Change a Harsh Voice Into a Sweet Soft Singing Voice
Edited by Jonathan, Eng, Doug Collins, Ephraim and 16 others
Although not the only method of communication available, the human voice is one of the most expressive and most important ways that people communicate ideas and feelings with each other. Voices come in a variety of different sounds, each with its own pitch, cadence, and tone. For example, some voices are soft and tender, while others are hoarse and gritty. These variances in the timbre of a voice make each person unique, but they can also create some preconceived ideas about a person's character and their intention when speaking.
For example, many people associate a naturally harsh voice with that person having a gruff attitude. While many people appreciate this coarser sound, many others would prefer a smoother and sweeter tone, especially those who are singers. Luckily, it is not impossible to transform a hoarse singing voice into a soft and sweet one. These are just a few tips to make this change happen:
- 1 Keep the Body Healthy
- 2 Train Your Voice To Sing Soft and Sweetly
- 3 Try Herbal Remedies
- 4 Investigate Surgical Options
- 5 Why does your voice sometimes crack when you sing? How do you deal with this?
- 6 Ways Toward a More Pleasant Voice Through Voice Modulation
- 7 Practicing your Vocal Tone Control
- 8 Improving the Quality of your Voice
- 8.1 Listen to your Favorite Singer or Singers
- 8.2 Comparing Live Music and Music Videos
- 8.3 Sing a Song
- 8.4 Water, Water, and More Water
- 8.5 Consider to Spending Some Money
- 8.6 Warming up Before Singing
- 8.7 Sitting and Standing
- 8.8 Articulating Tongue Twisters
- 8.9 Achieving a Richer Tone
- 8.10 Lung Capacity
- 9 Questions and Answers
- 9.1 Is it possible to change rough voice into sweet voice by diet or by a doctor?
- 9.2 How can I communicate with a sweet and soft voice?
- 9.3 How to Change a Harsh Voice to a Soft Sweet Voice?
- 9.4 Can you state the causes of a harsh singing voice
- 9.5 Can you state the natural ways to fix a harsh singing voice
- 9.6 How to change hoarse voice to a pleasant voice?
- 9.7 Hard rough voice to smooth voice?
- 9.8 I used to sing well while I was in school, but lack of practice makes it harsh?
- 9.9 My voice is so harsh and it becomes even worse if I talk over the phone. Is there any way to have a solution for this kind of problem? would be much pleasure if I hear from you.
- 9.10 When words come out from my mouth it doesn't have clarity?
- 9.11 When I give lecture, my tongue feels heavy?
- 9.12 Throat infection and dry cough, not sleeping at night?
- 9.13 I don't know that how to speak with a guy in a nice and impressive manner?
- 9.14 How can I determine my vocal range?
- 9.15 I am yet to ask my question because I have not read the articles will ask after I do?
- 10 Comments
Keep the Body Healthy
You cannot abuse your body and expect your voice to be sweet. Those who want to transform their hoarse voices into something softer and sweeter should also consider taking these steps towards a healthier lifestyle:
Following these basic instructions will not only give a person a healthier lifestyle overall, but it will also serve as a platform to proceed to other methods of altering their voice.
Train Your Voice To Sing Soft and Sweetly
Once there is a plan in place for keeping the body as healthy as possible, you can focus on the voice itself. All voices used for singing should be properly exercised on a regular basis. Practicing vocal exercises is especially important for those wishing to transform their harsh tone to something softer.
To get the most out of the vocal exercises, try these helpful tips:
- 2Breathe deeply from the diaphragm, not just the chest.
- 3Begin each practice session by gently massaging the jaws and tongue base.
- 4Keep the tongue near the front of the mouth to avoid nasal tones.
- 5Vibrate the lips a few times while simultaneously varying the pitch.
- 6Hum the scales using a single breath for each up and down.
- 7Practice Imitating owl hoots for a minute or two.
- 8Now sing softly concentrating on shaping your tone as desired.
Get into a pattern that can be repeated with each vocal exercise session. After doing the same methods over several sessions, it will become more like second nature to stand with the correct posture and to hold your mouth correctly. These preferred singing mannerisms will lead to a more pleasant vocal tone.
Try Herbal Remedies
Many singers swear by the use of herbal remedies to soften and improve the sound of their voices. With typical ingredients that include ginger, fennel and marshmallow root, these herbal options provide a variety of benefits to the throat and vocal chords:
- 1Ease congestion.Advertisement
- 2Eliminate coughs that damage the voice.
