Build Alcohol Powered Bottle Rockets
Edited by David Collins, Doug Collins, Eng
This guide will teach you how to build a bottle rocket launcher powered by rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol).
This project should only be completed under the supervision of a professional.
The bottle can travel a few hundred feet with a correct launch! For the rocket launcher, you will need the following supplies:
- 3' x 1/2" PVC Pipe.
- (x2) 1.5' x 1/2" PVC Pipe.
- (x2) 10" x 1/2" PVC Pipe.
- (x2) 1/2" Elbow Connectors
- A 1/2" Tee Connector
- Barbecue push button igniter, extra wire, hot glue, electrical tape and a 2 liter soda bottle.
- Safety glasses & hearing protection are recommended.
Building the Bottle Rocket Launcher
- 4this problem can be fixed by adding some stripped wire to extend the length of the wire. Strip both ends of two wires: one wire will be for the terminal end of the igniter and the other will be for completing the electric "shock" by running a wire from the side of the igniter in the small hole (if necessary, depending on the make of your igniter).We notice that the barbecue igniter is a little too short:
Launching the Bottle Rocket
- 4shake any excess liquid alcohol from the bottle out, allowing oxygen gas to get inside the 2 liter bottle. If you find that you can't ignite the bottle after the first launch it's most likely because you didn't allow new air to get inside of the bottle between launches, OR haven't coated the inside of the bottle with enough alcohol; try shaking more aggressively.VERY important step:
- 6The bottle should be positioned with the neck touching the piece of tape you wrapped around the wires on the 3 foot long PVC pipe.Advertisement
Video: Build Alcohol Powered Bottle Rockets
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Build Alcohol Powered Bottle Rockets. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 25, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Build_Alcohol_Powered_Bottle_Rockets
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Build Alcohol Powered Bottle Rockets." VisiHow, visihow.com/Build_Alcohol_Powered_Bottle_Rockets Accessed 25 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Build Alcohol Powered Bottle Rockets." Accessed May 25, 2017. http://visihow.com/Build_Alcohol_Powered_Bottle_Rockets.