Bind a Book
Edited by Maria Sharon Ubando, Anonymous, Eng, Rebecca M. and 1 other
While the cost of binding a book is not that expensive, it could save you few dollars if you do it yourself. Aside from being able to save money, you could learn a new skill that you can use for other crafts.
When you have mastered the craft, you can make personalized books as presents. Even better, you may be able to create a small business from home. The steps to binding a book are not that complicated but just be patient until you become an expert on this.
Binding a Book Yourself
Things You'll Need
* Paper sheets, and Pencil.
* Acid- free binder board.
* Headband tape, Double-sided adhesives.
* jade Glue.
* Book Canvas.
* Paint Brush.
* Heavy weight paper sheet for your end pages.
* Craft Knife
* Bone Folder
Steps in Binding a Book
- 1Get the paper sheets that you want to bind as a book.With the texts or images on the inside, fold the sheets into half. Be sure to use a bone folder when you do this.Advertisement
- 2Get started with your first two pages.Secure a double-sided tape on the folded paper which will serve as the back of your book's second page. Burnish or polish the page with the bone folder and remove the double-sided adhesive protective backing. Secure your next page over. Line up the edges and linings then secure by burnishing. Just continue with the same process for the remaining pages.Advertisement
- 3Work on the end pages on your book now.Fold the paper and using double-sided tape, place it on top and bottom with the earlier secured sheets.
- 4Place your stack of papers at the edge of a table letting it hang off by a quarter of an inch.Put on a little weight on it by placing several heavy books onto the paper stacks. Brush five coats of Jade glue in the middle or the spine. Leave each coat to dry for 10-15 minutes.
- 5Add a headband tape on both of the spine's ends.
- 6Only when necessary, trim the edges of the papers using a craft knife.
- 7Place the paper stacks onto the binder's board.Add a quarter inch tracing that will serve as your book's front and back cover.
- 8Trim the spine from the board binder making sure it is the same height with the two covers.The width should be equal with the pages' thickness.
- 9Place both the book cover and spine on the canvas.Leave a quarter inch allowance between the spine and the cover. Make a tracing around the cover and the spine with the pencil. Mark a template that you will follow for gluing. Trim the canvas leaving an inch around the whole layout. Leave an ellipse side on the corners.
- 10Put glue onto the board cover leaving no air bubbles then glue it into the canvas.Flip the sides until air bubbles disappear. Use the same process for the next spine and cover.
- 11Just repeat the process until you are done with the whole book.Design are desired.
- 12Could be a little time-consuming but it feels great finishing your first DIY book binding.Advertisement
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Arts & Crafts
Recent edits by: Rebecca M., Eng, Anonymous