Bake a Blueberry Pie
Edited by Pia Marie Villamante, Eng, Lynn, Anonymous and 3 others
A pie is a dish usually made of pastry dough that contains a filling of different kinds of sweet or savory ingredients. In this case blueberry, although you can substitute almost any other berry in this recipe. There are various kinds of pie, namely apple pie, pumpkin pie, egg pie, pecan pie and many more. But what will be discussed here is how to make a delicious blueberry pie.
- 1Mix the following ingredients, blueberries, lemon zest, all-purpose flour, cinnamon, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl.
- 2Then pour the mixture in the prepared pie plate.
- 3Dot with butter pieces.
- 1Whip egg and milk together to make an egg wash.
- 1Heat oven to 420 degrees F.
- 2In a large bowl, sift together flour and salt.
- 3Using a cutter, pastry blender or fork, cut in the margarine or butter until the mixtures forms a coarse crumbs.
- 4Add cold water one tablespoon at a time then mix with fork.Repeat until the last drop of the cold water and the dough takes form on its shape.
- 5Form two balls out of the dough.The first ball of dough needs to be larger than the other one.
- 6Roll the bigger dough in a floured surface, flatten until it fits the size of the base of the pie place.
- 7Transfer the rolled pastry to the pie plate.Trim the excess or hanging pastry at the edge using scissor or knife. Make sure to leave at least (1) one inch of the pastry hanging over the edge.
- 8Prick the bottom and sides using a fork or knife.This will prevent the bubbling of the pastry. It is done to incorporate air and for the heat to evenly cook the pie.
- 9Pour in the blueberry filling.
- 10Top it with the other crust (rolled and flattened).
- 11Trim the edges and leave also at least (1) one inch of the pastry hanging.
- 12Pinch together the overhang pastry from the bottom and top crust.Fold or roll them together to seal the filling inside and to form a decorative edge.
- 13Cut at least 4 inches cross (X) in the center of the top pastry crush before putting it in the oven.
- 14Brush the top with the egg wash.
- 15Place the pie on the middle rack of the oven to catch any filling that may bubble over.Bake for 20 minutes at 425 degrees F.
- 16Reduce heat to 345 degrees F and bake for 20-40 minutes more until the juices are bubbling and have thickened.Transfer to a tray to cool.
- 17Serve after cooling.Advertisement
- Keep in mind that the blueberry filling will likely be high in the beginning but should settle some when it cooks. Don't worry about the change in height. The dough should settle with the filling.
- If you do not have a clean work space to roll the dough, you can use a cling wrap.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.