- 3Soothe a sore or scratchy throat.
Most of these herbal options are available as powders and other ingestible options, but drinking them offers the most benefit to the voice. By gargling with these liquids or by drinking them as teas, the throat is thoroughly coated, and the soothing or healing properties can take over.
- Note that you should consult your physician before you try any herbal remedy for the first time.
Investigate Surgical Options
As with any major medical procedure, surgery to correct the voice should be treated as a last resort. However, when there are vocal nodules or vocal fold polyps are to blame, it may become necessary for medical intervention.
- 1There is always risk involved. In addition to the standard surgical complications, there is the possibility that the vocal chords will experience trauma during the procedure. This could mean that they will not be able to heal properly, and the voice sound and range may be compromised, defeating the purpose of the surgery. This is why singers are hesitant to have any surgery done on their throats. Talk with your surgeon about success rates and risks before undergoing surgical removal of vocal cord nodules.Nodules and polyps can be surgically removed under general anesthesia.
- 2It involves either the surgeon injecting collagen into the vocal chords to make them fuller or inserting an implant that brings the folds closer together. However, this is a new and risky surgery with an unknown success rate.A new surgical technique, called the voice lift, can improve the tone and quality of your singing voice.
Surgery might be a realistic option to transform a harsh singing voice into one with a soft and sweet tone, but be sure to discuss your purpose and possible complications with your surgeon.
Why does your voice sometimes crack when you sing? How do you deal with this?
- One reason your voice may be cracking is because you haven't done enough warm ups before singing. Instantaneous singing is bad for your vocal chords. You need to loosen up. Practicing vocal warm ups will allow your vocal chords to relax. Think of it as a runner, who stretches thereby lubricating his joints, before any serious running.
- Drink a glass of room-temperature water first. Or hot tea with honey - whatever helps warm or moisten your throat. Then, during the warm up, do easy voice exercises first, building up to more complicated voice exercises after several minutes.
- Still in the warm up stage, sing an easy song first, well within your voice range. By this time, your vocal chords would have flexed a bit and you are ready for a more complicated song with high notes.
- Never scream or yell while in warm up. This puts, even more, a strain on your voice, and you might end up with a hoarse voice.
- Be hydrated while singing. But never with milk or soda. They coat your throat in such a way that your voice will not be able to sustain proficiency, and thus, the tendency to have your voice crack is possible.
- If you are young, as a male, do not be too surprised if, in 6th grade, you could sing higher notes than the girls. But in high school, you sing in the baritone and the bass vocal range. Your voice will keep changing. Don't panic. Flow with the changes in your voice, and practice accordingly and do the necessary warm ups to take care of your voice!
Ways Toward a More Pleasant Voice Through Voice Modulation
- 1In public speaking, it is best to lower your voice to make it sound better. If your voice has a naturally high treble, avoid making shrill or shrieking sounds that might trigger surprise in your audience. Slow down with what you are saying and relax. Pause between sentences or phrases, for emphasis, and to control the pace of your speech better.Voice modulation is important.
- 2Enunciate each word clearly, with the proper pauses every time they are needed for emphasis. Practice in front of the mirror. Literally, speak each word with your mouth doing exaggerated motions because this exercise will make each word really clear.The length and extent of the topics you will be talking about are essential.
- 3You can use yoga voice exercises to enhance voice modulation. Repeat Sa Re Ga Ma several times. It might take weeks to see results.Yoga is all about connecting with yourself and nature around you.
Practicing your Vocal Tone Control
Are you having problems with public speaking? Here are some tips for you to improve your voice quality that will influence people that are listening to you give a speech, or sing. A good voice emits a sound that people will enjoy listening to.
- 1Simply take a deep breath and while you exhale slowly, count from 1 to 12 or state the 12 months or the seven days of the week. Make sure that you are increasing your count and not stopping at 12 counts. It might be easier to start at 5 counts and work your way up to 12 counts. Use your abdominal muscles and not your throat to project the sounds, and avoid tensing your larynx.Practice Breath Control.
- 2You can practice often, while you are speaking in every-day conversation by controlling your exhalations. Whenever you speak, you can punctuate your point upon breaths. You can pause to take a breath whenever you're at the end of a phrase. This allows the people listening to you to absorb and understand every word of your speech. Take notice of news anchors and politicians giving speeches, as they also follow this practice.Practice Breathing from Diaphragm.
