine is exposed to too much dirt and dust all the time. In the long run, it will damage your engine and it will be more expensive to have it repaired than do regular air filter cleaning.It protects your engine.
- 2If there is too much dust and dirt on the engine, it will tend to work harder and therefore, end up consuming more fuel. In the long run, this will be rather costly, especially if you accumulate the extra expense that you put in each time you refuel.It avoids higher fuel consumption.
- 3Not only will dirt and dust infiltrate your engine, it can also affect the air that you breathe inside your car. No one wants to inhale dirty air all the time. This is especially the case if you are using the car most of the time or usually travel far distances. It won't be healthy for you if there are dust and dirt continuously. Eventually, that may weaken your immune system and lead to other diseases.It makes the air within your car cleaner.
- 4In most cases, if your air filter is not clean anymore, it won't be able to screen well the bad smell. You can easily smell sewerage or even garbage that you pass by. This can be very bothering and at the same time, it may cause headaches, especially if the smell is very strong.It is able to filter the smell coming from outside.Advertisement
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Automotive
Recent edits by: Christine dela Cruz, Lynn, Maria Sharon Ubando