Build a Homemade Portable Water Heater
Edited by Graciela Franchesca Rosario, Lynn, Eng, Maria and 3 others
Warm water is needed in everyone's life. It is used to take a bathe, to wash clothes, dishes, floors, etc., but one-seventh of the people in the world do not have access to warm water. It is necessity, especially in cold climates. Warm water is also used to remove oils, germs on the skin and bacteria that could cause illnesses. If you live somewhere that hot water is no accessible, or perhaps you're camping or roughing it at a cottage, you can build your own portable and affordable water heater. Portable water heaters have been made using simple materials like the following:
- PVC piping.
- A cheap coffee maker.
- A float from a toilet bowl.
- A pond pump.
- Other tubes.
A portable water heater can be used in any situation you don't have access to warm water. Also, it's good to be prepared for any situation.
- 1 Steps
- 2 To Make the Portable Water Heater
- 3 How to Make a Solar Hot Water Heater
- 4 Questions and Answers
- 5 Referencing this Article
- 6 Comments
- 1The water heater only requires 1200 watts (10 amps) of energy, so that means you can use 1500 watt power inverter and link it to a car battery.Advertisement
- 2The water heater must be cleaned thoroughly at least once a month, or else there will be formation of thick layers of calcium and lime inside.Advertisement
- 3It can be folded and placed in the car, suitcase, backpack, or boat for easy transport.There is a solar water heater that is inexpensive to construct, costing less than $10 to construct.
To Make the Portable Water Heater
Items you will need:
- 1Used garden hoseAdvertisement
- 2Auto inner tube
- 3Small clamp
- 4½-inch plastic pipe coupler
- 5Good-quality rubber-sealing compound
- 6Nozzle or hose valve
- 2You can test it by inflating the tube and listening for the sound of air escaping.Make sure the tube is functioning well, and that it does not have holes water could leak from.
- 3If the tube has no holes, now, using a pair of scissors, cut a ¼-inch hole about two inches from the outside edge.
- 4Wet your fingers using water, and put them inside the hole to clean it.
- 5Get a ½-inch pipe coupler and cut off the lower half.
- 6You may leave the tube under the sun for a short while for it to soften the rubber.Pour a generous amount of rubber-sealing compound on the ridge of the coupler, and push it into the ¼ inch hole.
- 7Let it dry for the recommended time. If it doesn't dry completely, the seal becomes worthless.At the lower part of the coupler inside the hole, pull the ridge snug against the inside part of the tube.
- 8Apply rubber-sealer to coat the outside of the tube. The cement becomes stronger and dries faster if applied with three thin coats rather than one huge glob.Clean the new stem, then roughen the spot just like the space around the hole in the inner tube that needs to be patched.
- 9Then let it stay under the sun too, for it to soften. Place the clamp around the stem and hose to connect them.Take two feet of old garden hose, and connect it to the new stem.
- 10This is where you will connect the water control valve. If there isn't one available, you can buy a garden hose repair tool. This will cost less than $1 at most hardware shops.You will need a standard nozzle at the end of the hose.
- 11For better use, you may use a funnel to pour water into the hose.
- 12The water will enter, forcing the air out.If you are getting your water from a stream or lake, you can fill up the tube with air first, then dunk the entire device into the water, and open the new valve.
- 13When left directly in the sun, the temperature of the water inside the water heater will increase an average of 10 degrees an hour, leveling off at about 115 degrees Fahrenheit. For quicker heat gain, put the tube on the warm roof of a truck or car that is parked under the sun. You may extract water from this position as well.After that, put the device in the sunshine.
- 14You are able to do this if you hang the tube from a branch or pole or put it on the roof of your camper. Just be cautious of the sharp edges that may result in a puncture. For a really good shower, you may buy a plastic sprinkler at less than $1 and connect it to the end of the hose segment.To experience the function of the shower, you have to place the filled tube over your head.
- 15For traveling and camping purposes, you may place the rubber doughnut on the roof of a shed or outhouse as a convenient and good source of warm water.
Refill when necessary.
- 1When you're done with it, empty the tube then roll it up.