- 3You can simply record your voice to your computer, a recorder or phone. Buy a mic specifically for recording on a computer for this purpose, so you can clearly hear the tonal quality of your voice. You can alter the tone of your voice to hear which is better than the other. This way, you can know which voice you want to work on to, to practice - to master. Work on different tones from low pitch to high pitch voice.Practice Tone Control by Recording and listening.
- 4If you wanted to make sure your listeners stay listening to you, practice modulating your pitch to give emphasis to what you are saying. A low-pitched sound is much more soothing to the ear than a high shrill sound. To develop this technique, keep practicing by humming in a low register.Pitch Sound.
- 5Standing straight allows for full lung air capacity to deliver sound.Stand straight.
- 6Check if you are a person who speaks too soft or too loud. If you are going to deliver speech, you can simply say to your audience something like "Good day or Good evening everyone, Is my voice fine for all of you?", anything that your audience can respond to your simple question. Maintain the sound of your voice throughout your speech.Moderating your Voice Volume and Check.
Simple Warm-Up Before Starting your Day
It is best that you practice your speech 2 or 3 days before you deliver it. This way, you can correct errors and you will know where to pause in your speech. Check sentence by sentence to become familiar with your speech, and know where you have to emphasize a point.
Simply practice tongue twisters and exaggerating vowels in order to reduce mumbling. You need to focus on the words or phrases you are having problems with or finding difficult to master. This can help you to avoid mispronunciations upon deliberation of your speech. This is applicable each time you wake up in the morning. Relax your body by doing simple exercises. One such exercise; look to your left. Look to your right, now roll your head gently 360 degrees from left to right, and then vise versa. Stretch your fingers then toes, left first, then right " repeat. Roll your upper body from left to right while keeping your lower body flat to the bed. This relaxes your body, and opens up the area around your lungs, making for better airflow.
Moderating your Pace
This is related to breathing. If you speak too fast, people cannot follow and understand you, and if you speak too slowly, people will lose interest. Get your recorder and practice your speech and replay the recorded voice and listen. Decide what you want to change, whether it's the pace of your speech, the tone of your voice, or your inflections. You can also invite family members or friends and ask for their feedback.
Improving the Quality of your Voice
Perhaps you already have a good voice, or perhaps you simply want to improve your voice. Here are some tips on how you can improve your voice. This is a do it yourself method with easy to follow instructions to improve your voice quality.
Listen to your Favorite Singer or Singers
It is best that you watch them in a music video. Watch their performance. Watch their lips closely to see how they move. Notice the way they handle their breathing, resonance, articulation, volume, and control. Learn from the best.
Comparing Live Music and Music Videos
After you have watched their music videos, it is time for you to look for an acoustic music video of your favorite singer. Acoustic is a song sung with instruments that are not electric. Remember that official music videos differ from acoustic performances. In music videos, they are just lip-syncing and smiling through their song. Their original voice has been polished, and sometimes tuned in the studio, and they may sound different during an acoustic performance.
Sing a Song
Now that you have listened to your favorite singer, it is your time to shine, even if it's just in your bedroom. After you have closely listened to the way they sing and, their technique, apply it to the same song that they sang, and compare it to your original version. It is best that you do this at least 15 minutes a day or 3 times a week. Do not sing a song that does not suit the tone of your voice, or is in a difficult key. Remember that not all singers have the capability to sing a song in every genre.
Water, Water, and More Water
To improve your voice, avoid drinking milk, alcohol, caffeinated drink, soft drinks or any drinks that make your throat feel scratchy. Some drinks may cause an allergic reaction, so make a note when this happens so you can avoid them in the future. It's very important that you get enough fluids, preferably water, to keep your vocal cords hydrated. It is best that you drink water to take care of your voice, not cold or hot. Always bring a bottle of water wherever you go in case you get thirsty. Control yourself and do not get tempted to drink things that harm your voice.
Consider to Spending Some Money
You might want to consider getting yourself a professional vocal coach to get feedback from her/him. A good teacher can give you both good feedback, and suggestions for improvement. If you do not want to spend extra money for this, or it's not in your budget, do it yourself. Search videos on YouTube, Dailymotion or to any streaming websites. Do not forget the basic tips and suggestions to improve your voice.
Warming up Before Singing
Before you start singing. You need to do some warm-ups first. Even simply chanting La la La or Mi Me Mi Oh Uh Oh sounds will avoid your voice from getting stressed.
Sitting and Standing
Whether you decide to sit, or you are standing, make sure your back is straight. Line your head to your neck (Not like an ostrich by moving your head forward); you can practice this by simply leaning against a wall. This is a good practice to improve your voice and to open your airway.
