Edited by Calob Horton
Questions and Answers
Can I use a Windows 7 OS free trial when first booting up a new PC?
I have just completed building a new computer, however I completely forgot to order the OS with the components. Will I be able to boot up Windows 7 from a USB and use a free trial until my OS arrives?
There is only one "trial" version of Windows 7. It's the Windows 7 Enterprise trial. This trial last for 90 days and cannot be activated; in other words, once the trial is up, you will have to reinstall a new copy of Windows. If you want to download the free trial for Windows 7 enterprise, click this link. When you are asked for your background, select IT Pro. This will allow you to download the trial.
However, you can use a free trial (of sorts) of Microsoft Windows 7 until your full operating system arrives. Every installation of Windows 7 gives a free, thirty-day grace period before you have to enter a key from Microsoft. This thirty-day grace period gives you Windows 7's full functionality so you can test it out before you buy it. However, after the thirty-day grace period ends, there are some functions that will cease to work as a result of Microsoft's fight against piracy. Some things that end or start after thirty days include:
- You'll be asked to activate every time your turn your PC on.
- The operating system will periodically ask you to activate.
- You won't be able to use Aero Glass or a background image.
- Your experience will be watermarked with the message "This copy of Windows is not genuine."
- You won't get access to all Windows updates.
Since you are purchasing a genuine copy of Windows 7, you won't have to worry about this. When your copy arrives, simply do the following to activate your copy of Windows 7:
- Click the Start button.
- Right-click Computer.
- Click Properties.
- Click Activate Windows now.
- Click Activate Windows online now.
- If you're prompted for an administrator password, enter it.
- Type the Windows 7 key into the fields that appear.
- Click next.
- Follow the rest of the instructions.
Your copy of Windows 7 will now be genuine.
Categories : Windows