Be a Good Father
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Jonathan, Lynn and 1 other
A man named Michael wondered where he went wrong when his son decided to leave home. He was thinking that maybe he should have been a better parent. Terry, who lives in Spain, seems to have done well as a Dad. His son Andrew says he always remembers his Father taking the time to take him for trips, playing with and reading with him.
It is not easy to try to be the best Dad. There are basic rules you can follow that can help.
- 1Make Time For Your Family.Advertisement
- 2In order to communicate properly with your kids, you need to be a careful listener. Try to always listen without overreacting. If you are quick to lose your temper or judge them, than they will be afraid to come to you when they are in need of help. Try to talk things over in a calm way.Good Fathers Are Good Communicators.Advertisement
- 3Even when you might feel frustrated or angry, discipline should always be an expression of concern and love for your child. It involves correction, education, and punishment when needed. Discipline can be work better when you commend your child regularly. You will be able to build confidence in your children, and motivate them to never give up in doing what is right.Give Loving Discipline and Commendation.
- 4The way a husband exercises his headship will affect the children. A group of experts noted that when the dad and mom respect each other, the children will feel safe and secure.Love and Respect Your Wife.
- 5It is important for Fathers to make sure their child learns to have a close relationship with God. Antonio's daughter wrote her Dad a note one day and thanked him for teaching her about God, and to love him and always obey him as we do our parents. There is a lot more to Fatherhood than just looking over the five points we talked about. You can try to be the best example for your children, but remember, you are not perfect either. But if you put these things into practice that we have discussed, you can have success at trying!Apply God's Practical Wisdom.
Fathers who are appreciated
- 1Sierra, age 5.My Dad with me and reads a book to me at night.Advertisement
- 2Other times we will be working, and he will stop and say..Let's do something fun. Michael, age 10.We can have tons of fun playing, and then he will say "It's time to clean up now".
- 3Even after so many years, he cooks just like mom does, and helps clean the house. Andrew, age 32.My Father has never allowed his job to prevent him from helping my mom at home.
Make your kids feel they are getting quality time with their dad
- 1"No time is time wasted when spent with your child."Live by the motto.Advertisement
- 2Otherwise "time" will teach them to live without you.Always spend lots of time with your loved ones.
- 3"Children spell love ... T-I-M-E." - quoted by Dr. Anthony P. WithamRemember:
- 4Instead of going out with your friends in your free time, you would rather spend your time with your children and indulge in quality time with them.
- 5And you are willing to call in to your work or your business so you can attend to the needs of the sick child.When one of your kids is sick.
- 6Just to be with your teenager who wants urgently to talk to you about something important to him or her.When you are willing to drop everything you are doing at the moment.
- 7Zombies 2, or doing the hula hoop to make your daughter laugh, just do it. It is worth all the giggles and the hugs and the lap sittings that you get.Even when it is something so "silly", like ballet dancing with your kid, cheering him on as he plays Plants Vs.
- 8Take a bath with them (wear your swimming trunks please) in the shower and be genuinely interested in their rubber ducky and other waterproof toys.
- 9Ignore all your electronic devices for a day and get dirty with them. If you are inside the house, play board games, do lego construction, or play chess and Mastermind. If you are outside the house, if you are with your boys, build a table from scratch, or if you have time, a treehouse. Mess with the garden, plant anything. With the girls, play with their tea set or their dollhouse. With both boys and girls, play basketball or throw frisbees or play hide and seek.Have a gadget free day.
- 10It looks like a lot of work, but it will be fun, especially when it comes to getting wet, sudsy (from the car shampoo), and dirty (from the grease and the car dirt).Wash the car with the kids.
- 11If you can, make it a point that each child gets to spend time with you alone during the course of the vacation.Travel with the kids.
- 12Also make it a point to be in attendance in events that are important to the kid (and that he is good at) like ballgames, recitals and recognition events.Never, never be absent on their birthdays or Christmas and other special occasions.
- 13And mean it so sincerely.When talking with your kid, treat him or her like the only person in the world.
- 14Read them stories, like Bible stories and any feel-good stories. Then say a meaningful prayer with them before kissing them good night.Tuck them in bed.Advertisement
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Parenting
Recent edits by: Lynn, Jonathan, Charmed