Articulating Tongue Twisters
Articulating tongue twisters can help you pronounce words properly, especially if you are weak with TH, S and any others. If you do not want your words to be slurred, then this is good training for you. Also, practice exaggerated lip movements by doing an Ah, Eh, Ih, Oh, Oo. This exercise relaxes your lips, which in turn, enhances your speech.
Achieving a Richer Tone
Swallow all the saliva in your mouth, as your voice will be clearer, and there is a tendency to sing flat if there's too much saliva in your mouth. Relax your throat by moving your tongue forward, not sticking it out but touching the back of your lower teeth to make the throat relax when you are singing.
It is best that you learn how to take in more air to give you long-lasting good tone. Do a simple exercise like soaking your body up to your neck in the bath, and singing four entire songs. This will not just help your lungs increase their air capacity, but it also affects the tone of your voice when talking or singing. A lot of professional singers do this when they are young and continue as they age, as it helps them to keep their voice in good shape.
Questions and Answers
Is it possible to change rough voice into sweet voice by diet or by a doctor?
Yes, doctors have the ability to alter the vocal chords (from male ones to a female). It will cost you some money, but it will not give you a great voice when it comes to singing. Great singing takes practice and a lot of effort to attain. Seek a vocal coach for training.
See more questions like this: I was just wondering how can I make my voice sound better
How can I communicate with a sweet and soft voice?
If you wish to talk to others (communicate) using a sweet and soft voice, you will have to do the following:
- Practice talking calmly.
- Tone it down (as if soothing a little baby).
- Smile while you talk.
- Practice makes perfect.
The same applies if you want to sing in a sweet and soft voice but:
- Do not smoke.
- Do not drink cold beverages before performances.
- Do not over-practice or strain your voice.
- Get adequate sleep.
See more questions like this: Does trying to build up my body affect my soft voice and will speaking in a girl tone of voice enable me to do high notes like the vocals of angry theocracy avantasia etc., please help me out, thank you sir
How to Change a Harsh Voice to a Soft Sweet Voice?
I am a 17 year old girl and I have a harsh boyish type voice but now I want to make my voice softer and sweeter
Your voice has changed as you have grown older, making your voice sound older than usual, which is part of puberty. There is no natural way for you to be able to make your voice sound sweeter without getting surgery.
You need to work on softening your voice. There are many things you can do to help this process, but you'll probably want to read our article on how to get rid of vocal cord nodules first. The problems you're describing are indicative of possible vocal cord damage, and are something you should either look into medically, or try to work on yourself.
There are also a number of other remedies and suggestions in this Q&A for both things you should do, and things you should not. That said, we do have a few special tips specific to your problem that will help you:
- 1If you talk loud, you'll strain your voice. The more you strain your voice, the worse it will be. If you talk too much, you will strain your voice more, and worsen the problems.Don't speak too much, or too loudly.
- 2They are all bad for your voice, and will contribute to deepening the sound of your voice, and keep you from having that sweet voice you're working on.Avoid any sodas.
- 3If you smoke, you should consider trying to quit smoking as soon as possible. Cigarettes will destroy your voice.Absolutely do not smoke cigarettes.
- 4Eating candy and sugary foods will increase the mucus in your throat, which can make your voice more gravelly and harsh.Don't eat too much candy or starchy foods.
- 5Water is the best thing you can do for your voice, and your body. Drink lots of water, but not too cold. Cold water can tighten your vocal cords a bit, and then you can strain them if you're talking too much or too loudly.Drink lots of water.Advertisement
See more questions like this: How to change a hard voice into sweet
See more questions like this: How to improve my soft voice and what are the ways for having a convincing voice?
Can you state the causes of a harsh singing voice
Can you state the causes of a harsh singing voice
One cause of having a harsh singing voice will be from smoking cigarettes, which will cause your voice to sound raspy after a long period of smoking. Also, smoking can cause problems with your lungs, which will limit your ability to sing to your full potential.
See more questions like this: Will you help with ideas to improve my singing
Can you state the natural ways to fix a harsh singing voice
Can you state the natural ways to fix a harsh singing voice
Yes, drinking teas such as Lemon or Honey will help to coat your throat to help smooth out your voice and also will help eliminate phlegm in your throat.
See more questions like this: I'm female but my voice on the phone sometimes mistaken as a male
How to change hoarse voice to a pleasant voice?
