Be Well Groomed for a Corporate Environment
Edited by Christine dela Cruz, Kathleen, Lynn, Ndumiso and 2 others
Do you believe that personal branding is one of the key factors toward success in a corporate setting? Do you often find yourself confused as to what is actually required in terms of grooming in the office? This does not have to be complicated. You just need to start with the basic things and you're ready to rock the corporate world!
Basic Components of Grooming
- 1Cleanliness is crucial whenever talking about grooming. This is not just about looking neat on the outside, but also about really ensuring that basic personal hygiene is thoroughly taken care of.Cleanliness.Advertisement
- 2A person may be clean, yet he may not be dressed appropriately for the environment or situation. This still comes across as poor grooming. For example, wearing a leather jacket during summer time is inappropriate. Because it is not appropriate for the weather, it can make you all sweaty and dirty-looking.Propriety.Advertisement
- 3Grooming is not just about being and feeling clean, but it is also about being presentable enough to interact with other people. Facing other people with a disheveled look, such as when you just got out of bed is definitely not presentable and is very distracting to others.Presentable Appearance.
Things to Consider When Working in a Corporate Environment
- 1When you present yourself, think about the image that the company wants to uphold. Most companies package themselves in a way that creates the impression that they are experts in their industries. Human resources are definitely the key players in fulfilling this desired image. Therefore, as part of the company, you should not walk into your office looking like you cannot even take care of basic things about yourself.Upholding company image.Advertisement
- 3Companies are becoming more flexible in terms of the level of formality that needs to be followed in the office. IT companies, for example, are more lenient with their employees in terms of dress code, especially for those roles in the company that do not need any face-to-face interaction with clients. Some of them would allow jeans, rubber shoes, plain T-shirts, and the like. On the other hand, there are companies like banks, or those in front-office functions that have a high level of customer interaction, which require strictly formal outfits. Part of grooming is ensuring that these corporate rules are adhered to. If you know your job requires constant interaction with customers and colleagues, make sure you fulfill the basic things that make you worthy enough to deal with people.Acceptable level of formality.
What is Considered Well Groomed in a Corporate Setting?
- 1This includes following a certain routine, not just at home before and after going to work, but also in the office, such as brushing your teeth after meals and freshening up from time to time.Practice of basic personal hygiene.Advertisement
- 2Corporate environments normally do not require luxurious or extremely fashionable outfits, except of course if you work in the fashion industry or even advertising. You can definitely work with very basic outfits such as plain black skirts or slacks, inner shirt, and a matching plain blazer. You can easily mix and match these things. They don't even need to be popular brand names. However, the most important is that you keep your outfit always looking neat and clean. Pay attention to creases as well as unsightly lint. Polish your shoes all the time.Basic but neat outfits.
- 3Manicured nails, for example, are good. However, use of flashy and glittery nail polish is considered bad grooming. This is the same with wearing perfumes or colognes. It is not bad, but too much of it is disturbing.Avoidance of anything in excess.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
Hi, I wanted to copy the image for a power point?
Hi, I wanted to copy the image for a power point.
The images on VisiHow articles are under a Creative Commons License. Images can be used for educational purposes with credit to the VisiHow article mentioned. Image Deletion Policy and Do Basic Wiki Code for VisiHow.com Writers are VisiHow articles that explain how images are added to the website.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Beauty & Aesthetics
Recent edits by: Eng, Ndumiso, Lynn