Best Way to Buy Broadway Tickets
Edited by Kathy McGraw
To see a show on Broadway in New York City is a special kind of experience, one that you won't soon forget if you get the chance to have it. Unfortunately, the ticket prices can get quite expensive: upwards of $100 per seat, in some cases. Luckily for those of us who don't have that kind of money to spend, there are a few ways you can get your hands on Broadway tickets for much less. So, if you want to see the Book of Mormon but can't afford the tickets, or you just can't stand paying full price, here are some ways to save.
- 1Operated as a service of the Theater Development Fund, TKTS Booths sell discounted same-day tickets to Broadway shows. You can save up to 50 percent on ticket prices for just a small service fee. There are four locations in New York City to serve you: Times Square, South Street and Seaport, Downtown Brooklyn, and Lincoln Center. There is also a TKTS app you can download to your smartphone, as well. Availability for certain shows may be limited; however, and you will have to contend with lines. The Fast Pass allows you to skip to the head of the line if you use it within seven days of your last purchase.Visit a TKTS Booth.Advertisement
- 2In 2013 the founders of TodayTix started this venture to innovate the process of buying Broadway tickets so that more people could enjoy the theater that they so loved. Download the TodayTix app and order discounted or regular price Broadway tickets to shows on the same day or up to a week in advance. The app also shows you if there are any lotteries running for a particular show.Use the TodayTix app (todaytix.com).Advertisement
- 3Broadway Roulette provides a novel solution for selling discount tickets to Broadway shows. In exchange for allowing it to pick the show for which you are offered tickets, it will sell them to you for between $49 and $59. The way the system works is that you choose a time, anywhere from the next day to a time three months away, indicate the type of show you want to see, and the system will offer you tickets to an available show based on your preferences. You are notified on the day of the show via text or email with the details.Broadway Roulette (broadwayroulette.com).
- 4Many companies have discount programs for their employees from which you can order Broadway show tickets. There may be additional requirements, such as blackout dates during which you may not purchase tickets, among other things; however, so be aware of that.Check with your employer.
- 5Most ticket lotteries are put on by the individual productions, and you can find out about them and enter at the box office on the day of the show. For the best chance at getting discount tickets, choose Wednesday or weekend matinee performances. Additionally, you have the option of participating in ticket lotteries online:Check for ticket lotteries.
- Broadwaydirect.com lists shows with available lotteries and allows you to participate directly from its website.
- Broadwayforbrokepeople.com and Playbill.com maintain lists of ongoing lotteries and provide links to where you can participate online where possible
- The app, TodayTix also allows you to participate in ticket lotteries digitally.
- 7Rushing the box office means arriving up two hours before showtime in the hopes that there will be tickets available for purchase at a discount. Like lotteries, try Wednesday or weekend matinee shows for the best chance at getting tickets for the show you want to see.Try and rush the box office.
- 9If you live in New York City, are a student, teacher, recent graduate, or a retiree, and want the opportunity to regularly and easily buy discounted Broadway tickets, consider joining the Theater Development Fund (TDF). For an annual fee of $34, you will be able to buy tickets for only $9 to $47, and you won't be restricted to having to purchase them on the day of the show.Join the Theater Development Fund (TDF.org).
- 10If you're a student, many theater production houses run student discount programs for tickets to the shows they produce. You will, of course, need your student ID to purchase tickets in this way. Here are a few such companies:Take advantage of student discounts.
- Hiptix.com sells discount tickets for Roundabout Theater Company shows to students between the ages of 18 to 35.
- LincTx (lct.org/linctix) sells Lincoln Theater production show tickets to students between the ages of 21-35.
- Schooltx.com sells discount tickets to librarians, teachers, and students alike.
- 11There is always some kind of promotion going on through which you can get discount Broadway tickets. All you need to do is search online for "broadway tickets discount code," and you will likely get a ton of hits. However, be aware that some of the codes may no longer work. Here's how to purchase tickets with a discount code:Search online for Broadway show discount codes.
- By phone at Ticketmaster or Telecharge.
- At Ticketmaster.com,Telecharge.com or Broadwayoffers.com.
- At the theater box office.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Entertainment