Bake a Cherry Pie
Edited by Geraldin Carniyan, vc, Rebecca M., Eng and 1 other
If you think that cherry pie can only be present during the holidays, the Fourth of July or birthdays, then you're wrong. Who wouldn't fall in love with a very nice looking and sweet smelling cherry pie in an ordinary day? While other pastries may require baking expertise, cherry pie is one of those that are easy breezy to make and don't give you the guilt of satisfying sinful cravings. This means that you can eat this pastry guilt-free! It also lowers the risk of colon cancer and heart diseases and improves the quality of your sleep. Cherry pie is not only delicious but is very beneficial even up to your bedtime!
Baking a Cherry Pie
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius
- Peel all three apples and cut them into large chunks. Bramley apples compliment the taste of other fruits very well. They can be easily used in other recipes that have fruits in them.
- Once all of the apples are cut, pour the sugar over them and toss to evenly coat each piece. Place them in the oven for 20 minutes at 190 degrees Celsius. Make sure not to go over the time frame, so the sugar won't burn.
- Grease your baking tin with butter and dust your working surface with flour. Roll out the pastry using your rolling pin. Dust it with more flour if needed and make sure to turn it frequently to avoid it from sticking to the surface. Do this process until you achieve the right size of the dough.
- Fold up the pastry into a square and and put it inside the tin. Once it's in, unfold it and, using your fingertips, push it in the corners to make sure that the tin if perfectly coated with the dough.
- Trim off the excess dough on the sides of the baking tin. Make a ball out of the leftover dough and set it aside.
- Take out the apples from the oven and mix the cherries with it, and then pour them into the baking tin.
- Roll out the dough ball and make it a long strip. Using your five-wheel dough cutter, cut the, into strips.
- Take some water and wet the edges of the dough in the baking tin, then lay each dough strip over the top of the baking tin.
- Wet the top of the strips and sprinkle some caster sugar on top of it. You can now put it inside the over for 30 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius and lower the temperature down to 140 degrees Celsius for another 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, let your cherry pie cool down and serve it. Enjoy!
Cherry Pie Bars
Cherry pie is not only limited to one type of recipe. You can experiment on a few to see which of them will be you family's favorite. Here is one cherry pie that is easy to make and is perfect for snacks and picnic. This can also be and attention grabber if you are hosting the lunch or dinner with your friends. It isn't going to take much of your time, so you are not only going to have a good time, but will also make everybody taste buds happy. The kids and kids at heart will surely love it!
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Celsius and grease your baking pan with butter or spray it with cooking spray before you start. Now add the salt to the flour and whisk them together then set it aside.
- Put the butter in the mixing bowl, and cream it together for one to two minutes. Then the add the eggs, vanilla extract and almond oil and mix them again for one to two minutes.
- Add the flour to the wet ingredients and start mixing them again. Start with low speed so the flour won't come out of the bowl. Once it's been well incorporated, you can turn up to speed to medium and finished it off. Make sure that there are no more lumps when you remove the mixing bowl.
- Drop the rest of the batter on top of the filling. You can now put it in the preheated oven for 30-45 minutes. To check if it's already cooked, use a toothpick and see if it comes out clean. Once cooked, let it cool on a wire rack.
- Pour the vanilla extract, almond extract and milk into the powdered sugar and whisk them together until the mixture becomes thick.
- Put an icing pipe into a glass and pour the glaze in it. Remove the icing pipe and cut its end to make a tiny opening for the glaze.
- Drizzle the glaze on top of the pastry and make sure that all parts has a fair share.
- You can now cut the pie into small squares and start serving them to your family and friend.
I hope that these recipes will help you make your holidays and even ordinary days special. Remember that cherries are not only yummy but are full of nutrition for the health of your loved ones. Enjoy!
- Use ingredients that are all in room temperature so that they are easier to mix and they all get cooked at the time.
- Make sure that the pie has already cooled down before serving it, especially to the kids. They will be very excited for sure so make sure that your cherry pie and bars aren't too hot for them to handle.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.