Calculate Percentage Increase and Decrease
Edited by Thor, Jen M, Dougie, Anonymous
Hello and welcome to VisiHow. In this video, I am going to show you how to work out increases and decreases in percentages. This means I am going to show you how to express increases in numbers or situations and express them as a percentage. So the best way to explain this is with an example. The example I have here is..we are going to read. The profit of Maximillion's Galactic Tofu Emporium rises from 451,000 in 2021 to 679,000 in 2022. Calculate the percentage increase in profit.
- 8So this is the percentage - this is sorry - this is the amount of profit that has been made.So we need to work out what this is in relation to the total. The best way to do this is to focus on this figure 451,000 because this is the previous year's figure. It does not include the profit. 679,000 is the new total and it includes the profit in it so it is not useful for us. What we need to do is work out what percentage the profit represents in relation to the previous amount before the profit is added to it. So to do that, we are going to take 451,000 as a 100%. It is the complete total. And I should say now there are two ways to work out this sum okay? The first way I am going to show you is to divide 451,000 by 100 because 451,000 is the total it is 100%.
- 20The reason we do this is because we are going to express this as a fraction.So 451,000 is the total and 228,000 is a fraction of that. It is 228,000 parts of the total so if we divide them and times by a hundred we are going to express this as a fraction that is going to go to a decimal and then we are going to make it into a percentage by timing it by a hundred.
- 29Okay.As you can see, we have got the same answer from two different methods so now I am going to set you a question to do and you can leave the answers in the comment section below okay? So we have: In March 2018, 33,560 people suffered severe allergic reactions to Gordon Ramsey yet in April and we should say 33,560 in Essex, England, suffered severe allergic reactions to Gordon Ramsey yet in April, 2018 the amount was only 1,567. Can you work out the percentage for the decrease in affected people? And perhaps more importantly, can you explain why this has occurred?
- 30So there is the question.In March 2018, 33,560 people in Essex, England suffered severe allergic reactions to Gordon Ramsey, yet in April 2018 the amount was only 1,567. Can you work out the percentage of the decrease in the affected people? And more importantly, can you explain why this has happened? I suggest you focus mainly on the first part of that question. You can leave you answers in the comment section below and if you have any questions or perhaps any theories on why this has happened then please feel free to share them with all of us and perhaps we can share them with Gordon Ramsey himself. So you have been watching VisiHow. Goodbye.Advertisement
Video: Calculate Percentage Increase and Decrease
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Communications & Education
Recent edits by: Dougie, Jen M, Thor