Become Fluent in English
Edited by Jenni123, Charmed, Rose B, Lynn and 2 others
English is internationally known as the dominant language. Every day, we are reminded of how important it is to be able to express ourselves using the language. Its relevance can no longer be negated or ignored, for knowing the language well helps people be globally competitive and credible. Nonetheless, there are still many people who cannot speak the language fluently. Procedures for improving your English skills can be found below:
- 1Being aware of the grammatical rules will aid in making you critical about the structure of your phrases. However, studying grammar may only slow you down and puzzle you. Many natives are not familiar with the rules, but they are still fluent in English and can communicate, listen, speak and read commendably. Thinking about the subject and verb agreement, rather than stating a sentence like a native, may actually hinder your ability to speak English. Hence, it is important to be aware of the rules, but to focus more on being able to converse in English. To speak good English, you need to put in effort in learning about conversational English.Focus on conversing.Advertisement
- 2Utilize any means to strengthen your fluency. Do some research in your library or surf the internet for anything that could further your knowledge about the language. It is important that you rely on sources that give out correct information and have credibility, however. Study as many phrases as you can, and try to create sentences using them. Try to understand the fundamentals through books, movies, news, advertisements, etc., and indulge in the beauty of learning.Learn from the correct material.Advertisement
- 3Taking the most literal translation of every word from your Mother tongue to an English sentence often results in not getting your whole point across. This should be avoided because it triggers misunderstanding, considering the fact that the order of words may completely not make sense in the other language. If you come across people who use maxims that you do not understand, do not be afraid to ask what they meant. Understanding the similarities as well as the differences of each language brings you closer to fluency.Avoid translating each and every word.
- 4Listening, reading and speaking are the three most significant aspects of every language. In order to effortlessly express yourself, you need to pay attention to details. Occasionally, people start to understand others before they're actually able to speak fluently and this arises from being able to listen and read. Grasping the idea will help in forming conversations with the public. When you are studying, do not just listen. Try to speak out loud the material that you are listening to/reading. Practice speaking until it becomes habitual and feels natural.Rehearse saying what you hear.
- 5Submerging yourself and letting yourself delight in a new language will, indeed, take you along your way to being able to speak correct English. There's no need to visit places where English is the mother language. You just have to constantly surround yourself with English. An environment where you can have a conversation with English speaking people will make fluency much easier to achieve. Never limit yourself in a society that does not speak English, and don't be too intimidated to jump into a conversation with many other people. Wallow in the language and remember that nothing beats the feeling of fearlessly facing the world and successfully putting everything that you have learned to good use.Immerse yourself in the language.
- 6It would also be helpful if you continuously read a lot of texts (say books or articles) written in the English language. It will help you enhance your vocabulary bank and practice your grammar analysis skill. Constant reading will eventually help you in conveying your message in English more naturally. It is a good stepping stone for you to build your confidence in terms of speaking since you have already acquired a good number of English words and terms through reading. Exposing yourself in books is not the be-all and end-all of learning a new language since some of you may actually find it quite boring. There is actually another way of doing it and that is through watching English movies. Most of us learn to adapt something once we get used to it. In case you want to become more fluent in English, it will be best if you always listen to conversations done in English. But it should not just end in listening, you should be able to comprehend what you hear. That is why, watching movies is a good idea since it will not only give you visual pleasure, it will also train your English comprehension.Expose yourself.
- 7Anything that is not put into use will just get wasted. It is really best if you will start speaking in English NOW. Do not get too conscious about the grammar yet. That will come in time. As you constantly speak English, you will not let this get in to you anymore. So today, start conversing with your friends, family and even your colleagues in English and in no time, you will surely become a pro! Good luck!Practice a lot.
Online resources to practice English
There are a number of online resources that can help non-native speakers to practice English skills. You have to look for reliable resources because otherwise, you may end up speaking worse English than before. Choosing reliable resources is not always easy, so you have to be careful and research more in order to find the best resources online.
- 1These sites offer from basic English to advanced English lessons to help students become fluent in English. They give quizzes and tests to gauge the student's grasp of the lessons given.Sites that offer free interactive English lessons.Advertisement
- 2You can have access to thousands of videos online. From movies to news to documentaries and to almost about anything else. You have to look for videos from native English speakers and listen to them. We will learn how to have a proper conversation, how to construct your sentences and how to pronounce correctly. You can also listen to speeches. As you watch and listen to these videos, you will learn a lot.Videos.
- 3There are a lot of articles on the web. Most of them are written in English, but not everything is from native English speakers. Some articles were written by people who only speak English as their second language. Some are good, but you will probably notice that some are not that good. You will find some that have grammar issues, and the most common mistakes are with spelling. If you are having problems, you will have to be more vigilant in reading articles. You have to be observant of the grammar rules.Articles.
- 4You can refer to these services as needed. You have easy access to the meanings of words and their synonyms and antonyms. Make sure to use reliable dictionaries in your searches.Online Dictionaries and Encyclopedias.
- 5You can try to write some sentences and check the grammar checker, to see if what you have written is grammatically correct. This tool is very useful because you cannot just rely on the spelling and grammar checker on Microsoft Word when you are typing. The grammar checker is more comprehensive when it comes to checking the grammar of what you write.Online Grammar Checkers.
- 6There are paid tutors online who can help you practice your English. There are online schools where you may enroll and they have a curriculum to follow in teaching their students. They will assign a tutor and you can have a one on one interaction. They also give an assessment to the students in oral and in writing, to check whether the student had learned something from the tutor.Online English Tutorials.
- 7You may join conversations in chat rooms and forums to have the confidence to have a conversation with other people. Join Native English chatters or forum posters to learn from them. You have to read how they construct their sentences.Chat rooms and Forums.Advertisement
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Talk to non-native friends and practice being fluent with them. Enjoy the language and grow further with your friends.
- Learn from the TV shows or movies that you watch. Observe how actors use certain phrases.
- Do not be afraid to conquer something new or different.
Categories : Language
Recent edits by: Ephraim, Lynn, Rose B