Change FAT32 to NTFS in your USB/Hard Drive Storage
Edited by Jeffrey Casel, Melsan, Maria, Eng and 2 others
Converting FAT32 to NTFS can make your data storage larger, and if you are in NTFS form, your storage will become more secure, easy to defragment, and will be able to hold large files (over 4gb). FAT32 are usually used with USB devices, and in some instances, if you are attempting to transfer huge files into your USB device, there will be an error that says "Not enough disk space", even though there is a lot of space available. That's because FAT32 cannot accommodate huge files. So here are instructions to deal with this issue:
- 1Be sure it's in FAT32 format by:On your computer, find the storage/drive that you want to convert.Advertisement
- Right click the drive.
- Go to "Properties".
- Check the to see if the file format is FAT32.
- If it is in NTFS format, there's no need to convert anymore.
- 2Type cmd in the search bar (if you are running Windows 7 /win8/vista) or, go to run, and type cmd. If you are using XP, the command prompt is cmd.Head to your Start button.Advertisement
- 5After the conversion is done, right click the converted drive, go to "Properties", check the File format to see if it's NTFS.Advertisement
Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- Make sure the device is FAT32 first, so the conversion will be a success.
- The above procedure is useful when you have stored data.
- If you don't have data on the storage, or you don't want to keep it, simply right click on the storage icon, and select "Format". From the format panel, select NTFS, as shown in the photo.
Questions and Answers
Unable to format the FAT32 drive?
Hi, I've been trying to format my FAT32 USB drive when I accidentally cleared my drive that was bootable. I was trying to make the drive un-bootable. The format capacity says "Unknown". I changed the FAT32 to NTFS, but it still doesn't format. Thank you very much.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Change FAT32 to NTFS in your USB/Hard Drive Storage. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 30, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Change_FAT32_to_NTFS_in_your_USB/Hard_Drive_Storage
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Change FAT32 to NTFS in your USB/Hard Drive Storage." VisiHow, visihow.com/Change_FAT32_to_NTFS_in_your_USB/Hard_Drive_Storage Accessed 30 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Change FAT32 to NTFS in your USB/Hard Drive Storage." Accessed May 30, 2017. http://visihow.com/Change_FAT32_to_NTFS_in_your_USB/Hard_Drive_Storage.
Categories : Hardware
Recent edits by: Melissa Meyer, Eng, Maria