Other Ways to Build Portable Water Heater
Use a 20-pound barbecue tank. This can be carried on camping trips. Build a shed with sides, put on a Shur-Flo 12v pump with battery. This can be bought at about $125-250, depending on the model. This is wonderful to have in case of emergencies such as blackouts.
How to Make a Solar Hot Water Heater
- 1Get a container and paint it black to absorb the sun more efficiently. Place it in the sun. The amount of heat it will absorb depends on the time of year, location, and how cloudy it is that day. Regardless, it is a great investment in order to have a hot shower in a place you otherwise couldn't.Paint it Black.Advertisement
- 2Buy a 100-foot coil of ¾-inch black poly tubing that will cost about $20. To increase the volume of the water, you can buy 1-inch tubing instead. If you want cheaper tubing, then search for some on Craigslist.At the Plumbing Supply Store.
- 3Form the tubing into flat coil, and secure it with wire ties and a length of PVC pipe to keep it shape.Coil.
- 4Typically you can tighten a garden hose into ¾ threads. You can buy garden hose fittings. You can use a pair of pliers to snug the hose into the NPT threads.Insert the ¾ NPT threads onto each end of the plastic hose barb.
- 5Lace the coils and leave them under the sun and fill with cold ground water.Fill and Heat.
- 6To temper the water, you need a mixing valve. You can use a hose cocks to screw onto the garden hose.If the temperature is 75-80 degrees, after four hours, the water might become too hot for you to touch.
- 7Take a shower head and remove the low flow restrictor. Connect the shower head into the ball so you can have a "navy shower". Now, when you open the hot valve, you can add cold water until you get the desired temperature. Use the ball valve to shut off the flow without readjusting the temperature. When the hot water is almost entirely consumed, the water will gradually become colder.Connect a hose cock on a tee and put a ball valve at the end of the tee.
- 1It doesn't involve pressure on the pipe, but instead this is used to collect dust. There is no need to paint the pipe. Clamp both pipes together on a board. On the other end of the pipe, you supply water to it. If you need to add a tap, you may purchase reducer fittings. For increased flow, you may use ¾-inch pipe.You will need two PVC pipes; you can also use drainpipe.
- 2Use a tee to provide cold or hot water for the shower. This heater can hold more water than the coil. When you run out of flowing water, set up a 12v utility pump. It has less exposure to sun, so it will take more time to heat the water. You may add a water filter to remove debris. You may use wash machine hoses, or female to female connectors, because you may have problems connecting the male ends.A tee can feed the pipes with water.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
How to make a small water heater?
I live in a hostel where boilers and other stuff are not allowed. I need a small rod or small heater enough to make noodles. I don't like hostel food
To cook, you need a heat source like a hot plate to put a pan of water on. You could order one from an outdoor supply store what are called MREs or Meals Ready To Eat however I would caution that your hostel food may be better than the MREs.
How do I make a water heater using equipment available at home?
I have to do my science project in a week on a homemade water heater that uses batteries.
Stinkadoodlepie on YouTube makes a small water heater using batteries here. You will need an AA battery, ear buds, scissors, electrical tape and a corncob holder. Be careful, though, as you will create a full electrical circuit and could shock yourself.
How to make an electric water heater at home?
To make a simple electric water heater. I have tried: Nothing. I think it was caused by: Lack of ideas.
This Youtube Tutorial shows you how to make a simple water heater using the heating element that a coffee pot uses. It is a pretty neat idea for you to check out.
Hi, what is the difference between water heating rod and heating element?
Hi, what is the difference between water heating rod and heating element?
The difference would be that a heating element can impact larger volumes of water. Heating rods are generally used for portable water heating systems and most come with an external plug where a heating element needs to be wired in differently.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Build a Homemade Portable Water Heater. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 28, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Build_a_Homemade_Portable_Water_Heater
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Build a Homemade Portable Water Heater." VisiHow, visihow.com/Build_a_Homemade_Portable_Water_Heater Accessed 28 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Build a Homemade Portable Water Heater." Accessed Mar 28, 2017. http://visihow.com/Build_a_Homemade_Portable_Water_Heater.
Categories : Home Improvement
Recent edits by: naty, aman1111, Maria