The best way to do this is to treat your hoarse throat through rest and by drinking certain juices/teas to help aid your throat. Below are a number of drinks you can enjoy in order to help cure your hoarse throat: 1. Lemon Juice. 2. Orange Juice. 3. Lemon Tea. 4. Honey Tea. 5. Apple Juice.
These juices contain vitamins that can help battle mucus and other obstructions in your throat.
Hard rough voice to smooth voice?
I am a Church preacher, I had a normal singing voice, but in due course of time, my voice began to change as I had to do hard preaching. My voice became rough as a rock, also I drink cold soft drinks and a lot of tea. Could it be the cause? I want my voice back what to do
Beverages at extreme temperatures might explain part of your problem, but more likely, your voice has changed through age and rough use. You'll want to try and avoid stressing your voice at high volumes. Cutting out soft drinks is always a good idea, as sugary drinks are unhealthy in general. You might notice an improvement if you do.
See more questions like this: I want to recite Quran with a nice voice, my voice is not smooth, what can I do?
I used to sing well while I was in school, but lack of practice makes it harsh?
I used to sing well while I was in school, but the lack of practice makes my voice sound very harsh and everywhere ...I am not undertaking any singing classes
Singing is like anything else - it becomes easier to do properly with more training and practice. If you can afford to hire a vocal coach, that's probably the best way to make a marked improvement. Otherwise, you'll want to work on adopting good posture, proper breathing techniques, and avoiding certain substances (dairy, alcohol, cigarettes) that can hamper your singing. And practice!
See more questions like this: My school has a play called Aladdin and I want to take the role of princess Jasmine
My voice is so harsh and it becomes even worse if I talk over the phone. Is there any way to have a solution for this kind of problem? would be much pleasure if I hear from you.
Remedy for voice and to have a soft voice good for singing
Keep your throat lubricated with liquids. Try tea with lemon and a cough drop when you start to notice you are beginning to sound hoarse.
When words come out from my mouth it doesn't have clarity?
I am Indian, it is difficult for me to achieve fluent in my English speaking. I want to be very articulate Practice and repetition are the tools needed for you to achieve better English speaking. Record yourself saying English phrases and play it back to see where you need to improve. Watch English speaking videos and pause to repeat a phrase and then play back the video and watch closely the person's facial movements.
When I give lecture, my tongue feels heavy?
Basically, I am a teacher. My problem is this. I have to deliver many lectures daily. Sometimes I can't pronounce some word quickly, I repeat again and again then I am able to pronounce. this makes me confused. I also feel heaviness under my tongue. I will be thankful if you give advice for a remedy. A heavy tongue is a common sign of anxiety. Remember your tongue is a muscle and can tense up just like shoulders can tense when someone is anxious or stressed. Perform tongue exercises by rolling your tongue around your mouth 3 times. Repeat the process but in reverse. Stick your tongue as far as you can outside of your mouth and hold it straight for 10 seconds. Repeat this in sets of 10.
Throat infection and dry cough, not sleeping at night?
5 months back, I am working in the teaching field. I am drinking fridge water and I had taken oil food outside. My voice is changing harshly. Please give me suggestion on how can I change the voice to sweet
Make a mixture of honey and cinnamon and take a spoonful before bed for as long as the problem persists. Take a hot shower before bed, stand over a simmering pot of water or sleep with a cool mist humidifier close to your bed.
I don't know that how to speak with a guy in a nice and impressive manner?
My voice is not good I want to impress a guy with my voice and talks, give me an idea please
Remain calm. Try not to feel nervous as when people are nervous they tend to speak fast and can seem erratic. Practice what you want to say ahead of time until you feel that you can say it without losing focus.
How can I determine my vocal range?
I want to determine it without using the scales Sing the lowest note you can without your voice cracking or straining your vocal chords. Then sing the lowest note you can hold without having to take a breath right away. Write those notes down if you can. Repeat these steps but sing the highest note you can. Sing the highest note you can loudly. Sing the highest note you can softly. Count the notes between your lowest and highest note. Not including sharps or flats. Every 7 notes count as an octave. The average person has a range of about 1.5 octaves. The more octaves you can sing determines where you fall between a Bass or Mezzo Soprano.
I am yet to ask my question because I have not read the articles will ask after I do?
Have a deep voice would like to make it soft and sweet
Speak directly from your throat and not your chest. Avoid speaking at loud volumes. Concentrate on raising your tone and pitch and practice so that you find a tone you that makes you happy, without having to strain. Work on adding some vibrato or rasp into your voice.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Voice Lessons & Tips
Recent edits by: Nuance, annielynliwanag, lolohonda