Build an External Hard Drive
Edited by Train Wreck, Eng, VisiHow
In the following tutorial we will show you how to build an external hard drive by converting your old 3.5 inch laptop hard drive into an external HDD or SSD. This will help you to have increased storage, and let you benefit from continued use of your old hard drive. That means you won't need to move as much data. Just do make sure you back it all up before following the steps in this article. If you followed our earlier tutorial on how to install a new SSD drive in your laptop, you should definitely consider this option. You can keep using your old hard drive music and images this way.
What You Need
- You need a set of Phillips head screwdrivers. We will be using the one in the middle.
- You will need an external hard drive case. You can get an external hard drive case in any number of different from $10-$20 and up.
- You will need four screws to go in the holes which are there to hold the hard drive in place.
- You will need a USB or USB 3 cable as well.
- Don't forget that you'll also need a hard drive.
Build Your External Hard Drive
- 10Congratulations, you have created your very own external hard drive.Advertisement
This has been a VisiHow tutorial on how to build an external hard drive. If you have additional questions comments or suggestions about this or other tutorials here on VisiHow, let us know in the section below and we will do our best to get back to you. Have a great day and enjoy all that extra space your newly made external hard drive is going to provide you.
- Remember to be careful with platter drives, even when they are in a case. Bumping or dropping them can damage the platters of the HDD. This is especially true if they are in use or moving when you drop them.
- Always properly eject your external HDD when taking it out. Never just unplug it, especially if you are using an older HDD or platter drive.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Hardware
Recent edits by: Eng, Train Wreck