Change Light Bar Brightness On PS4 DualShock 4 Controller
Edited by VisiHow, MsBarbs, Eng
The light bar on the Sony DualShock 4 controller is a tracking light, which lets the console track the player's movements. However, because many players want to turn the DualShock VR light off to save the battery life, Sony has enabled a feature in its latest OS update to let players change the brightness of the light bar.
Read on for steps and images on how to do this, and for additional information on what your PlayStation 4 controller can do.
Change the Brightness of the Light Bar on PS4 Controller
In the latest PS4 software update, a new option has been added that lets players choose the brightness of their DualShock controller light bar.
- 1On your PS4 home screen, press and hold the 'PS' button on your controller.This is the light opal colored button in the center of your controller.Advertisement
- 2You should now see a list of options.This is where you will find the setting to adjust the brightness of your light bar.Advertisement
- 3Select the 'Adjust devices' option.Use the controller to select the option.
- 4Highlight the 'Brightness of DualShock 4 Light Bar' using the stick to move up and down.Then select the option by pressing 'X'.
- 5You can now control the brightness of your controller light bar.It can be set to high or low, depending on your personal preferences.
Other Useful Features of the Light Bar
There is a lot more you can do with the light bar on your PS4 controller.
In the past, Sony announced that they were working on a virtual reality project named Morpheus. This project influenced many aspects of the PS4 console, including the controller light bar. Even though many players don't know about these features, the tracking light can and does add some new experiences into your gaming.
- 1In some games if you are in a battle or in another dangerous part of a game and you're taking damage, the light bar will turn to red.This indicates that you're being hurt, and is a helpful indication that you need to quickly move out of the danger area.Advertisement
- 2The light bar can also be useful for identifying each player's controller.The blue color always indicates the first player controller, while the red color identifies the second player's controller, with green showing the third player, and pink indicating the fourth player.
- 3Another useful feature of the light bar can be seen when using your PS4 keyboard or browsing the Internet.To do this, press the 'R3' button on your controller when you want to type, and you'll see that you can move the mouse by moving the DualShock controller.Advertisement
Video for Changing the DualShock 4 Light Bar Brightness
Watch the video below to learn how to change the brightness of the light bar on your PS4 DualShock 4 controller.
Additional Tips and Suggestions
- Always make sure your controller battery is fully charged.
- Make sure there are no interferences from unshielded electrical devices. These can produce fields that will disrupt controller activity.
- Remember that there is a lot you can do with your controller in many games that you couldn't do in older games on the PS3.
Warnings on PS4 DualShock 4 Controllers
- Setting the Light Bar too high can lower the batter life of your controller. This can negatively impact responsiveness and cause problems with game play.
- If you are too far away from your PS4 console, your battery can drain more quickly.
- Make sure you don't leave the controller out of range with the power save feature disabled, as this can deplete the battery.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Gaming Hardware
Recent edits by: MsBarbs, VisiHow