Can Your Own Food Safely
Edited by Emmanuel M. Lardizabal, Eng, Mian Sheilette Ong, Rebecca M. and 2 others
Canning and preserving is a great way of saving food. It is done not only to save money but to ensure that you are getting wholesome foods with no unwanted additives and preservatives which are often found in commercially canned foods.
You can prepare things like spaghetti sauce where you can do it by preserving it in a jar. Preserving your food is also a great way to take advantage of fruits and vegetable while they are in season. You can preserve fresh peaches during the season and enjoy their fresh taste for the rest of the year.
In the past,preserving foods was a way of life. Today however, not as many people are willing to put forth the time and effort required for canning and preserving the food, as it is time consuming and may require some extra effort.
Equipment Needed For Canning
- Canning jars in the size of your choice.
- Canning lids and rings.
- A large canning pot with a wire rack for processing your canned goods.
- A wide mouth funnel and canning tongs for handling hot jars.
Steps in Canning
- 1This can be done by submerging them in boiling water to kill any bacteria present on the jars. Running them through a dishwasher is also an acceptable way to sterilize the jars. Some dishwashers actually have a sterilize cycle.Clean and sterilize your canning jars.Advertisement
- 2You can also prepare complete recipes for things like jams or spaghetti sauce and get your food ready to be jarred.Prepare the food that you plan to preserve whether it is cutting up fruits and vegetables.Advertisement
- 3When pouring hot liquid into a jar, be sure to lower temperature of the jar first. This can be done by placing a few inches of very hot water into the jar and allowing it to sit for about 5 minutes to warm the jar. If you put hot food into a cold jar it could shatter and cause serious injuries.Place the foods in the jars and seal them with the lids and rings.
- 4They should be boiled with the required amount of time for the food that you are canning.Put the jars into the wire rack and lower them gently into the pot of water.
- 5Make sure that there are no drafts because cool air hitting the hot jars could also make them shatter.When it is ready, lift the wire rack and jars out of the pot and place them onto a dry towel.
- 6Use the rubber tongs to lift the hot jars onto a safe surface and cover the jars with a towel to keep them away from drafts.
- 7As your jars cool you should hear a very distinctive "pop" as each jar seals.
- 8Before storing your preserved food, gently press down of the center of the cap to make sure that it has been sealed.When the jars are completely cooled they should be stored in a cool place until ready for use.
Examples of canned goods
Canned dill pickles
- 2You also need vinegar in making your canned dill pickles. If you want it to be spicy, add chili peppers (powdered or fresh).Use onion, garlic, pepper, and salt if it is necessary.
- 3Some water is needed in making canned dill pickles.Water.
- 1Wash and dry it thoroughly.Clean the container.
- 2Slice the dill pickles whether horizontally or vertically into piece so that each piece can absorb the spices and have good flavor after several days. After slicing, put the dill pickle inside the dry jar.Wash the dill pickles properly to remove the unwanted dirt.
- 3You can also have the option of keeping the garlic whole. You can also add ginger in flavoring your dill pickles.Chop or mince the garlic and onions.
- 4Add the peppers next. After putting all these spices, pour in the vinegar to about half of the jar. Add a bit of water to fill in the remaining half of the jar.Add in your garlic, onion, and ginger.
- 5Use a clean plastic bag as a means to prevent leaks.Cover the jar.
- 6This can also help you spot any leaks so that you can fix them at the soonest.Shake the jar to mix the ingredients.
- 7If it is still in the fridge after five days, consume it as long as it is still good.Preserve your canned goods for at least 3-5 days then you may consume it.
- 2You need peppers, garlic and onions.Spices.
- 3It is good in preserving foods. It also helps in making the food tastier.Vinegar.
- 4The choice is up to you.Ginger may also be added.
- 5A small amount of water is needed in making your canned cucumber.Water.
- 1You can leave the skin on if you want to. Cucumber peels can also be eaten. Slice the cucumbers vertically, horizontally or diagonally depending on your preference. You should slice it thinly so that it can easily absorb the flavors. After slicing the cucumber, put it in the jar.Wash the cucumber to remove the dirt.
- 2You can mince the garlic and the onion or chop them coarsely if you want. The garlic and onion give flavor to your canned cucumber. You can also use chili peppers if you want a spicy canned cucumber.Prepare the spices needed in making your canned cucumber.
- 3If you don't have a seal maker, use a clean piece of plastic in sealing your canned cucumber.Cover the jar.
- 4If it lapse after 5 days, be sure to check if it is good before consuming it.You can preserve the canned cucumber for 3-5 days before consuming it.
- 2Peppers are also needed in making canned tomatoes.Garlic, onions, and ginger (optional).
- 3It's the main preserving agent.Vinegar is also very important.
- 4A certain amount of water is needed to be mixed with our spices and with the vinegar. It helps bind the flavors together and tame the acidity given by the vinegar.Water.
- 1This is also to save our health from eating dirty foods. You can marinate whole tomatoes as well. You will have the decision whether you prefer to slice it or not. Place your tomatoes in the clean jar.Wash the tomatoes properly to remove any trace of dirt.
- 2Mince or chop the garlic, peppers and onions. Place them in the jar. Pour in your vinegar half way. You need to put water to fill the remaining space in the jar.Prepare the spices.
- 3If you don't have a seal then you can use clean plastic to cover the jar. place the plastic over the open mouth of the jar before putting the original cover.Cover the jar.
- 4Shaking it mixes all the ingredients thoroughly. It also helps in checking for leaks.Shake the jar to mix the ingredients.
- 5You can keep your canned tomatoes for 3-5 days before consuming it. If it exceed five days, check it if it is still good for consumption.Store in your fridge.Advertisement
Recent edits by: Robbi, Rebecca M., Mian Sheilette Ong