Break Up with Your Boyfriend over Social Media/SMS with These 50 Message Ideas
Edited by Kathy McGraw, Eng, VC
With over 8.3 trillion text messages sent in a year and 1.09 daily active users on Facebook alone, it's no wonder that we are turning toward SMS and social media to end our relationships. The days of telling him it's over in person are, well, over.
Before deciding what kind of break-up message to send him, however, it's useful to take a look at why you want to break up with him. Is it because he cheated? Is it because he won't pick up his socks? Is this a new or long-term relationship? Are you angry and want to hurt him? The reason why will help you decide which of the following scenarios fits your situation the best.Also, keep in mind that these ideas are only that: ideas. You can change them to suit your circumstances or use them as inspiration to craft your own cunningly constructed messages.
Hell Hath No Fury...
When you're mad at your boyfriend and want to break up with him in a maximally hurtful, mean way, there's no better way to do it than over a text message or social media. Who needs the anguish of a face-to-face discussion when you could just let your thumbs do the talking? You may also be interested in reading How to Get Back at Your Boyfriend for Cheating
- 1Your dumped. ByePost a picture of you on a date with another guy and caption it I don't ly anymore.Advertisement
- 2Put in enough personal details so that he knows for sure is about him. Then send him the link to be sure he reads itMake a post on Reddit about how to tell your boyfriend you want to break up with him.Advertisement
- 3If you're both on the same social media platform, have a conversation with a friend over social media about how you're breaking up with him.
- 4Bye. Make X some characteristic about him that you know he's insecure about.You're too x for me.
- 5Give the reasons why you're breaking up with him.Make an announcement message that you're breaking up with him and let him find out about it later.
- 6Change your social media status to "single."
- 7Create a profile on OKCupid or Tinder and broadcast it to your friends, asking them to spread the word that you're available.
- 8Post a picture on social media of you and your boyfriend together, but with him obviously cut out of it.
- 9(If he's been living with you.)Text him or post to social media a picture of all of his stuff on the sidewalk outside of your house/apartment and tell him he has to come and pick it up.
- 10Make a meme out of a picture of him and post it to social media.
When It's Seriously Over. Seriously
It's over, and you just want to let him know. You have no ax to grind, but you're a busy gal and who has time for in-person break-ups anymore?
- 1You're never there for me, so I am done with youAdvertisement
- 2We're done.I grew up, but you didn't.
- 3You can have each other because we're over.I know about her.
- 4It's over.I'm sorry, but we aren't right for each other.
- 5I'd rather we be friends.
- 6Goodbye.You're not the man I fell in love with anymore.
- 7I'm sorry, but it's over.I love you, but I'm not "in love" with you.
- 8I never thought I would say this to you, but I'm breaking up with you.
- 9Bye.Hate me if you want, but I can't be with anymore.
- 10ByeI can't be with a guy who x, y, z.
He May Not Be Laughing but....
If you want to use humor or snark to break up with your boyfriend, he may or may not be amused, but you can be snickering away as you type out your goodbye message. Some of these are written as responses for when he texts you or messages you on social media.
- 1She wants to let you know that she is breaking up with you.You're receiving this message because you're in a relationship with [your name].
Shame on You
Shame, shame, shame on you...or him, rather. Post these on social media and imagine his face turning bright red with embarrassment.
- 1Bye.We could have had something, but you did x and ruined everything.
- 2It's over. X is the shameful thing he said.I can't forgive you for saying x to me.
- 3You made me look bad, and I can't forgive that.You borrowed money from me (or a friend/family member) and never paid it back.
- 4I found her panties in our bedroom.I know you cheated on me with that other girl.
- 5We're throughI know you went to x with y when you said you were going to z.
- 6How can I trust anything you say? We're doneYou said you made x when you really make y.
- 7I'm out.Your sleazy friends stole x from me, and you're defending them?
- 8It's obvious you don't care about me. We're through.You forgot my birthday again.
- 9I'm done.Your apartment stinks and so do you.
- 10I'm gone.Did you really think I wouldn't find out you were with her the other night?
When It Never Had a Chance
Whether you went out on a few dates with a guy your friend swore was terrific, but he's actually not, or you got matched on Tinder, and he turned out to be a total loser, you can quickly get rid of him without ever seeing his face again.
- 1You don't have a job.This isn't going to work out.
- 2You live in your parent's basement.This isn't going to work out.
- 3We're done.You still live with your mother.
- 4I'm sorry x, but there's no chemistry.
- 5I'm sorry.This is as far as it goes between us.
- 6We're too different for things to work out between us.
- 7I've thought about it, and I don't think this will work out.
- 8Sorry.I don't see a future for us.
- 9Bye.There's no chance for us.
- 10Sorry, but I can't continue this with you.
Tips, Tricks, and Warnings
- Be careful about airing your dirty laundry on social media. Once you post something on the Internet, it stays there forever. What you say in the heat of the moment now could come back to haunt you at a later date.
- Be certain you're safe before attempting to break up with an obsessive boyfriend. He might get angry and decide to come after you.
- Try and be kind, regardless of what happened in your relationship. It will make getting over him much easier if you have no regrets.
- Don't try these ideas if you are underage, as they could have far-reaching consequences that you aren't prepared to handle.