Battle Diarrhea with Home Remedies
Edited by Witz Taluban, Robbi, Ermin, Graeme and 3 others
Have you eaten something that irritated your stomach? Have you been suffering from repetitive watery bowel movements? And are you here to look for some home remedies to utilize, aside from taking modern medications? If you are, then you are in the right place. I will be tackling some home remedies in this article that you can use to treat diarrhea. Diarrhea is indeed a serious trouble whenever you have to go to work or school. You cannot go because of your condition. You will be marked absent at school and at work, and thus it will deduct your salary and lower your grades at school.
Diarrhea has two types: Acute and chronic diarrhea. Acute diarrhea is caused by viral infection. This can occur if a person eats foods or drinks beverages that are contaminated with bacteria. However, this is only a short-term stomach problem. Other causes include lactose intolerance, over intake of vitamin C, and taking over-the-counter medications, like antacids. On the other hand, chronic diarrhea may last for several days, and you should go see a doctor for medical care. Some infants, children, and elderly are much more prone to getting chronic diarrhea, which may have worsened due to other health complications. To treat diarrhea in no time, you may follow the tips below:
- 1Eat yogurt.Yogurt has live microorganisms or probiotics that can help relieve problems in the digestive tract. Some types of bacteria in our bodies are harmful and some of them may have come from the foods we eat. The live microorganisms found in yogurts are friendly bacteria which can help terminate the harmful bacteria in your stomach. Eating probiotic yogurts can also help you relieve stomach upsets and other symptoms of diarrhea. You should avoid eating other dairy products like butter and milk. However cheese also contains good bacteria so you can eat cheese to help.Advertisement
- 2Eat some cheese.Like yogurt, cheese has friendly bacteria as well. This is not difficult to do, because you just have to eat two slices of cheese a day. However, you should be aware of the type of cheese. Cheese contains lactose in varying amounts depending on the type. If you cannot tolerate lactose, you should avoid eating cheese containing lactose. One of the causes of diarrhea is lactose intolerance.Advertisement
- 3Choose broth and porridge meals in the meantime.If you are suffering from diarrhea, you should only take broth meals, such as chicken noodle soup or rice porridge. These are good foods for people with diarrhea. Rice porridge can help relieve diarrhea very quickly. If you start experiencing the bothersome diarrhea, you may want to eat rice porridge, and after few hours, your diarrhea will be completely gone. Chicken noodle soup is also good for treating diarrhea, because it can replenish some fluids you have lost from frequent bowel movements.
- 4Take ginger herbs.Food poisoning can cause diarrhea, too. One of the effective herbal medications to treat food poisoning is to consume ginger herbs, whether it is a tea or in raw. Ginger has been used for treating diarrhea since the old times. It can also relieve stomach upsets and abdominal cramps. To eat ginger instantly, you just have to grate a piece of ginger and add 1 tsp. of honey to taste. Eat the ginger and avoid drinking water after the consumption. Another way to prepare is to make a ginger tea. To make this, you just have to add raw gingers into a pot with water. Bring to boil and then strain the liquid using a sieve into a cup. Add some honey and serve.
- 5Eat foods containing pectin.Pectin is a gelling agent that is used to help in treating diarrhea. There are natural foods that have a high source of pectin. Some of these are carrots, apples, citrus fruits, corn flakes, strawberries, grapefruits, oranges, and beans. Pectin can be found in almost all vegetables and fruits.
- 6Try apple cider vinegar.This is extracted from apples. As we all know, apples are rich sources of pectin that can help alleviate symptoms of diarrhea. It can also kill the bacteria that cause diarrhea. However, there is a method to follow on how to consume apple cider vinegar to treat diarrhea. To do this, you just have to add 1 tsp. of apple cider vinegar into a glass of water and drink it every meal until the symptoms subside. Do not drink apple cider vinegar alone, as it can cause some adverse effects.
- 7Drink blackberry tea.Blackberries are rich in tannin, a yellowish or brownish compound found in plants. Tannin is used for tanning, dying, and producing astringents. In treating diarrhea, tannin can be very helpful, and it is found in blackberries. In traditional medicine, blackberries have been used for treating diarrhea. To make a blackberry tea, you may buy dried blackberries at your local supermarket. Once you have some dried blackberries, you may add 2 tbsp. of it and 1 1/2 of water into a pot and bring them to boil. Then, strain the liquid using a sieve into a cup and serve. You may add some honey to taste, as well. You should drink blackberry tea several times a day until your diarrhea disappears. Apart from blackberries, you may also want to drink chamomile tea.
- 8Eat starchy foods.Starchy foods can help reduce the symptoms brought by diarrhea. You should eat starchy foods when you are suffering from the uncomfortable stomach problem. Starchy foods include mashed potatoes, pastas, white bread, steamed white rice, ready-to-eat cereals, bananas, and many more. Because of the repetitive watery bowel movements, you will lose some important nutrients in your stomach. To re-supply or re-gain them, you should eat starchy foods.
- 9Eat fenugreek seeds.Fenugreek seeds are aromatic seeds that can also help treat diarrhea, because of its mucilage contents, an anti-diarrheal agent. To prepare a homemade remedy using these seeds, you just have to add two tbsp. of fenugreek seeds into a cup of yogurt and mix them well. You should eat this mixture three times daily for a quick recovery.
- 10Drink plenty of water.And lastly, the most important of all is to drink plenty of water. We all know how beneficial water is in our daily lives. In treating diarrhea, it can re-supply the amount of liquid lost from frequent watery bowel movements. Do not forget to drink plenty of water while suffering from diarrhea to avoid dehydration.Advertisement
- If you are going to use the above information in treating diarrhea in kids, please see your doctor first if the home remedy you are about to utilize can be applied to them. Children's digestive systems are more sensitive than in adults. The same goes for elderly, as well. There may be some interactions from the above home remedies with their medications they are taking. To avoid all these circumstances, always ask your doctor about home remedies.
Questions and Answers
How to battle diarrhea?
To battle diarrhea, you have to know the cause why you are having diarrhea. If it is not so severe, you can eat foods that can help treat diarrhea like apples, bananas and grapes. If you are having a chronic diarrhea which lasts for days, you should seek medical help.
You have to make sure that you replenish your body's fluids and electrolytes when you have diarrhea so that you will not be dehydrated. Drink a lot of water and fruit juices to keep your body rehydrated. These can also flush those toxins within the body.
There are over the counter medicines to that can help you with diarrhea like Loperamide which gives immediate relief of diarrhea.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Doug Collins, Anonymous, Graeme