Calculate for Body Mass Index
Edited by Jb Gingoyon, Lynn, Eng, Jmgf and 2 others
BMI, or Body Mass Index, is a numerical value that indicates whether a person is within the boundaries of having a healthy or unhealthy weight. It is the measure of a person's body mass , using the weight and the height as a basis for evaluation.
Calculating the BMI is important to determine whether the mass of weight of each person is in proportion to the person's build. It is also one of the tools used to identify if a person is obese, underweight, or overweight.
Since many diseases have been linked to being obese, monitoring the BMI will serve as a counter-checking procedure to ensure a fit and healthy body.
The formula for BMI is equivalent to the Mass(Kg) divided by the square of the person's height(m) [Kg/(mXm)].
Benefits for Calculating BMI:
Beyond the need for having a smaller size of clothing and a model-like figure, calculating the BMI is important so you would have the benefits of a healthy body.
- 1Monitoring the BMI of a person will also serve as a way of reminding the client of their weight issues.Weight Consciousness.Advertisement
- 2Taking note of the BMI will serve as a reminder for the need to have a healthier lifestyle. Sleeping patterns, blood pressure and muscle figure can be better executed when a person has a healthy BMI.Health State Awareness.Advertisement
- 3Excess weight in the body means that there is more work to do for your heart. People who have become more conscious about their weight have a reduced case for heart diseases and cancers in the near future.Disease Prevention.
- 4Those who are conscious about their body's state can get to have the opportunity to live life to the fullest, having a well monitored BMI means that one can get to enjoy physical activities and sports for an extended period of time.Longer, Happier Life.
- 1Take up the weight level, early in the morning. Make use of the unit (kilogram) KG. Conversion sites are also available online.Measure Weight Level.Advertisement
- One(1) kg = 2.2 lbs
- 2Convert the measured height into the unit Meters (m). When in doubt, conversion sites are also available online.Measure Height Level.
- One (1) ft = 0.30480m
- 3Replace the value of your results in the formula [(Mass)/ (Height squared)].Substitute with the formula.
- 4For a detailed Example.
- Height : 5 feet 4 in = 1.63m
- Weight: 110lbs = 50kg
- BMI: [50 / (1.63*1.63)] = 18.8
- BMI Status = Normal Weight
- 5After determining the BMI level, identify if the status of the BMI falls in the categories of Overweight, Underweight, Normal weight. For a more detailed look regarding the status BMI, please see the image below.Identify BMI status.Advertisement
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Weighing must be done in the morning before eating to attain the accurate body weight with an empty stomach.
- Remove all your jewelry, watches and earrings. These things can alter your actual weight.
- For breastfeeding and pregnant women, the BMI method is not an advisable method for assessing risks concerning obesity.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Robbi, Jmgf, Eng