Call a Taxi
Edited by Train Wreck, Eng, VisiHow
Whether you are in a new city, traveling, spending a night on the town, or simply without a car, there are a variety of reasons why you may find yourself needing a taxi service. We here at VisiHow want to make sure you have everything you need to successfully and easily get a taxi service wherever you are.
There are many ways to get a taxi, from hailing one outside in a large city to calling or even using a web or mobile application. In addition to cab companies, there also may be ride-sharing services available in your area. The following steps will help you get a taxi, whether it's your first time, or if you're a pro and just need help finding a better way to hail a cab.
Hailing a Taxi Outside
A popular way to use a taxi service is by hailing a taxi or cab outside. This option is commonly used in larger cities. Do keep in mind when using this option that the area you are in may also have unlicensed drivers (drivers not hired by a cab company), or limousine services as well. The price for using these services may be different. If you are in a location with unmetered taxis, it's a good idea to agree on a price upfront. Flagging a taxi is quite simple.
- 1If you are not at a taxi stand or in a queue line, such as at an airport or other public place with queued taxis, you will need to locate an available taxi. Many official taxis will have a light on top of the car signaling that they are available. Simply hold out one hand to flag a taxi. You can lower your hand when the taxi begins approaching you.Locate an available taxi on the street.Advertisement
- Many locations will have regulations that taxi fares must be calculated by a meter. If you do not see a meter, or if you are unsure that the meter is turned on, you should ask.
- If no meter is available, or if you are using an independently operated taxi, you should always agree on a fare before the ride begins.
Calling a Taxi Service
If you are unable to get a taxi by simply walking outside, as may be the case if you are not in a city, you may need to call a taxi service. If you need to call a taxi service, there are a few things you will need to know. Keep in mind that after you have provided all of this information, you should normally get an estimated arrival time from the company.
- 1You may find that there are a variety of cab or taxi companies available, or that you prefer to use some companies more than others. If you do not have internet access or access to a mobile app, you may find that your best option is to call a cab company. Available taxi services will vary depending on the country and even city that you are in, so be sure to check for a contact number online, in a telephone book, or with a telephone operator.Cab or Taxi company contact information.Advertisement
- 3Provide the cab company with the address or location you are going to. If you are providing an address, you should have the street number and street name and city, especially if you are traveling a long distance. If you are going to a landmark, the name of the landmark (such as a tourist attraction, well-known hotel, airport or shopping mall) should be sufficient, but you may want to have the address and contact number handy, just to make sure.The address or location you are going to / your destination.Advertisement
Book a Taxi with a Web or Mobile Phone App
Web and mobile apps are becoming a popular way to call a taxi, with Taxify as one company that links licensed taxis and riders in a number of countries around the world. In order to use this type of service, keep in mind that you will need an internet connection or data plan on your phone. If you need information on how to download or use Taxify, please view our other VisiHow tutorials.
Use a Ride Sharing App
In many locations, ride-sharing companies such as Uber and Lyft have become a popular alternative to a standard taxi service, due to their ease of use. These applications connect riders to drivers in different locations, with Lyft working in the U.S. and Uber currently working in 68 countries around the world. They differ from web or mobile apps such as Taxify because they do not connect you with licensed cabs that you would otherwise hail in the street. They connect you with independent drivers that are partnered with their companies.
Just remember to be as clear as possible when giving your location information to the taxi driver or taxi service in order to avoid being taken in the wrong direction. Don't forget to always keep the safety of yourself and others in mind, and never attempt to get behind the wheel of a car after you've been drinking. Calling a taxi can help solve this problem, as they can serve in place of a designated driver to get you and your friends home safely.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Call a Taxi. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 28, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Call_a_Taxi
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Call a Taxi." VisiHow, visihow.com/Call_a_Taxi Accessed 28 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Call a Taxi." Accessed May 28, 2017. http://visihow.com/Call_a_Taxi.
Categories : Travel & Leisure
Recent edits by: Eng, Train Wreck