Battle Diarrhea with Home Remedies
Edited by Witz Taluban, Robbi, Ermin, Graeme and 4 others
Have you eaten something that's irritated your stomach? Have you been suffering from repetitive watery bowel movements? And are you here to look for some home remedies to utilize, instead of taking modern medications? If you are, then you are in the right place. We will be discussing some home remedies in this article that you can use to treat diarrhea. Diarrhea can be a serious issue - especially when you have to go to work or school. You cannot go because of your condition. You may miss important classes or assignments in class, and at work, depending on your job, you may have pay deducted from your salary, or at the very least, lose a sick day.
There are two types of Diarrhea:
- 1This is caused by a viral infection. This can occur if a person eats foods or drinks beverages that are contaminated with bacteria. However, this is only a short-term stomach problem. Other causes include lactose intolerance, over intake of vitamin C, and taking over-the-counter medications, like antacids. Montezuma's Revenge falls under this category.Acute diarrhea.Advertisement
- 2May last for several days, or for much longer. It is usually a symptom of a more serious condition, like Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and you should go see a doctor for medical care. Some infants, children, and elderly are much more prone to getting chronic diarrhea, which may worsened due to other health complications.Chronic diarrhea.Advertisement
Some Suggestions to Help Relieve Diarrhea
To treat diarrhea in no time, you may follow the tips below:
- 1Yogurt has live microorganisms or probiotics that can help relieve problems in the digestive tract. Some types of bacteria in our bodies are harmful and some of them may have come from the foods we eat. The live microorganisms found in yogurts are friendly bacteria that work to terminate the harmful bacteria in your stomach. Eating probiotic yogurts can also help you relieve stomach upsets and other symptoms of diarrhea.Eat yogurt.
- 2However cheese also contains good bacteria so you can eat cheese to help.Avoid eating dairy products like butter and milk.
- 3Like yogurt, cheese has friendly bacteria as well. This is not difficult to do, because you just have to eat two slices of cheese a day. However, you should be aware of the type of cheese. Cheese contains actose in varying amounts depending on the type. If you cannot tolerate lactose, you should avoid eating cheese containing lactose. One of the causes of diarrhea is lactose intolerance.Eat some cheese.
- 4If you are suffering from diarrhea, you should only take broth meals, such as chicken noodle soup or rice porridge. These are good foods for people with diarrhea. Rice porridge can help relieve diarrhea very quickly. If you start experiencing the bothersome diarrhea, you may want to eat rice porridge, and after few hours, your diarrhea will be completely gone. Chicken noodle soup is also good for treating diarrhea, because it can replenish some fluids you have lost from frequent bowel movements.Drink broth and eat porridge.
- 5Food poisoning can cause diarrhea, too. One of the effective herbal medications to treat food poisoning is to consume ginger, whether it is a tea or in raw. Ginger has been used for treating diarrhea since the ancient times. It will also relieve stomach upsets and abdominal cramps.Take ginger.
- Grate a teaspoon of raw ginger and add a teaspoon of honey, and take like cough syrup.
- After eating ginger, avoid drinking water.
- Another way to prepare is to make a ginger tea. To make this, you just have to add raw ginger into a pot with water. Bring to boil and then strain the liquid using a sieve or funnel into a cup. Add some honey and serve.
- 6Pectin is a gelling agent that is used to help in treating diarrhea. There are natural foods that have a high source of pectin. Some of these are carrots, apples, citrus fruits, corn flakes, strawberries, grapefruits, oranges, and beans. Pectin can be found in almost all vegetables and fruits.Eat foods containing pectin.
- 7This is extracted from apples. As we all know, apples are rich sources of pectin that can help alleviate symptoms of diarrhea. It can also kill the bacteria that caused the diarrhea.Try apple cider vinegar.
- Add 1 tsp. of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and drink it every meal until the symptoms subside. Do not drink apple cider vinegar alone, as it can cause some adverse effects.
- 8Blackberries are rich in tannin, a yellowish or brownish compound found in plants. Tannin is used for tanning, dying, and producing astringents. In treating diarrhea, tannin can be very helpful, and it is found in blackberries. In traditional medicine, blackberries have been used for treating diarrhea.Drink blackberry tea.
- Buy dried blackberries at your local supermarket.
- Add 2 tbsp. of dried blackberries to 1 1/2 of cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Strain the liquid using a sieve or funnel into a cup and serve.
- You may add some honey to taste, as well.
- Drink blackberry tea several times a day until your diarrhea disappears.
- 9Use the recipe above, substituting the 2 tbsp. of dried blackberries with dried chamomile flowers, or just purchase chamomile tea bags.Apart from blackberry tea, you may also want to drink chamomile tea.
- 10Starchy foods will help reduce the symptoms brought on by diarrhea. You should eat starchy foods when you are suffering from the uncomfortable stomach problem. Starchy foods include mashed potatoes, pastas, bread, steamed white rice, ready-to-eat cereals, bananas, and many more.Eat starchy foods.
- 11Fenugreek seeds are aromatic seeds that can also help treat diarrhea, because of their mucilage contents, they work as an anti-diarrheal agent. To prepare a homemade remedy using these seeds, you just have to add two tbsp. of fenugreek seeds to a cup of yogurt and mix them well. You should eat this mixture three times daily for a quick recovery.Eat fenugreek seeds.
- 12It's most important to drink plenty of water. We all know how beneficial water is in our daily lives. For treating diarrhea, it can re-supply the amount of liquid lost from frequent watery bowel movements. Do not forget to drink plenty of water while suffering from diarrhea to avoid dehydration.Drink plenty of water.Advertisement
- If you are going to use the above information for treating diarrhea in kids, please check with your doctor first to make sure the home remedy you are about to utilize is safe for them. Children's digestive systems are more sensitive than in adults. The same goes for elderly, as well. There may be some interactions from the above home remedies with medications they are already taking. To avoid all these potential issues, always ask your doctor about home remedies.
Questions and Answers
How to battle diarrhea?
To battle diarrhea, you have to know what caused the diarrhea in the first place. If it's not so severe, you can eat foods that can help treat diarrhea like apples, bananas and grapes. If you are having a chronic diarrhea, which lasts for days, or longer, you should seek medical help.
You have to make sure that you replenish your body's fluids and electrolytes when you have diarrhea so that you will not be dehydrated. Drink a lot of water and fruit juices to keep your body rehydrated. These can also flush those toxins within the body.
There are over the counter medicines to that can help you with diarrhea like Loperamide which gives immediate relief of diarrhea. These might be good if nothing else works, but it's always good to try less invasive methods first.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Nuance, Alma, Doug Collins