Can Your Own Food Safely
Edited by Emmanuel M. Lardizabal, Eng, Mian Sheilette Ong, Rebecca M. and 2 others
Canning and preserving is a great way of saving food. It is done not only to save money but to ensure that you are getting wholesome foods with no unwanted additives and preservatives which are often found in commercially canned foods.
You can prepare things like spaghetti sauce where you can do it by preserving it in a jar. Preserving your food is also a great way to take advantage of fruits and vegetable while they are in season. You can preserve fresh peaches during the season and enjoy their fresh taste for the rest of the year.
In the past,preserving foods was a way of life. Today however, not as many people are willing to put forth the time and effort required for canning and preserving the food, as it is time consuming and may require some extra effort.
Equipment Needed For Canning
- Canning jars in the size of your choice.
- Canning lids and rings.
- A large canning pot with a wire rack for processing your canned goods.
- A wide mouth funnel and canning tongs for handling hot jars.
Steps in Canning
- 1This can be done by submerging them in boiling water to kill any bacteria present on the jars. Running them through a dishwasher is also an acceptable way to sterilize the jars. Some dishwashers actually have a sterilize cycle.Clean and sterilize your canning jars.Advertisement
- 2You can also prepare complete recipes for things like jams or spaghetti sauce and get your food ready to be jarred.Prepare the food that you plan to preserve whether it is cutting up fruits and vegetables.Advertisement