Change a root password of a Linux/Unix OS/Server Via SSH
Edited by Mark Joel Cristobal, Charmed
Firewall protection from intruder is important but in very common way of giving some protection with a certain software in Linux is the Root/user password access in which this is very important and essential to limit the intruder in access)
- 1The first Step is to login to the server and run the terminal or if you are using a Windows OS all you need to do is to use the Putty that will act as a terminal and connect with the SSH port which is 22Advertisement
- 2if you want to change the password of a root user also then type "passwd username" without the double quotation the user pertains to the username.after you log on the server's SSH(shell) then type the bash/unix command "passwd" without the double quotation then enter and it will prompt you to enter a complex password, meaning with a combination of alpha numeric key and you're done.Advertisement
- 3To test if it works then close the terminal then relogin again with the password that you used to changed.Advertisement
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Be sure that you that you will be able to remember the password the newly password that you used.
- write it manually to a piece of paper just in case that you are not familiar with the password.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Change a root password of a Linux/Unix OS/Server Via SSH. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 27, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Change_a_root_password_of_a_Linux/Unix_OS/Server_Via_SSH
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Change a root password of a Linux/Unix OS/Server Via SSH." VisiHow, visihow.com/Change_a_root_password_of_a_Linux/Unix_OS/Server_Via_SSH Accessed 27 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Change a root password of a Linux/Unix OS/Server Via SSH." Accessed May 27, 2017. http://visihow.com/Change_a_root_password_of_a_Linux/Unix_OS/Server_Via_SSH.
Categories : Linux
Recent edits by: Mark Joel Cristobal