Block Mobile Spam
Edited by Ephraim, Lynn, Adrian Penaflor, Maria and 1 other
If you want to block spam that comes to your mobile device, you can follow the directions below. When it comes to spam you will need to block spam coming to you from email, and now even to your mobile device. Spam can come to your mobile phone through text messages, or even from phone calls at times. However, you can take measures to prevent the annoying messages from spammers coming to you via your cell phone.
- 1Avoid Internet Messages.Advertisement
- 2Use False or Alternate Accounts.Use a fake or alternate form of contact if you do in fact wish to receive messages from certain sites, spammer promotions, etc. When you sign up for things on the internet, you must understand that the information you are giving them will sometimes be used in sending spam information out to your mobile device, and sometimes even your home mailbox. By using false information, you can prevent your device from receiving messages from spammers. This is especially important if you have to pay per message on your cell phone plan, but you will still be able to get the immediate information that you seek from the site. Other than using a fake number you can also use an alternate email address to capture these messages in a way that will not be annoying toward you and can be accessed whenever you choose to view the messages.Advertisement
- 3Block Unwanted Numbers.Block the numbers or addresses of the spammers to keep them from being able to contact you on your mobile number and to keep the emails from coming to your inbox. If you contact your cell carrier, the company will be able to block all information coming to your device from a certain number, email address, or even a whole website that you provide, and this will keep them from contacting you at all on your mobile device. Whenever you block a url from contacting you through your carrier, anything sent from that specific url will be blocked from further contact.
- 4Don't Give Information Unnecessarily.Refrain from giving your information out to online websites that require you to give them a number to be contacted. Signing up for many things online will automatically give out your information to be spammed. If you don't want messages on your cell phone, another good way to get the information or registration you desire is to give the site or registration form a landline number, but then you may instead receive calls to your landline phone. This is basically a transfer from getting annoyed on your cellular device to being annoyed on your landline phone. Therefore, the best advice is to not give out any information online that can be traced back to your personal numbers or home address for spam.
- 5Download a Blocking App.If you are using an Android-based operating system, there are some blocking apps that you can download from the Android market. One called "Mr. Number" and another called "Privacy Star" can help you to not only block spammers, but also block personal calls from coming to your device. When using these applications, you can block either a number you input, a spam number that has called, or even a certain contact in your phone. These applications will save you the time of having to figure out the number by simply taking the number off of your recent calls list and blocking the number with ease from your device. Along with these apps you can opt to have the number completely ignored or to be sent to your voicemail box so that you can still listen to the information they are offering without having to pick up the phone and talk to them or be annoyed by their calls.
- 6Do not reply to spam text messages if you do not wish to receive any more messages from the business.If you reply to the message other than STOP then you are giving your consent to the business to continue to send you messages to your mobile device. This also works with email also which come to your mobile device may as well so if you receive any message through email or text never reply to the message to get the spammers to stop sending you messages.
- 7Create email addresses with uncommon names as simple email address names will gather more spam than harder to guess email addresses.Some spam does not come from the typical way of filling out information, some are just randomly sent out to common names of email addresses to spam people.
- 8Start over with your mobile number if the spam information continues to come through to your mobile device.At times your mobile number will get so far out there to spammers that using the information above may only offer temporary solutions especially if you have given out your number to multiple spammers who have not yet contacted you in order for you to block them from contacting your job. Changing your mobile device number will help you to be able to start over fully free and clear from all spammer but understand that this is to be used as a last resort.Advertisement
- Below are further tips to help you block spammers according to your specific carrier that you are utilizing:
- Sprint: Go to www.sprint.com, and from there you will need to select the tab labeled "Digital Lounge" in order to open up the messaging menu, so that you can choose the "Block Texts" option. Once you have done this, you will come to a menu that will allow you to block certain phone numbers, email addresses and website addresses. After you have finished entering your selection, you will then need to select the save option so that you can save all of your changes accordingly.
- Verizon: Go to www.verizonwireless.com and after you have logged in, go to the tab marked "My Verizon" so that you can select the next tab, marked "My Services." Once this menu is opened, you will need to locate the selection labeled "Spam Control" and from here you can enter up to 15 addresses and numbers to be blocked from your mobile device.
- AT&T: The quickest way to block spam through this carrier will be to forward the message that has been spammed to you to the number "7726," which are the numbers that spell spam. From there, the numbers or addresses will be blocked from contacting your device.
- T-Mobile: Go to www.t-mobile.com, and from there you will need to select the tab "My T-Mobile." From there you will select "Change plan or services," and after you have made this selection, you will need to select the option labeled "Change Services," and then you will be able to block certain texts, emails, and calls from being delivered to your device.
- Virgin Mobile: Go to www.virginmobile.com and log into to it. From there you will need to go to "Change Preferences" from the menu to be able to block the numbers that you wish to block accordingly.
- Be sure that you ensure that the number that is contacting you is in fact a spammer and not a friend for you may block a friends number instead of a spammer
- Download applications that can help you to block spam such as Mr. Number, Norton and etc.
- For a long term effective way to reduce or block spam contact your mobile network carrier to help you to block spam
- Set up to email/phone numbers to be able to separate spam coming to your device but still allowing you to get the promotions on another account that will gain you access to spam but in a place where you will desire to receive them
- Be safe when it comes to blocking number that are unknown for they can be calls coming from your bank or institution
- Putting your phone number on a do not call list only prevents people from calling your number but will be open to receiving text messages
- Do not respond to first time text messages from spammer for responding to these messages will give them the impression that you will like to receive more messages from them in the future.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Tech
Recent edits by: Maria, Adrian Penaflor, Lynn