Become a Better Brother or Sister
Edited by Emmanuel M. Lardizabal, Eng, Laurel Waddell, naazia and 8 others
In a family that consists of a father and mother, and several children, the youngest children will be often be referred to as younger brothers or sisters and the older children as older brothers or sisters. In most homes the oldest sibling has the most responsibility. This child probably has more understanding and has learned more skills than the younger children in the family. For this reason, the oldest child may be given the responsibility of taking care of his or her younger siblings. This very often makes the oldest of the siblings responsible for the actions and behavior of his or her younger brothers or sisters. Because of the responsibility that has been assigned to the oldest child it would be in his or her best interest to be the best sibling he or she can be. An older child should always strive to become a good example for his younger siblings.
Being a good brother or a sister will most likely bring about a close relationship, strengthening the bonds between each of the children. As he or she continues to care for the younger siblings, the parents of the oldest child will begin to recognize these efforts. It will make a good impression on the parents and other members of the family. The actions of a good older sibling will also bring about solid communication and interaction within the family, and everyone in the family will draw closer to each other throughout the years. Becoming a sibling that tries to be available to his younger family members will also give him or her the opportunity to help his or her siblings in times of need.
Perhaps you are an older sibling looking for ways to become a better brother or sister.
- 1 How to become a good big brother or a big sister
- 2 How to be a Good Little Brother or Sister.
4 Questions and Answers
- 4.1 What are the responsibilities being a brother or sister?
- 4.2 How to be friendly to my elder sister who possibly doesn't love me very much?
- 4.3 How can I make myself an amazing older sister?
- 4.4 I want to get a Macbook but my siblings don't think I'm mature/responsible enough. I want to get closer to them so I can get a Macbook and I really need it.
- 4.5 I need help with my personal narrative essay?
- 4.6 How to be a good big brother in front of my parents.
- 4.7 My parents and brothers think I want more and more from others, but I am not like that. How do I show them practically? Help!
- 4.8 Actually never mind. I don't have a problem being a good sibling right now.
- 4.9 How to be a better big sister to my little brother.
- 4.10 There are 7 girls and 1 brother, age from 69 to 80, we have never had a meeting, I hope we will meet for the first time, should we talk about old hurts, or should we just forgive each other and move on?
- 4.11 How should boys treat their little sister?
- 4.12 How boys should respect elders?
- 5 Comments
How to become a good big brother or a big sister
There are many ways for a big brother or a big sister to express how much he or she values the siblings in the family. Here are some helpful steps to becoming a good big brother or a good big sister.
- 1As a big brother or a sister, you should help your siblings with homework and other activities. Whenever your siblings need help, you should always be there to lend a helping hand without asking for anything in return. As a big brother or big sister, you should be responsible enough to take of care of your younger sibling whether at home or away from home, which will give your parents confidence in you, and allow your younger siblings go with you when you leave the house. You will also make a good impression on your parents when they see you helping your younger brothers or sisters. You will gain greater trust from them.You should be a helpful big brother or sister to your siblings.Advertisement
- 2Show support to your younger siblings by attending their school activities, school festivals, sport events, meetings etc. They should know you are there, cheering them on and feeling empowered by your encouragement. You should also show support to your siblings by helping them make hard decisions, and helping them to deal with everyday problems. You should guide your sibling in making decisions by setting a good example and gently steering them in the right direction. Nagging them and reminding them of past mistakes is not empowering, and will be met with resistance. Show them you care. Be supportive. Affirm their good deeds, ideas and accomplishments.You should be a supportive big brother or sister to your siblings.Advertisement
- 3This may include watching them while they are playing in other places - always keeping an eye out for them and making sure they are safe. You are there to find out why they are crying, and to laugh with them when they have happy experiences. While you are babysitting, you can guide your siblings in what they are doing, and to be there to assists them. When you have a toddler, you can baby sit them by assisting them in eating meals and be being available to play with him or her. You can also provide your sibling with toys to play with, sometimes out of the little one's reach.As a big brother or big sister, you will probably be asked to babysit them.
- 4As a big brother or a big sister, you should display good character traits to your younger siblings. Because of their positive upbringing, thanks in part to you, they will be good people when they grow up. Children who grow up in a good, loving family, will most likely be a good adult, raising a loving family of his or her own. You should also be a role model to your younger siblings by educating them about right and wrong. It is important for young people to understand there are consequences for bad behavior. They may lose friends if they are unkind, or gain enemies if the don't treat people they way the should be treated. Counsel them that there are rewards for doing the right thing, and they need to consider every action before doing it. Show a positive attitude in front of your siblings, and hopefully they will adopt this attitude as their own as they grow up. You also need to maintain a good appearance in their presence.You should be a role model.
- 5Gather your siblings for some bonding time. You can also organize team building for your family in order to create good communication and interactions with each other. You can hang out with your sibling by going to their favorite places, and by telling them your life stories. You can share your experiences with your siblings while you are hanging out with them. Tell your siblings how important it is for the family to spend time together. While hanging out with them, you could also play with them. You can play their favorite indoor and outdoor games. Games are a great way to bond with your siblings.Hangout with your siblings.
- 6This will teach them to do the same. There's a good chance you teased them, or played jokes on them when you were younger, and admitting it will make everyone feel better. You should behave with integrity and not be prideful when you have done something wrong to your sibling. Even if you know you are not the one who committed mistake, you should humble yourself in order maintain a good relationship with your younger brother or sister.You need to apologize for any wrong doings you have done to your younger siblings, and ask for forgiveness.
How to be a Good Little Brother or Sister.
- 1As a younger sibling, you need to respect your older siblings. This will help you maintain a good relationship with them. You will also create good feelings between you and your older siblings. You may end up getting attention, perhaps becoming their favorite younger brother or sister. When you talk to them, you need to respect them and talk to them in calm way. Try not to behave in a way that will make them angry. You also need to answer questions properly and promptly without being insulting. If you don't answer a question politely, your elder sibling might have cause to be angry with you. Remember, they have more experience and knowledge than you. You also need to listen to their advice. It will be helpful for you, especially while you are in the process of growing up, and also in the future. You need to listen to them, not just because they have more experience, but because they have had the opportunity to learn from their mistakes. This makes it possible for you to learn from their mistakes as well, by avoiding them yourself.You need to respect your elders.Advertisement