Break Up with Your Boyfriend over Social Media/SMS with These 50 Message Ideas
Edited by Brindzhound
With over 8.3 trillion text messages sent in a year and 1.09 daily active users on Facebook alone, it's no wonder that we are turning toward SMS and social media to end our relationships. The days of telling him it's over in person are, well, over.
Before deciding what kind of break-up message to send him, however, it's useful to take a look at why you want to break up with him. Is it because he cheated? Is it because he won't pick up his socks? Is this a new or long-term relationship? Are you angry and want to hurt him? The reason why will help you decide which of the following scenarios fits your situation the best.Also, keep in mind that these ideas are only that: ideas. You can change them to suit your circumstances or use them as inspiration to craft your own cunningly constructed messages.
Hell Hath No Fury…
When you're mad at your boyfriend and want to break up with him in a maximally hurtful, mean way, there's no better way to do it than over a text message or social media. Who needs the anguish of a face-to-face discussion when you could just let your thumbs do the talking? You may also be interested in reading How to Get Back at Your Boyfriend for Cheating
- 1Post a picture of you on a date with another guy and caption it I don't ly anymore.Your dumped. ByeAdvertisement
- 2Make a post on Reddit about how to tell your boyfriend you want to break up with him.Put in enough personal details so that he knows for sure is about him. Then send him the link to be sure he reads itAdvertisement
- 3If you're both on the same social media platform, have a conversation with a friend over social media about how you're breaking up with him.
- 4You're too x for me.Bye. Make X some characteristic about him that you know he's insecure about.
- 5Make an announcement message that you're breaking up with him and let him find out about it later.Give the reasons why you're breaking up with him.
- 6Change your social media status to "single."
- 7Create a profile on OKCupid or Tinder and broadcast it to your friends, asking them to spread the word that you're available.
- 8Post a picture on social media of you and your boyfriend together, but with him obviously cut out of it.
- 9Text him or post to social media a picture of all of his stuff on the sidewalk outside of your house/apartment and tell him he has to come and pick it up.(If he's been living with you.)
- 10Make a meme out of a picture of him and post it to social media.
When It's Seriously Over. Seriously
It's over, and you just want to let him know. You have no ax to grind, but you're a busy gal and who has time for in-person break-ups anymore?
- 1You're never there for me, so I am done with youAdvertisement
- 2I grew up, but you didn't.We're done.
- 3I know about her.You can have each other because we're over.
- 4I'm sorry, but we aren't right for each other.It's over.
- 5I'd rather we be friends.
- 6You're not the man I fell in love with anymore.Goodbye.
- 7I love you, but I'm not "in love" with you.I'm sorry, but it's over.
- 8I never thought I would say this to you, but I'm breaking up with you.
- 9Hate me if you want, but I can't be with anymore.Bye.
- 10I can't be with a guy who x, y, z.Bye
He May Not Be Laughing but….
If you want to use humor or snark to break up with your boyfriend, he may or may not be amused, but you can be snickering away as you type out your goodbye message. Some of these are written as responses for when he texts you or messages you on social media.
- 1You're receiving this message because you're in a relationship with [your name].She wants to let you know that she is breaking up with you.Advertisement
- 2It's just a little too late a little too wrong and I can't wait.I'm not listening to you anymore. We're through.
- 3Roses are red violets are blue, I'm so sorry, but I'm breaking up with you
- 4When you lied our relationship died.Bye.
- 5Error 404:This relationship no longer exists.
- 6It's not me it's you.We're done. Kthxbye
- 7I was drunk when I said I loved you.I actually don't. Bye.
- 8I need some space.Like the whole apartment. Forever. Bye
- 9My doctor told me I'm allergic to you.So, I'm sorry, but it's over.
- 10No, I have plans for that night.And every other night.
Shame on You
Shame, shame, shame on you…or him, rather. Post these on social media and imagine his face turning bright red with embarrassment.
- 1We could have had something, but you did x and ruined everything.Bye.
- 2I can't forgive you for saying x to me.It's over. X is the shameful thing he said.
- 3You borrowed money from me (or a friend/family member) and never paid it back.You made me look bad, and I can't forgive that.
- 4I know you cheated on me with that other girl.I found her panties in our bedroom.
- 5I know you went to x with y when you said you were going to z.We're through
- 6You said you made x when you really make y.How can I trust anything you say? We're done
- 7Your skeezy friends stole x from me, and you're defending them?I'm out.
- 8You forgot my birthday again.It's obvious you don't care about me. We're through.
- 9Your apartment stinks and so do you.I'm done.
- 10Did you really think I wouldn't find out you were with her the other night?I'm gone.
When It Never Had a Chance
Whether you went out on a few dates with a guy your friend swore was terrific, but he's actually not, or you got matched on Tinder, and he turned out to be a total loser, you can quickly get rid of him without ever seeing his face again.
- 1This isn't going to work out.You don't have a job.
- 2This isn't going to work out.You live in your parent's basement.
- 3You still live with your mother.We're done.
- 4I'm sorry x, but there's no chemistry.
- 5This is as far as it goes between us.I'm sorry.
- 6We're too different for things to work out between us.
- 7I've thought about it, and I don't think this will work out.
- 8I don't see a future for us.Sorry.
- 9There's no chance for us.Bye.
- 10Sorry, but I can't continue this with you.Advertisement
Tips, Tricks, and Warnings
- Be careful about airing your dirty laundry on social media. Once you post something on the Internet, it stays there forever. What you say in the heat of the moment now could come back to haunt you at a later date.
- Be certain you're safe before attempting to break up with an obsessive boyfriend. He might get angry and decide to come after you.
- Try and be kind, regardless of what happened in your relationship. It will make getting over him much easier if you have no regrets.
- Don't try these ideas if you are underage, as they could have far-reaching consequences that you aren't prepared to handle.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Break Up with Your Boyfriend over Social Media/SMS with These 50 Message Ideas. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 23, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Break_Up_with_Your_Boyfriend_over_Social_Media/SMS_with_These_50_Message_Ideas
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Break Up with Your Boyfriend over Social Media/SMS with These 50 Message Ideas." VisiHow, visihow.com/Break_Up_with_Your_Boyfriend_over_Social_Media/SMS_with_These_50_Message_Ideas Accessed 23 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Break Up with Your Boyfriend over Social Media/SMS with These 50 Message Ideas." Accessed Mar 23, 2017. http://visihow.com/Break_Up_with_Your_Boyfriend_over_Social_Media/SMS_with_These_50_Message_Ideas.
Categories : Relationships